BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

How many Miles did your ordered x1 come with?

4K views 26 replies 14 participants last post by  DonkeyX1 
#1 ·
I ordered my X1 on 12/14/12, Picked it up last night and it had 20 miles on it.

Is that normal? From what I understood custom order BMW's come with 5-8 miles on it.

I'm suspecting joyride, but I'm curious what other users got their's with.

I suppose it shouldn't be that big a deal, but my OCD is kicking in and it's been bothering the heck out of me.

#5 ·
It came in yesterday morning, and I picked up that evening. I called the CA out on it, and he gave me a sheepish look and told me they had to "make sure everything worked right."

I was upset, but at that point, what can you really do? When I bought my 2003 Accord new it had 4 miles on it, and my 2010 MB E350 had 9, and those weren't even custom order!

Love the ride regardless, first BMW:

xDrive28 M Sport
Black Saphire / Coral Red
19" Double Spoke w/ P7 Performance tires
Chrome trim
Ultimate Package
Lighting Package

#7 ·
When mine came in it was unloaded and driven to a parking lot on top of the dealership. My sales gal kept the keys to it until I came to pick it up. No demos in my car. It had 4.8 miles on the clock. Someone likely took your X out for a test drive.

#9 ·
A few things could add some mileage to the car before you get it. Take a look at some of the videos of the transport ships and you can see how you can get some extra mileage if your car was at the farthest from the entrance and then parked in the farthest section of the parking lot. Also, there is a good chance the dealership filled the car with gas, they might not be going to a gas station around the corner but one a few miles away. I know there have been instances of cars getting destroyed by techs on test drives but in reality it is a very rare event.

#15 ·

I found a picture of my on the Autobahn during my ED. Looks like the car had a total of .9 miles on it before I picked it up at the Welt.

I also got to witness cars being rolled out of the factory and onto the train, they make both the F30 and F31 in Munich, so there was a constant stream of them coming out of the factory and being driven directly onto the train. So, to answer your question, no they do not put each car through an extensive test drive.

#18 ·
I also picked up my x1 at the Welt. But it already had 0.2 miles on the odometer. I didn't think 0 miles was possible until the picture above.

#21 ·
The rep at the Welt reset my trip which has .9 miles on it. The odometer does not how tenths, so we both had the same on the odometer, my rep just reset my trip so it was zeros across the board.

greyX1 said:
They do put the engines through an extensive test drive though. Our CA told us that there wasn't really a break in period because they already break in the engines before they're put in the vehicles. I was skeptical so still drove somewhat gingerly the first 1200 miles, but it's interesting how the yapproach it.
This is true about the M engines, but BMW does not do high speed test runs on mass production engines like the N20. I toured the factory in Munich during my ED and the girl who walked my wife and I through (we were the only ones there that day that spoke English) told us that the N20 does not get tested at high speed like the M engines do.

#24 ·
I would never baby the engine at first... I have built and raced many motors. You start driving it like you always are going to. Even harder in some cases. Set that engine and wear it in just as you will be driving it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.