BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

How to Retrofit a OEM Bluetooth TCU to your car

429K views 718 replies 72 participants last post by  AlexFNT 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
cleaning topic & only leaving required info

#38 · (Edited)
I think we can forget about the "unlocking"...

After tinkering with this for a week, here's what I think. I had a conversation with a knowledgeable friend in Germany yesterday and I think the Germans are right - on an E65/66 built before September 2006 with the Business phone option, the only way to get full Bluetooth functionality is to install a newer TCU.

The pre-09/06 TCUs simply do not have the full Bluetooth stack, they are limited to a subset that can just talk to the BMW handset.

The hardware may be capable so theoretically a firmware flash might do it but unlikely as a DIY proposition.

@Ace, you may have had an even older TCU (Siemens) that used DECT, not Bluetooth, with the BMW handsets and then you installed a post-09/06 TCU which has the full BT stack and thus responded to your changes in the MMI coding. You never actually tried with a limited-BT TCU, and you never claimed you did either, but we collectively jumped to the conclusion and thought you had done what no one else has managed to do.

In fact, there is no correlation between the facelift and any specific TCU variant. BMW did not introduce full Bluetooth capability until September 2006. My car has a TCU from 2003 and is still an FL.

Now those dates are not exact, so theoretically there could be cars made before 09/06 which have the newer TCU but then they would probably have full BT already.

I also do not believe there are any "secret codes" accessible to Dashsoft or any other software that NCS Expert cannot get to. The trace files you get from NCS will show every settable option. Many are AFAIK still untested but with NCS Dummy we can at least get most of them shown in more readable form.

I am looking forward to getting my new TCU. Just hope I will be able to code it so the car will not reject the transplant...

#39 · (Edited by Moderator)
Paper, hope I am not raining on your parade now. The unit in your first photo, is that your old TCU? That is an AMPS unit. The other unit behind it in the other pics is a CDMA unit. Is that the new one? If so you are not only changing to a Bluetooth TCU, you are also switching from AMPS to CDMA.

There is also a compensator (flat square box with cooling fins) in your trunk, right? That is AMPS only.
I do not know if you can upgrade from AMPS to CDMA, the wiring may be completely different. Keep in mind Ace's car and most of the others in this thread uses GSM phones.

I am not saying you have hit a dead end, but make sure to check up on this both 2x and 3x before you plug this stuff in...

#47 · (Edited)
Paper, hope I am not raining on your parade now. The unit in your first photo, is that your old TCU? That is an AMPS unit. The other unit behind it in the other pics is a CDMA unit. Is that the new one? If so you are not only changing to a Bluetooth TCU, you are also switching from AMPS to CDMA.

There is also a compensator (flat square box with cooling fins) in your trunk, right? That is AMPS only.
I do not know if you can upgrade from AMPS to CDMA, the wiring may be completely different. Keep in mind Ace's car and most of the others in this thread uses GSM phones.

I am not saying you have hit a dead end, but make sure to check up on this both 2x and 3x before you plug this stuff in...
I can use a GSM TCU

#40 ·
Hi Politby,

I have taken the boot trims off to double check the telephone module.

I notice the unit has two antenna inputs, I believe one is the GSM antenna on the roof and the second the WDCT? which I understand is on the parcel shelf?

The newer TCU does not have as much wiring as it just connects to the SOS button, microphone, CAN etc... and not any connection to a phone cradle/drawer.

Would it be possible to use a TCU from an E60,E90 etc...

e.g.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-E60-B..._CarParts_SM&hash=item27bd11c07c#ht_500wt_812

Cheers

#41 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi Politby,

I have taken the boot trims off to double check the telephone module.

I notice the unit has two antenna inputs, I believe one is the GSM antenna on the roof and the second the WDCT? which I understand is on the parcel shelf?

The newer TCU does not have as much wiring as it just connects to the SOS button, microphone, CAN etc... and not any connection to a phone cradle/drawer.

Would it be possible to use a TCU from an E60,E90 etc...

e.g.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-E60-B..._CarParts_SM&hash=item27bd11c07c#ht_500wt_812

Cheers
Well yours definitely does not have Bluetooth.

I do not think the E60/61 TCUs will work in an E65. The part number in the eBay listing is missing a digit so I can't cross reference it, I tried adding 0-9 at the end but got no hits so I think the seller has got it wrong.

#49 ·
So, i've made a photos of my TCU

I was talking with two software guys and telling him that my TCU unit is looks exactly as yours but they are saying now chance because my TCU unit is for Phone Professional for 638 option and i need to replace my TCU unit which comse with 633 option.
I looked up on the pat number of your TCU unit in your video: 84 10 9 113 247 and its for 633 option. So i think i really need to replace TCU unit to have normal bluetooth.

