BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Ordered 2013 X5 50i

10K views 82 replies 14 participants last post by  ktono 
#1 ·
Can't wait to receive my new 2013 X5. I had previously posted on other topics that I may wait for the 2014 F15. With my lease ending and February and only being able to extend 6 months, the timing would be too close for comfort. What I ended up with:

Platinum Gray
Nevada Black Sport Seats
Brushed Aluminum Trim
Sport Activity Package
20" Y Spoke 336 wheels w/RFTs
Premium Package 2
Cold Weather Package
Third Row Seats
BMW Apps, Satellite Radio
BMW Tablet DVD System

Was able to place the order on the last day of availability for an order in the 112 status. Should receive late December. Couple of thoughts up for comment from the community:

I wonder what the ride stiffness, comfort will be with the 20" wheels and the Sport Activity.

How functional is the DVD Tablet System? I have the factory center mounted system on my 2010 48i and hated it. Was always in the way of the center console and could not be seen from the third row. The behind the headrest $1,450 option looks too clunky. Thoughts on either of these would be appreciated. Why BMW cannot have an solution the is integrated in the headrest is unbelievable. I understand the "active headrests" but the GL450 had them.

Color combination. Is the interior too dark with the black seats and anthracite headliner? I almost went with the contrast of an Oyster interior but with two you kids I decided to lighten it up with the aluminum trim. I currently have Sapphire Black with the Cinnamon interior and loved it but not for another 3 years.

Thanks for any feedback and will try to post picks when received. I can't wait for the increased twin turbo power and sharper handling with the Sport Activity and 20" wheels.

See less See more
#2 ·
I haven't looked at the dvd tablet system, I figured when my kid is old enough to need it, I'll just use the iPad holder and they can use that to watch videos. It looks like it mounts almost the same way as the dvd tablet, you just provide the iPad.

Your 50i will have the standard suspension with the air suspension in the rear, so it should ride like any current X5 with 20" wheels with the third row, if you can find one to test drive. If your 2010 had the Sport package, you had adaptive drive, which will have ridden quite a bit differently then the standard suspension. The current Sport Activity package doesn't change the suspension at all on the 50i, the M Sport and/or 3rd row both add the rear air suspension, if you want adaptive drive, you have to order it as it's no longer included in any package.

#3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply. I did not have the sport suspension with my 2010 just the third row and standard 18" RFTs. This may be quite a change but I have really liked the air suspension, enough to not get the adaptive drive. I read too many posts that had widely varying opinions on adaptive drive and was not able to find one locally to test drive. Several have said that the 20" were floaty with adaptive drive compared to the air suspension or sport suspension. We shall see but I'm sure it will handle better and am anxious to see.

#4 ·
Congratulations. Looks like you'll be a little ahead of me in line--my order, also entered today, isn't in 112 status. I went also went with a 50i, carbon black over black with aluminum trim. Didn't get the comfort seats, the tech package, or lane keeping assist, but did go with pretty much everything else (including both M packages and 20" wheels).

#5 ·
...and sharper handling with the Sport Activity and 20" wheels.
not sure either of those will improve handling....

#6 ·
Ordered - 11/29
Production Started - 12/4 with VIN#

Should be a couple weeks away from receipt at dealer. Then a few days for prep, front window tinting and DVD install. Does anyone know the matching tint % to match the back windows? Dealer says 35% combined with a glass shatter protection film like the rear windows have from the factory will be very close to matching. Is this correct or is it difficult and not just a straight % ?

#7 ·
I wonder what the ride stiffness, comfort will be with the 20" wheels and the Sport Activity.

Great engine that you picked; congrats! As for the question above -- I'm not a fan of Bridgestone RFT with 20 inch wheel option and non-sport suspension. Tires seem to deflect on certain impacts instead of being compliant, and high unsprung weight of the 20 inch wheel coupled with non-sport shock tuning is an odd combo. Seems like damping was optimized for something less than a 20 inch wheel. Running 18" wheels with narrow non-rft winter tires now and much happier wiuth the E70 suspension. By comparsion my 4.8is suspension feels dialed, even with the weighty 20's.

