BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

BMW to Replace Passenger-side Front Airbags in 2000-06 3 Series, As a Precaution

212K views 313 replies 108 participants last post by  Doug Huffman 
#1 · (Edited)
(E46) BMW airbag inflator recall

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/06/23/airbag-recall-widens-include-bmw-chrysler-ford-and-toyota/

"BMW is recalling an undisclosed number of 325i, 325Xi, 330i and 330Xi models from the 2001 through 2005 model years and the 2001-2006 model year versions of the 325Ci and 330Ci for the driver side and passenger side inflators. Only vehicles currently registered in Florida, Puerto Rico, Hawaii and the US Virgin Islands are covered under this recall."
FULL PRESS RELEASE:

BMW
RECALL Subject : Frontal Air Bag Inflators may Rupture
Report Receipt Date: JUN 20, 2014
NHTSA Campaign Number: 14V348000
Component(s): AIR BAGS
Potential Number of Units Affected: 0
All Products Associated with this Recall
Vehicle Make Model Model Year(s)
BMW 325CI 2001-2006
BMW325I 2001-2005
BMW325XI 2001-2005
BMW330CI 2001-2006
BMW330I 2001-2005
BMW330XI 2001-2005

Details
Manufacturer: BMW of North America, LLC

SUMMARY:
BMW of North America, LLC (BMW) is conducting a limited regional recall for certain model year 2001-2005 325i, 325xi, 330i, and 330xi, and 2001-2006 325Ci and 330Ci vehicles currently registered in Florida, Puerto Rico, Hawaii and the U.S. Virgin Islands, and equipped with Takata-brand air bag inflators. Upon deployment of the driver side and/or passenger side frontal air bag, excessive internal pressure may cause the inflator to rupture.

CONSEQUENCE:
In the event of a crash necessitating deployment of either of the frontal air bags, the inflator could rupture with metal fragments striking and potentially seriously injuring the vehicle occupants.

REMEDY:
BMW will notify owners, and dealers will replace the frontal air bag(s) free of charge. This recall is expected to begin during August 2014. Owners may contact BMW Customer Relations at 1-800-525-7417.

NOTES:
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.

See less See more
#125 ·
Everything I have read about the Takata airbags in regards to the E46 has been about the passenger side. Not heard of a recall for the driver's side.

Do you have an NHTSA campaign number?

#126 ·
At present, there is no formal recall on the driver's airbag; BMW is engaging in a "special technical campaign" in high-humidity states. The campaign number is 14V-348. BMW's and Takata's goal is to collect driver's airbags for testing to see if the inflators have been adversely affected by long-term exposure to high humidity.

Member 1972ford posted a handy informational PDF to the main discussion thread on the airbag recall. It explains everything.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8694377&postcount=111

Dokebi25, could your car have been previously registered in one of the high-humidity states or Puerto Rico?

#127 ·
I called my closest dealer (BMW of Sterling) yesterday to find out the latest. They are awaiting parts, but the techs are prepared to do the swap. Said it would take ~1 hour.

#130 · (Edited)
#131 ·
#132 ·
#133 · (Edited)
A couple more stories:

BMW says Takata will move its manufacturing of BMW airbag inflators from Monclova, Mexico, to Freiberg, Germany.
BMW says its Takata inflator work moving from Mexico to Germany

The Takata plant in Mexico, under pressure to meet rising demand for inflators, has had problems with quality. Also, it blew up in 2006.
Plant with troubled past at center of Takata air bag probe

EDIT: Perhaps most importantly for E46 owners, BMW told NHTSA this week that it has advised dealers to instruct customers not to allow anyone to sit in the front passenger seat until the airbag has been replaced.
Eight automakers outline Takata recall plans to US safety regulators

And lastly, if you want to see what will happen when your car finally gets its replacement airbag, here's the BMW TSB posted to NHTSA's Web site:
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/UCM463182/RCRIT-14V428-8917.pdf

#136 ·
Dealer just CANCELLED appointment for R/R

of the passenger (front) airbag. They said a "shipment of replacement parts was LOST" and that I would be contacted when the parts were in stock. They initially offered me a loaner vehicle-but I told them I would wait for the repair to be done (if the R/R could be done in less than 3 hr). When I reschedule, I will get the loaner...

#146 ·
'original' dealership is doing replacement TODAY!

of the passenger (front) airbag. They said a "shipment of replacement parts was LOST" and that I would be contacted when the parts were in stock. They initially offered me a loaner vehicle-but I told them I would wait for the repair to be done (if the R/R could be done in less than 3 hr). When I reschedule, I will get the loaner...
I scheduled the replacement online at the dealership that sold the car to the original owner. Initially, they said the recall could be fulfilled in January 2015. A short time later, someone from the dealership called to tell me the repair date would be "indefinite." I told them I understood the problems with Takata, but wanted their statement regarding fulfillment of the recall in writing... The asst. service manager later returned my call to say there had been cancellations by owners of recalled vehicles; he let me choose the date & time of the replacement. The work should be complete by 3 p.m. today.

