BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
6M views 104K replies 316 participants last post by  tim330i 
#1 ·
There has been a bunch of OT threads lately, so i think we should try to keep it all the ot talk in one place. I know the e36 forum rocks, and all the other forums suck big time :bigpimp:, yet we need to stay on topic....

#40,381 ·
My abridged chronology. It's not everything I've done, like build dune buggies for several years, but it's the highlights:

-born in Wisconsin, 1951

-moved to Alabama, 1958

-graduated high school, 1969

-worked summers mowing roadsides for the highway dept.

-tried to make community college last 4 years, ran out of money after 2 1/2 :(

-went to work full time as a land surveyor for the highway dept.

-moved with survey crew 5 times in 2 1/2 years...shortest move was 250 miles

-became an alcoholic at 21, minimum of two 6-packs a day, plus single malt, straight

-got tired of that life, accepted Christ, quit drinking (sober almost 40 years)

-moved back home to Silverhill

-got a job at a printing plant baling scrap paper 1974 ($5.50 cut in pay from the surveyor job)

-got married the first time 1975

-first wife left me 1977, divorced. I ALMOST went back to drinking, but didn't with God's help. Swore I'd never marry again.

-worked my way up to pressman, then plant maintenance man, making 3x what I did as a surveyor

-got married again in 1980 (never say never...still married after 31+ years)

-opened the gun shop with my new bride while still working full time

-laid off in the recession of 1981, 9/81

-went to work as a machinist apprentice 11/81

-closed the gun shop in 1988 and sold off my tools. I loved it, and had a great customer base, but it was too much to work two jobs full time. Never bought a single gun for myself the entire time I had the shop :(

-Lost my job as a machinist June 2009 after 27 1/2 years thanks to our wonderful economy

-Drew unemployment for 18 months while looking constantly for a job...never even got an interview. 90% of the shops in this area closed, never to open again. They looked at my resume', first thing they would see is that I was almost 60. "Nope, too old." :mad:

-During this time I went a little bonkers and bought a BMW (318is for my daughter), and another ('93 325is) and another ('85 635CSi).

-After suffering with a damaged knee for 20+ years, I filed for and got disability. this year. That's good and bad. Good becaue I have a guaranteed income, but bad bacause it was sure a blow to my ego. :(

-Became a regular here, spreading joy and happiness (and a good dose of curmudgeonly grumpiness, too) :thumbup:
Highlighted are the most important points. hehe :thumbup:

#40,382 ·
#40,383 ·
#40,386 ·
I'm for that. It'd be about the only way I could afford it. :(

More truth than you know.......

And I could do 'Fest East easier than the West Coast 'Fest. Might even drive Katja. :eeps:
Start a pay pal donation, Ill dontate! :thumbup::thumbup:

Ive given to stupider causes :p

on that topic, anyone up for joining a caravan to the OG fest this year? I think im doing the trek again and it's be cool to have a caravan :bigpimp:

#40,388 ·
You guys wouldn't believe this character that I met today. He's selling a '94 325i, replaced engine with about 75k (supposedly), and brand new clutch. He's asking 1200 OBO, and tells me that it need some minor cosmetics: door panels, headliner, a few dings. I ask him to see pictures, and he says he doesn't have time to mess around since he's selling it for so cheap. I figure what the hell, he was only 30 mins away, so I went to take a look at it tonight.

Of course when I get there, the car's got a sizeable dent on every panel, the sideskirts are all jacked up, the hoods faded, the bumper and nosepanel are unpainted. So we took it for a test drive, and apparently he's a driving instructor. I could barely get into any gear without jerking the car. The clutch must have been brand new. It felt so jumpy to me, since mine is pretty worn. I would spin the tires on every start and even into second gear without trying. The engine seemed to pull pretty hard too. Better than mine (it still has that low power/stuttering issue)

So then he keeps telling me "rip it through the gear", "downshift into second", "rip it around this turn" while we're cruising in the dark in a place that I've never been. A driving instructor is telling me this. :confused:

Then he goes on telling me how the engine in his car has more torque and horsepower than mine... I told him that it's the same engine. Then he goes on telling me how the new clutch makes it so much faster. He must think I'm some stupid kid that doesn't know anything about cars. So basically to put the icing on the cake, I ask him if it has a limited slip in the back. He answers "yes" real quick. The thing had traction control :tsk:

At that point, I was ready to go, I knew how full of sh*t he was. So as I'm leaving, he spins out and attempts to do some kind of tailwhip and ends up riding on the grass and nearly hits a curb. A driving instructor.

#40,392 ·
You guys wouldn't believe this character that I met today. He's selling a '94 325i, replaced engine with about 75k (supposedly), and brand new clutch. He's asking 1200 OBO, and tells me that it need some minor cosmetics: door panels, headliner, a few dings. I ask him to see pictures, and he says he doesn't have time to mess around since he's selling it for so cheap. I figure what the hell, he was only 30 mins away, so I went to take a look at it tonight.

Of course when I get there, the car's got a sizeable dent on every panel, the sideskirts are all jacked up, the hoods faded, the bumper and nosepanel are unpainted. So we took it for a test drive, and apparently he's a driving instructor. I could barely get into any gear without jerking the car. The clutch must have been brand new. It felt so jumpy to me, since mine is pretty worn. I would spin the tires on every start and even into second gear without trying. The engine seemed to pull pretty hard too. Better than mine (it still has that low power/stuttering issue)

So then he keeps telling me "rip it through the gear", "downshift into second", "rip it around this turn" while we're cruising in the dark in a place that I've never been. A driving instructor is telling me this. :confused:

Then he goes on telling me how the engine in his car has more torque and horsepower than mine... I told him that it's the same engine. Then he goes on telling me how the new clutch makes it so much faster. He must think I'm some stupid kid that doesn't know anything about cars. So basically to put the icing on the cake, I ask him if it has a limited slip in the back. He answers "yes" real quick. The thing had traction control :tsk:

At that point, I was ready to go, I knew how full of sh*t he was. So as I'm leaving, he spins out and attempts to do some kind of tailwhip and ends up riding on the grass and nearly hits a curb. A driving instructor.
lmao

and what do you think is making your car run like that?

#40,394 ·
I wish I knew. I get the O2 sensor code on and off while driving. I feel like it hasn't had full power since the swap. First it had the rough idle, and the new vacuum hoses seem to have taken care of that. Now I get this random problem. It happens mostly when the engine is warm (closed loop), so I'm thinking it has to do with the O2 sensor, but I can't be sure. I even swapped out the DME with the ebay chip with a stock DME. I've driven about 75mi with the stock DME and the problems are the same.

I've got new sparkies, cleaned MAF, ICV, throttle body, new fuel filter. The only thing different is a K&N drop in filter.

I finally bought a multimeter, so I just need to know what the hell to test.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.