#57 · (Edited)
That part number does not cross reference to any other than the E60/61 models. You can look it up yourself at realoem.com.

It appears to be intended for retrofit in cars with the S633A option (preparation for Business phone).

I guess the only way to find out is to try plugging it in. BMW is not likely to tell you. :) Can you try it before you buy it?

I still haven't installed my new TCU; too bloody cold outside. Also still waiting to find out how to program it with my VIN.

#59 · (Edited)
bmw e65 tcu everest

Hi guys !!!! I have a 2002 BMW E65 730D. I replaced the TCUM unit in the trunk with the everest model to get full bluetooth compatibility.I followed everything you wrote here and i fail to make it work.
I managed to connect my mobile phone with the TCU unit in the trunk using the pass key which is written on the module.
the problem is that i can not acces the meniu on screen.The MMI unit displays only the option Bluetooth on/off.
The MMI module is a non facelift module.
When I tried to read the Nettodat.trc file I noticed that it is totally different from what you have shown here. The 0302 line is different.
In the FSW file read from the MMI there is no option to activate the bluetooth .
If i select the option code car (and not just one module) and after i read the FSW file i can find only there all the options to activate bluetooth, handy , portable bt, portable bt_c60 , ...etc.Because it is a FSW file obtained from coding the entire car , I do not know in which module are stored.important is that i managed to activate the bluetooth just changing that file and coding with the FSW.Man file the car again.
The only problem now is the inability to control my mobile phone using the i-drive functions.There is no other bluetooth menu in the settings menu no mather what i change in the FSW file. I have changed all the Phone and bluetooth options to active and not active one by one and in different combinations and nothing happends.I dissabled the ECE phone and enabled it again.Nothing nothing. I tried to do update the MMI with a different software(non facelist version of course) but winkfp refuzes to accept a diiferent one and programms the unit with the same version
Remember that my phone is already conected with the TCU unit. the bluetooth is active now

PLease help me and sorry for my english !!!! i look forward to a response !!!

#60 ·
Hi secagold,

If you see post 124, apparently the bluetooth does not function properly on the pre-facelift MMI, I am in the same position, Im waitng for my facelift MMI to arrive, hopfully being delivered this week!

Unfortunately the gearbox is now playing up! :cry: hopefully I can fix the mechatronic unit!

#63 ·
Hi Guys,

My facelift MMI turned up yesterday, managed to get it from a guy in Lithuania, £130 which was pretty good!

However.... fitted the screen works fine etc... re-coded the VIN using Tool32 all looking good.

But having a nightmare trying to read the coding data using NCS expert. I can read all other modules and code them but I get a COAPI-1000 error when trying the new MMI.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Hope someone can help!

#65 ·
Hi PAPER

Its about 200 USD

Sorry, how do I change it to .C03 or .C03? and what does go up a # mean?

Sorry if its a simple question!

Thanks!

#68 ·
Hi Paper,

Thanks for the reply, are you referring to NCS expert or the dashsoft setup?

I understand you had the same problem, did dashsoft manage to code it for you??

Thanks again for your help

#71 ·
1 thing I forgot to mention is to 1'st clear out your MAN FILE & TRC FILE .
Don't delete the files , just open them & wipe them clean so they are blank
before you load NCS expert .

Also try reading with the car off , if that don't work try with the car running .
I know with anther members car I could not read the MMI unless the car
was running , & on a different car the car needed to be off . I know it sounds
strange , but that is what happen on 2 different cars .

#72 ·
Hi Paper,

Ive used a couple of profiles, all give the same results so far.

I will try erasing the trace file contents, I havent seen an option as yet where you can choose which .C0x file you can use to read the MMI, all i get is 'Choose ECU' so i select MMIGT then hit the 'READ ECU' button i then get the infamous error message!

#75 ·
I tried all profiles (expert, fister, etc) no difference. While I agree that these cars can be sensitive and that sometimes what works on one won't work on another, I think because we are all having the identical problem with daten files ranging from V32 to V45 (mine) that the problem probably lies with something like the coding index mismatch or the VO needing things added and/or removed. I'm sure this is a solvable problem and now that their are at least 4 of us with the same issue we can get some more focus put on it.

Thanks,

Jeff

#77 ·
Thanks paper, I will give this a go in a sec. Jeff have you tried this?

Jeff, I agree, this must be resolvable I just hope its figured out quick! :thumbup:

#78 ·
Thanks for your help paper,

Right just tried the fister profile with the option changed to C03, 4 etc... no change.

