BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
3K views 25 replies 8 participants last post by  KrisL 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,
just got my car back from bodyshop for touch-ups was there for approx 1 month (could have been left idleing in year for hours).
after driving car for 10 miles oil press light(red) came on for 10 seconds. drove home .light came back on. shut off car coasted home into driveway.
change oil nothing in pan.
start car no light drive 10 minutes. no light. start car in am. light on. rremove oil switch no pressure. at all.
Broken chain? stripped gear? where should I start? remove pan? front cover? anybody ever experiance anything similar. or know where to find pages from shop manual?
also have code p1397 not related though.
2000 323CIc 100 000miles
any help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks Dan.

#4 ·
From what I gather, he had no oil pressure, light came on . He checked the level and saw nothing on the stick, changed the oil. Let it run for 10 min. the next morning and then realized he still has no oil pressure?? I'm thinking either his pressure switch went out or the oil pump is k/o'd?? What about the vanos or separator????

#5 ·
From what I gather, he had no oil pressure, light came on . He checked the level and saw nothing on the stick, changed the oil. Let it run for 10 min. the next morning and then realized he still has no oil pressure?? I'm thinking either his pressure switch went out or the oil pump is k/o'd?? What about the vanos or separator????
Ahhh, makes more sense. If the pump was dead, the car would more than likely over heat with a quickness........lots of heat would build up if the oil wasn't circulating. My guess is a dead BMW oil pan sensor thingy....

#6 ·
sorry
when I said nothing in pan I meant no metal filings or forien material. was full of oil. the reason way I stated it was at body shop was to say it sat for a while. then within 10 miles of driving it. no oil pressure, probably just coincedence. just to add one more piece to the puzzle.
thanks Dan

#10 ·
I will remove the pan this week and post as to what i find. the loose nut on the pump gear would explain the erratic behaviour of the pump, because a broken chain would be immediate. and a worn pump would progressively get worse before failure
thanks everybody. I have only been a member here for a couple of days but this forum has helped me find broken wires to my trunk lid. top wouldn't go down because of it. seems to be a common problem on e 46's.

#13 ·
Enough sludge to block the pickup! Yeesh! :yikes:

#16 ·
danosll... how hard was it when you removed the oil pan. i think that my oil pan gasket is gone. Any info on the oil pan gasket replacement is highly appreciated :thumbup:
It isn't super hard, but not for the first time DIY'er.

#23 ·
awesome! the pic definitely helps! is this the place to raise the front of the car by jacking it up from the top middle round of this subframe? mine is bent in one half of the way, can i still jack the car from here even it is bent?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.