BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Oxygen Sensor

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  chgolatin2 
#1 ·
1998 540i
Peake Research R5/FCX-II

I recently brought my car to a BMW dealer to replace the driveshaft. Soon after the check engine light came one. After some back-and-forth with the dealer I bought the Peake code reader tool to find out what the problem is. The code reader reports errors on all 4 oxygen sensors. I looked underneath the car and they seem to be plugs in ok. Could all 4 break at the same time? Any suggestion or insight would be appreciated.
RJ

#3 ·
Maybe the wiring harness was damaged during the driveshaft replacement? I just had a new clutch installed, and the Service Engine light was on when I picked it up from the dealer on Friday. Today the service advisor called to say that the error code indicated a problem with an oxygen sensor.

It seems odd to me that both of us had work done on our drive trains, and we both now have failed oxygen sensors. My dealer is fixing mine, and your dealer should be fixing yours.

Greg

#4 ·
em-dash said:
Maybe the wiring harness was damaged during the driveshaft replacement? I just had a new clutch installed, and the Service Engine light was on when I picked it up from the dealer on Friday. Today the service advisor called to say that the error code indicated a problem with an oxygen sensor.

It seems odd to me that both of us had work done on our drive trains, and we both now have failed oxygen sensors. My dealer is fixing mine, and your dealer should be fixing yours.

Greg
Just to provide an update for posterity, the wiring harness for the O2 sensor was severed when they replaced the clutch. Rather than going over the bell housing, the harness (or what was left of it) ended up inside the bell housing.

Greg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.