BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Alpina B10 in Duluth, MN?!?!?

4K views 24 replies 13 participants last post by  doubbleB 
#1 ·
I live in Duluth Minnesota and I've been seeing an Alpina B10 driving around. Anybody know who owns it?? It's black, has some sort of aftermarket exhaust and the person driving it looks college aged..probably daddy's car. Anybody know? I'd like to talk to him about buying it. Thanks

#2 ·
you sure its a real Alpina B10? I'm not doubting you, but it could be a e39 with badging and or alpina/alpina replica accessories.

#4 ·
Well, you would be correct in the sense that there is an Alpina B10 driving around Duluth. I would know, because it's mine :) but the one you're seeing recently is actually a 528i that I made my winter cruiser, which I also made look exactly like my B10. I would never subject an Alpina to the Minnesota salt, ever. And you're wrong, it's not daddy's car, it's mine, bought and paid for. But both of them are debadged, except for the roundels, so props on recognizing it! And it's not for sale...

#6 ·
Love Alpina. I have Alpina replica wheels on my e39 which I have received nothing but compliments for from everyone, no one can even tell. You have any pictures of your B10 or your 528 Alpina look alike? Where did you buy the B10 from, were they ever sold in America or it was shipped from Germany? Don't mind me for all the questions just love Alpina :D

#7 ·
You must be the kid with that beat up e36 sedan that always parks next to me at school? I didn't realize word traveled that quickly in the tuner community...which in Duluth, MN is a bunch of low life kids that buy ****ty body kits for their cars and spray paint them. I might have to start looking over my shoulder more often....

#8 ·
I don't have pictures as of now..that may come later. I bought it from a guy in Canada that had imported it from Germany. It was a helluva deal otherwise I wouldn't have done it. Your car looks awesome. I kind of skimped on the 528 and didnt buy the Alpina style wheels, just stuck with the stock BBS for winter driving...no sense in ruining $1200 wheels in salt.. I only drive the B10 on rare occasions in summer, the 528 is my DD.

#9 ·
Thank you for the compliment. Those wheels I bought were not cheap but definitely a very nice replica wheel. As for your B10 thats sweet, never seen any B10's here in Canada just a lot of 530's and the occasional modded other e39's. Otherwise thats not bad, i wouldn't drive it either in the winter. This is the first winter im driving my 540i, but I have my beat up style 66's on my car now and saving my good Alpina style wheels for the summer. Wouldn't want to ruin those baby's in Canada's harsh winter. Otherwise that's pretty cool though about the B10 :thumbup:

#12 ·
Hi,

DoubbleB - Which B10 do you have? is it a 3.2? 3.3? 4.6? or a 4.8? - they are nice cars, I (bro and sis in law) had an E46 B3S convertible - nice car but for me, it didn't quite hit the mark overall, I'd have preferred an M3.
A friend of mine has a very rare E39 B10 V8S Touring which I went with him to the Nurburgring in did a couple of laps and then drove back all over a weekend! Again, a fantastic car, fast as well - but for me the M5 is the one to go for. The Alpina is absolutely fantastic for keeping a very low profile as not many non enthusiasts know what one is - they look quite plain overall with just the wheels being the main visual give away.

There are a 'few' Alpina's and other interesting BMW's which have been federalized and taken to the USA, and I daresay most of them do end up being garage Queens due to rarity etc. Over here, they're still rare but can be had quite cheaply now as our fuel is so expensive and there's much less of a market looking for a big engine, very expensive to maintain car. Currently a rare 2002 B10 V8S is up for sale at just £8K which is around $12500 USD and has been so for a couple weeks now at least.

G Moussa - Another very good friend I often see at meets and shows has a 540i and has done some very high end modifications in order to make it an Alpina-like. Powered trunklid conversion, genuine Alpina wheels, suspension and bumpers and exhaust. Another UK forum member has done very much the same but on an E39 Touring as well!

Cheers, Dennis!

#13 · (Edited)
Unfortunately it's just the 3.3 (I wanted the 4.6 but I had to take what I could get). I will post pictures...but it's -28 degrees Farenheit here, and cameras don't work so well. Not to mention I'm not going to go out there to take pictures when it's this cold. Why I like the B10 more than an M5 is not only because everyone has an M5 (you know what I mean), but because I hate driving manual on hills, which is all Duluth is. And because it draws attention of only certain people that know what it is, instead of just having EVERY person that has internet come up and talk to you about your M5 and the specs they read online. It truly is an amazing experience when you're driving around town and find exclusive people that truly admire Alpina's and not just every 5-series that looks cool. The best part is what "northern boy" was talking about me beating 'ricers' in races... All of the uninformed, low-life kids (who use either drug money or mommy and daddy to get body kits, and thats it) always convene in one spot and when I pull up and ask if they want to race, they just think they're racing a heavy luxury-packed 5-series, which they are, then I whoop their asses and they go cry that I was cheating blah blah. Just another perk: Hearing grown men and teenage "bad-boys" cry.

#16 ·
funny how northernboy and doubbleb are both brand spanking new accounts.

#18 ·
Albo- OHMYGOSH it's like people join forums to discuss things or something... My friend actually told me he saw the post about it and well I'm the only person in Duluth with a B10 so......

BigCo540i- I would be more scared of northernboy if we hadn't seen each other at car shows before, but still I agree on the creepy stalker part. Pretty soon he'll figure out where I live...

#19 · (Edited)
I enjoyed driving in Duluth with a manual car however, that was in the summer. I would not want to be there anytime it snows. Can't imagine how you guys get around those hills this time of the year.

I'll be back this summer. Go easy on me if you see a jet black 528i with style 65 wheels. It's mostly stock :angel:

#20 ·
Driving in winter in Duluth is a pain in an automatic, and I'm not much for manuals to begin with so it was an obvious choice for me.

Any fellow e39 driver is welcome in Duluth! I'm the only person under the age of 45 that has one... besides my buddy that has an M5. They're all country club cruisers up here.

#22 ·
I have quite a few relatives in Duluth but I have been there only a few times. Of all the people I know there and all the people THEY know, we find no one cares about cars any more than it's better way to travel than walking. :dunno: Do you find many enthusiasts there? I live near Flint, MI and an hour from Detroit and I see most people care about what they drive, some more than others but there is still some pride in what they drive and they enjoy sharing their experiences with others of similar interest. Around here, I get many looks and comments on my virtually stock e39 and e34 540's but when I spent a week in Duluth with the e39, I never saw anyone checking it out nor had a single comment. It was the summer of 2008 so it was clean and I drove around downtown quite a bit. I'm not craving attention, it's just something I observed and wonder if you notice it too.

#23 ·
I get up to Duluth occasionally. Might be there next weekend with the E60. Funny to see some other MNers around here.

#24 ·
Yea I moved here from out of state and people here are weird when it comes to cars. Most of them don't care at all, and the ones that do care pretend your car sucks to make themselves think highly of their own cars. There are a select few people that will admire a car for what it is and not be a self righteous prick about it. There are actually quite a few DIYers/tuners in Duluth, but not many of them are BMW fans. There are some though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.