BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Check Engine Light

3K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Febi Guibo 
#1 ·
hey guys

so i was driving to school today, sitting in a bit of traffic andmy Check Engine light has come on. The check engine oil light also came on, but i had just had an oil change and the Check Engine light has not gone off (This is the light to the left of the fog light light along the bottom of the instrument panel, not the one that flashes). my car does not seem to have any problems, it runs smoothly etc, and no fluid shortages...anyone have any ideas what this could be? in the manual it says something about this being an electronic fault? help please!!!!

#2 ·
bbrg86 said:
hey guys

so i was driving to school today, sitting in a bit of traffic andmy Check Engine light has come on. The check engine oil light also came on, but i had just had an oil change and the Check Engine light has not gone off (This is the light to the left of the fog light light along the bottom of the instrument panel, not the one that flashes). my car does not seem to have any problems, it runs smoothly etc, and no fluid shortages...anyone have any ideas what this could be? in the manual it says something about this being an electronic fault? help please!!!!
Is your oil PRESSURE light on it is the one that looks like a oil pitcher on the right of the cluster, not to be confused with the engine oil LEVEL light on the check panel by the sunroof. Might need to check your oil level. :dunno:

#4 ·
hey guys

its back on! im nto sure if this would have anything to do with it, but its been raining here today and its been a while since weve had alot of rain..any chance this could effect the light? i really hope so....as it seems to have gone off once the car had been parked in the parking garage and dried out. im very confused.

thanks
-bbrg

#5 ·
If I were you, I wouldn't worry too much about it, because BMW's are famous for their electrical problems, and this could just be one of them.
I had the same problem yesterday after washing my car. My brake lights light came on, on the check panel. I pulled over and checked the brake lights because thats what triggered this last time and it was working fine. After a few minutes when I got home, it just turned off by itsself.
If your sure that you checked everything and all the oil level's and etc, are fine, then I wouldn't be worried too much about it.

#8 ·
'resetting the lights' is for the SI indicator, not the warning lights.

we have OBDI cars, you can do the 'pedal dance' and get a 4 digit code to see what the issue is... this isn't always 100% helpful, but its worth a shot... motronic fault codes

also, if your alternator is going south, you will also get periodic 'check engine' lights... it will get more frequent as your alternator gets worse.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.