BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Delayed Electrical Shutdown Source

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  fbray 
#1 ·
As most people are aware, the E46 provides a delayed shutdown for many parts of the electrical system after the engine is shut off if the key is not in the accessory position. This is done to prevent battery drain.

I want to use this feature to control a relay to disable some aftermarket electronics after the delay period expires.

Does anyone know of a location where I can pick up +12 volts that turns off after the delay? It needs to provide this voltage regardless of whether a particular device is turned on. For example, using the trunk lights probably wouldn't work since these are powered down anyway when the trunk is closed. Since I am planning to use a relay, this would not need to be a high current source.

I know that there are aftermarket devices that provide this functionality, but if I if I can utilize the built-in function in the car I'd like to do so.

Many thanks for any info / advice.

#2 ·
I plugged my angel eyes into a wire in the ecu that keeps them on for a while after shutdown and eventually turns them off. Does that sound like what you're looking for? Find the instructions explaining what wire on umnitza.com.

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp

#3 ·
Thanks for the suggestion, but I gather that the angel eyes will go off some seconds after the car is shutdown.

What I am looking for is the much longer delay used for other things. I think that there is a function that gives a +10 minute delay in shutting down power to various parts of the electrical system.

I may just go with an aftermarket delay device -- or live with the accessory position. There are plenty of spare fuse positions that could be used for the latter purpose.

#4 ·
Electrical consumer sleep mode

Upon further research, what I am trying to find is where to tap into what BMW calls the "electrical consumer sleep mode." This shuts down electrical power after 16 minutes.

I am trying to figure out whether this function simply sends a K-bus signal to various modules to shut down or whether there is a common +12 volt source that is switched by this function. If so, that is what I want to connect to. Otherwise, I will have to find a device that has its power controlled by the "electrical consumer sleep mode" and access it there. The nav system computer in the trunk might be one option.

I suspect that someone has done this in the past, so that I don't need to re-invent the wheel.

Many thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.