I guess that proves the theory of trying to communicate expecting the wrong coding level was not the problem.

Its really not happy talking to the facelift MMI.

Not sure what else to try. can the VO really be the problem??? is something conflicting? what does the ASW file mean in the work folder, upon opening it it appears to list the modules or options of the car, at the bottom i notice MMI c02 and c03 listed.

Is NCS expert seeing two MMI's?

#81 ·
How far Did you go up from C02 ?

The weird part about all this is that , I personally put my FaceLift MMI in another members 04 & I had no problems reading or coding it . I then installed it back in my car & still could not read the Damn MMI , I still got the error .

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Bimmer App

#79 ·
Damn Papers are you some IT Tech you have all kinds of computers an gadgets no matter where you go

#87 ·
Here is his VO .
$1CA
$202
$216
$226
$229
$245
$255
$302
$316
$319
$323
$330
$358
$403
$415
$416
$423
$430
$431
$438
$441
$442
$449
$466
$470
$481
$488
$502
$508
$521
$522
$524
$534
$541
$596
$609
$620
$645
$672
$677
$691
$693
$760
$785
$845
$850
$853
$925
$992
%0472
&V7SW
*GN63
-LEDE
& here is his line 3002 from DashSoft
0B
B1
FC
CF
The rest of line 3002 was 00 all the way to slot 16 .

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Bimmer App

#91 ·
Hi politby,

the thought had crossed my mind, they seem to be breaking a number of these cars, it does look suspicious!

Jeff, I painstakingly translated the VO options yesterday, I dont have the full list on this computer, I do have the full translated copy of just my VO though if your interested?

E65_#1001&U6FA%0475|7521643|7521902

*GL62 - E65 N62B44 RL ECE SITZMEMORY_FA STEPTRONIC SERVOTRONIC //745i EUR RL

$169 - EU3 Emissions standard
$202 - Steptronic, line is needed for PPP's
$216 - Servotronic
$229 - Active roll stabilisation to 03/05
$245 - Electric steering column adjustment
$261 - Side airbags for rear passengers
$268 - Light-alloy wheels with mixed tires front: LM 245/50 R19, rear: LM 275/45 R19 (Styling 95)
$302 - Alarm: DWA with interior protection and emergency siren
$316 - Automatic Boot Lid
$323 - Soft Close Automatic with child protection
$415 - Electric rear window sunshade
$416 - 0415 as including electric side window sunshade.
$423 - Front and rear velor mats
$428 - Warning triangle and first aid kit
$431 - Mirror control
$438 - Fine-wood trim Ash Grain dark
$441 - Smoking package
$442 - Front and rear cup holders
$453 - Active seat ventialtion front
$454 - Active seat ventilation rear
$456 - Electric comfort seats with memory for driver / front passenger
$460 - Electric seat adjustment in rear
$488 - Electric lumbar support
$494 - Heated driver and front passenger seats
$496 - Heated rear seats
$502 - Headlight washers
$508 - Park distance control (PDC)
$521 - Rain sensor from 09/05 series for all 6 and 8-cylinder (not for E67)
$522 - Bi-xenon headlights
$534 - Automatic air conditioning, "High" + Cooled storage compartment in center console
$601 - TV function including VCR connection
$609 - Navigation system without TV, new production use in conjunction with LA802 03/06
$630 - Telephone
$650 - CD ASK unit
$672 - CD changer 6 disc
$677 - HIFI system professional (Logic 7)
$785 - Individual "white flashing lights"
$812 - UK version
$850 - Additional Export tank filling
$853 - English language
$863 - European Dealer Directory
$877 - Elimination crossover operation
$880 - English / Operat. / Service Booklet
$998 - Starting internal control requirements
$255 - Sports Leather Steering Wheel
-LEDE - Leather interior
-PA5M - Passenger airbag short delay
+B110 - 110AH Battery

Im hoping the answer is close!

I did think about taking an 06 plate 730D for a test drive in the week, a garage is selling one on the way to my work, pull over and swap the MMI's do a bit of coding and take it back!! ha ha :rofl:

#94 ·
{snip}

$630 - Telephone
$650 - CD ASK unit
$672 - CD changer 6 disc
$677 - HIFI system professional (Logic 7)

{/snip}

Im hoping the answer is close!

I did think about taking an 06 plate 730D for a test drive in the week, a garage is selling one on the way to my work, pull over and swap the MMI's do a bit of coding and take it back!! ha ha :rofl:
I think you need to have the 633 option for Bluetooth to work. So you need to change the VO. Mine has the 638 option (facelift car with "crippled" Bluetooth) so I fully expect to have to change the VO as well when I put the new TCU in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.