#137 ·
I was working near fusebox area and realized that airbag was right there :eek: Pulled that sucker out for good I suppose. Does anyone know if the recall has to be done by the dealer or can they swap the bags and let 3rd party install it? Meanwhile, how do I keep this sucker safe from imploding?

Attachments

#138 ·
I was working near fusebox area and realized that airbag was right there :eek: Pulled that sucker out for good I suppose. Does anyone know if the recall has to be done by the dealer or can they swap the bags and let 3rd party install it?
You'll have to discuss it with your service advisor. However, when you consider that BMW dealers have to record airbag serial numbers as part of the recall and warranty paperwork and then return the defective airbags to BMW NA, I think it's safe to assume that they will insist on doing the work at their facility.

Meanwhile, how do I keep this sucker safe from imploding?
Store it, right side up, on a solid surface in a cool, dry room where absolutely no one (especially pets or kids) can get to it.

Thanks for posting the photo of the markings on the airbag. According to the label, the inflator (gasgenerator) was apparently manufactured at Takata's now-closed Inflation Systems facility in LaGrange, Georgia. An inflator produced for Honda by the LaGrange facility is believed to be responsible for the death of a pregnant Malaysian woman a few months ago.

#140 ·
Hi i had call from BMW about replacing front passenger airbag module yesterday. When i had my car serviced a few weeks ago the adviser stated to me the airbag module had been done as well! So now today i received a letter today Vehicle Safety Recall stated the parts are still on back order. So i don't understand what the adviser dealing with my request was on about! Anyway i phoned the dealer today and they have confirmed to me it hasn't been done as yet. So be careful ladies and gents.

#147 ·
Called the dealership today to check on the status of parts. I called them a month ago. The lady proceeded to inform me that I didnt give them my vin # so they havent ordered the part. B&** S%&^!! Of course I gave my vin #. She also told me that about 8 owners had called since I first called and they would be in front of me for service. Frustrating to say the least!!

#150 ·
#151 ·
e-Mail from BMW re: driver front airbag

I sent this e-mail:

TO: customerrelations@bmwusa.com
Subject: e46 front airbags

Dear BMW,

Its time to include the replacement of the FRONT DRIVER SIDE AIRBAG in the Takata airbag recall!

As you can see FORD has already done so: http://www.cnbc.com/id/102276866#.

Do it (include the front driver side airbag) at least BEFORE Chrysler does so…

--------

response from BMW Customer Relations

Dear --------:

Thank you for writing to BMW of North America, LLC regarding our voluntary safety recall for model year 2000-2006 BMW 3 Series vehicles to replace the passenger-side front airbag.

The driver's front airbag is not subject to this recall. To date, BMW is not aware of any driver front airbag deployment with inflator rupture, either in the field or in tests. However, BMW is cooperating with the supplier and NHTSA to collect some driver-side front airbags in select markets for the purpose of examination and testing.

BMW remains committed to maintaining the highest level of automotive excellence. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience if your vehicle be affected by this recall.

The BMW Customer Relations and Services Department is available Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m., ET. You can reach us at 1-800-831-1117.

Sincerely,

Matthew Martin
Customer Relations and Services
Representative

4.8 SECONDS TO THE TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN.
The first-ever BMW 2 Series knows no boundaries.

www.bmwusa.com

#153 ·
Air Bag Recall

I was just curious about the e46 and the massive air bag recall. Has anyone actually gotten it done? A guy I know was told, no part, and he will be contacted when the are in. Sounds like that won't be for a very long time. Will they let you shut the airbags off? I'd rather not have air bags if there is a chance it shoots shrapnel into my face if it deploys. N4S

#154 ·
Everything you need to know is in this stickied thread:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=784335

Dealers are not deactivating airbags. Rather, BMW NA is advising owners to avoid letting passengers ride in the front passenger seat.

Replacement parts are in very short supply due to extremely high demand coupled with insufficient production capacity. The best actions you can take are to contact your Service Advisor to get into your local dealer's queue, and keep in touch with him or her on a regular basis for updates.

#155 ·
The letter I got from BMW said the local dealer will contact me when they have the part. You're saying we shouldn't wait, but should contact them now anyway? Will they take a ten year-old E46 seriously when it comes to assigning places in the queue?

#160 · (Edited)
Called about a month ago and put myself on the list -- told I was number 6 in line. I stopped in Saturday during a test drive event, and I had moved up to first in line. Parts here shortly and I have an appointment for the 29th. So don't wait for a call, proactively get yourself on the list for a replacement. I was told it takes about an hour to do the replacement.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.