#8 ·
Floaty with AD???? I have 336's and 211's(07 sport 19's) for my winters and the only thing I really notice is when cornering. In regular driving, there is no float in the 20's or 19's. When cornering in a spirited fashion, the 19 winters are softer and do exhibit a minor float or lack of confidence. It actually makes the car feel more like a std suspension with less body roll but the softness is communicated. If you drive you BMW with some spirit, the AD is very noticeable option. Not to mention the AD makes for a better std ride. I had a non-AD x5 sport w/ 214's for close to 60 days while BMW was fixing my lemoned 2011 and it was very apparent that the car did not have AD

#12 ·
I took delivery of my X5 10 Days after it entered production.:)

#14 ·
Have they given you a quote for your S4 at Passport? Talk to Dave Comfort tell him Erik Z sent you.

#15 ·
Appreciate the referral. One of my clients just did some work for Passport on the used side, and so also referred me to Dave. So I've already got a quote from Passport, and I suspect it's as high as their going to go. According to Edmunds, It's reasonable, but would like to beat it if possible. I just don't have the energy or time for a private sale (car's up on USAA.com, which was low effort on my part).

#17 ·
Just checked online and the status has been updated to completed the "Finishing Touches" stage. I am guessing that this means it has been loaded onto the car hauler and is in route to the dealer. Wonder how many dealers are between SC and KS that have orders being filled.

#18 ·
I also noticed that the specs online list Sports Seats and Multi-Contour Seats. I did not add the Multi-Contour Sears option when I built it online and priced with my CA. Is this a mistake or do they come as part of another option on the 50i? The spec sheet from my CA does not list them either. Is there a difference between the seats? Interesting.

#20 ·
$900 option in the M-sport package might also be the same in Sports Activity package.

Well worth the $.

#21 ·
Interesting. I just used the BMW configuration for invoice pricing and see that with my options the difference to MSRP is 5,700. I received 3,000 discount plus the holiday and loyalty credits totaling 2,250 for a grand total of 5,250 off. Is this good or should I push for 5,700 from the dealer and then the BMW discounts on top of that?

#23 ·
Get the best price you can as close to invoice as possible. Then deduct Holiday, Loyalty, Ultimate drive app, USAA(if you qualify).

#34 ·
Multi Contour has power adjustable shoulder support front to rear (top 1/3 of backrest can tilt forward and aft), as well as power adjustable thigh and side bolster support.

As for the orange peel, do a search, there was a thread a couple months ago that had good pictures of what decent paint looks like compared to our X5s... its a shame really. I always thought my GM paint was bad.

Jay

#38 ·
Thanks for the information on the seats regarding the differences and the BMW online error listing them incorrectly.

Jay - I will definitely look at that thread to see what orange peel is. I have a bright red repainted C3 Vette and have many people comment on how pure the paint looks without any orange peel. Never really researched what that meant just knew the color looked amazing and not too dark or any hint of orange like a light red would look like. The vintage "red" on corvettes had an orange tint maybe this was really orange peel instead of the tinting.

#39 ·
Jay - I will definitely look at that thread to see what orange peel is. I have a bright red repainted C3 Vette and have many people comment on how pure the paint looks without any orange peel. Never really researched what that meant just knew the color looked amazing and not too dark or any hint of orange like a light red would look like. The vintage "red" on corvettes had an orange tint maybe this was really orange peel instead of the tinting.
Orange peel is a texturing effect, not a coloration effect, as I understand it. And now I'm nervous that my X5 is going to show with a jacked paint job. That's not a problem I've had with any of my Audi's (or my wife's 335), but this thread is worrisome. :yikes:

#58 ·
X5 arrived at the dealer this morning and is going through the setup paces. The front windows will be tinted (30%) tomorrow and hopefully the DVD system will arrive and be installed as well. If not I'm taking delivery and leaving that on the to be done list. Wednesday is the delivery date!

#62 ·
10am tomorrow is the official first look and start of the delivery and paperwork process. My CA called tonight and said that the DVD was installed and the windows finished and it is 100% ready.

Initial voyage will be to a basketball game with 4 screaming Cub Scouts and 3 adults so a full load! Throw in a little snow and this should be a memorable start.

Hope the Denver snow is not too bad and your delivery is still on track.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.