BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Introduction to my newish 530i...

125K views 544 replies 62 participants last post by  Albo 
#1 · (Edited)
I've been beating around the bush here for a few months and thought I'd do a formal "Intro Thread"

Here's the info and some pics from when I bought her:

http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/833213

Here she is today after all the upgrades in my signature.. You'll note the two-tone I've got going on in the rear deck. I just repainted it with some Dupli-Color Fabric & Vinyl Paint. Came out great. Also just added a JL Audio 10w6 subwoofer in a sealed box being pushed by a 300W Orion Amp. Sound is much rounder now...just the way I like it..:)

Just crossed over 76,000 miles so a full tune-up is in process. Many more upgrades to come as well... M5 Bumpers and Exhaust are next....after I replace the Torque Converter. Also....does anyone know anyone that can straighten and refinish my LM Replicas? They've taken a beating unfortunately...:cry:

This is my 7th BMW, but I plan on keeping this one for a looooong time!

See less See more
#257 ·
Is this paddle shift DIY worth making into a separate DIY post?

#260 · (Edited)
Well that settles it! I think it would get overlooked for future reference if I just left it in here.

#259 ·
Man I would kill for paddle shifters. I am too big of a pus. To cut wires. Scale of 1-10 how hard was it? And where did you get the shifters. Do you have pics of the shifters installed, from the back end. So I can see where you attacked em.

Sent from my PG86100 using Bimmer App

#263 ·
This is an easy mod. Maybe a 2 on a scale of 1/10. I bought the paddles from a Mercedes Dealership on Ebay.

Part #1712670046.

Available at ECSTuning.com for $110.

The Heated steering wheel (which is requisite) for this mod is Clock Spring (or slip ring) is part # 61318379091

Also available at ECSTuning.com for $107.

I got lucky and picked it up cheap from another Mod-Monkey (Thanks Jesus Freak).

Do it.... this was so easy. I did this mod just for kicks until I'm healed enough from my surgery to get really dirty.

I've got another easy mod coming to this thread soon (maybe Sunday).

I'm sad to say that I did not document the holes you need to drill other than to show you where to cut to expose the metal that you will be attaching to. These three pictures explain...kind of:

I used these two threads as guides, but in reality I had a jump start due to my experience with my E46:

http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/600730

http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/610491/

...and this one to sort out which ground wire to use from the airbag:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1817123

Major thanks to all the originators of these posts. I'm going to put my standalone DIY thread together to catch all the lit bits of info that were missing from each of these.

#264 · (Edited)
Hit the 110,000 mile mark this morning. It's time for a cooling system refresh. I've had hoses, tensioner and ECS Tuning Aluminum water pump pulley waiting for this time.

Just needed to decide on a radiator. Had been thinking about adapting an E46 aluminum radiator, but today I came upon a deal I couldn't pass up.

On ebay..a Zionsville Autosport cooling kit with 2 stage fan control for $800.00. The seller had apparently only used it for 2,000 miles. I don't know if that is absolutely true, but his rating was good.

I spent another $168.00 on an EMP Stewart water pump from OEMBimmerparts.com with free shipping. I don't think a better deal exists for that part.

Look forward to installing this stuff next weekend!

#266 ·
Cooling system is my faves!! Did you get that little parcel yet?

#267 ·
Hit the magic 111111...

I should have set the trip meter, but ..meh!!

Also....because I love this pic:

#268 · (Edited)
That little parcel never show up :( I dont trust USPS anymore. I appreciate your kindness though.
I see you have some pixel out on the cluster. Now dont forget to set your trip meter for the next milestone like so

BTW, your macro photography fails :D

#271 ·
This link should help you figure out disassembely:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=312958

The Speedometer and Tachometer gauge faces are easy to install as they do not require removal of the needles. The gas and temp gauges do..and so I skipped installing the faces for those.

On a scale of 1 to 10, I would say this was a 2.

#272 ·
I'm assuming you are talking about the Pioneer AppRadio and the new double din kit. i go both from ebay. The head unit cost about $150.00 and the kit was about $60.

I just sold both and replaced it with an Eonon D5124U:

Got a great deal on ebay ($430 shipped)..

#277 ·
How is the fit and finish of the Eonon? Built quality? Plug-and-play connection? Sound quality?
Sorry for many questions but I'm very interested in the unit. I don't want to pay double for a Dynavin.

#278 ·
Excellent so far. Build quality is good (materials/fit and finish) and sound quality is excellent. I've played a lot of different types of music through it so far and I can say it sounds on par with the Pioneer App Radio I had before it. I have not used the GPS to navigate yet, but it seems to track accurately as I drive. Installation was plug and play. It came with two harnesses (one for early round pin radios and one for later flat pin radios). Install was a breeze...

Definitely worth the coin I paid for it.

Some more pics:

#280 ·
$418? that's $12 better than what I paid.

#281 ·

#283 ·
Lol...thanks for the compliment. Yes...resonator is gone. Only Magnaflow music.

#285 · (Edited)
I was searching to see if I could find a frimware update for my Eonon D5124U this morning and came upon the Eonon official Facebook page. Lo and behold, they have my video review and a quick quote on their page from me:

#287 ·
I'll post a video for you guys this weekend.

#288 ·

#289 ·
New chrome grills and Depo headlights:

#290 ·
Albo, now that you have used the Eonon head unit for about 3-4 weeks, would you recommend this to an E39 owner? Does it work well as suggested, as I read in another UK forum about the major issues they have had. Is it plug and play for all E39's including cars with DSP?

#291 ·
Joel...I answered your questions in your thread.

It has come to my attention that I spend too much time and money on ebay. I picked up this gem of an M-Sport steering wheel for $175. Freshly rewrapped and ready to be modified for my shift paddles:

Also just bought one of these....for a reaaaaaaally good price:

#296 ·
Lots of new members from Duluth recently :eek:

Thanks for the compliments. Yes.. I could have bought an M5 and may some day in the future, but I love BMW inline 6's so I'm not too upset about it. In truth, I was looking for a 540i, but found this car by chance. It was too clean to pass up!

#298 ·
??

#297 ·
I've got something else in mind for the side mirrors...and waiitng in the garage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.