BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

It's Friday -- Let's Talk about Green Bars

3K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Jason5driver 
#1 ·
No, not those kind of Green Bars.....the Green Bars on the dashboard on start-up.

What, exactly, are they measuring ??

Is it the viscosity of the Oil? Or the amount of Oil in the system ? Or the estimated Life til Oil Change ?

Where is the critical point ? 3 bars left ? 2 bars left ? 4 bars ?

Enquiring minds want to know.

#2 · (Edited)
Oil change reminder. I think it's base on your mileage driven. I ignore it since it reminds you to change oil according to BMW schedule (15K mi). I change oil and filter every 7.5K mi with Mobil1 synthetic and Mann filter.

#4 ·
From what I've read it oil change count down. I believe it actually based of measured fuel flow into the engine. I think the basic idea is the more fuel the more blow past fumes and the more carbon produced, so the sooner you should change the oil. It does seem to target ~15k in most cars.

Personally I change the oil ~7.5K as well.

#9 · (Edited)
That is interesting...
Because, my dash lights seem to dissipate to NO bars when I have driven the car for about 7.5k miles...
My dash bars are reset after every oil change as well (FULL green bars after oil change).

Although, I have been told I am VERY hard on the car, and my driving habits warrant more frequent oil changes, not just from experienced/ knowledgeable people, but from seeing my oil analysis reports as well...

Also, I think it is IMPORTANT for a LOT people posting to SHOW an Oil Analysis Report, to back-up how frequent their oil is replaced, and what brand/ weight oil they use...

Thanks!
Jason

#6 ·
Interesting -- Measured Fuel Flow. I guess that could be easy to derive given the MPG calculator on the dash.

I usually change the oil every 7-8K miles. It's more of a seasonal oil change and 8K is about 6 months worth of driving. I go into winter with a fresh oil change and by April-May I'm ready for new oil.

#10 ·
Some drivers ignore the fact that they're operating the car in a "severe service" environment: short commute (10 miles one-way), in slow or stop-and-go traffic, short errands on the weekend, etc. This requires more frequent oil changes, but, it's your car, and you can do with what you will.

The Service Interval Indicator was a response to European tree-huggers; stretching out the change interval tends to decrease the waste oil problem, as does "lifetime" fluids.

#11 ·
Wish I could remember where I had read it, it might have even been in the owners manual....

My general rules of thumb is to change the oil twice as often as recommended. If your doing the oil changes your self its probably cheaper to do the oil twice than pay a garage to do it once. For a lot of cars places like Jiffy lube make me think twice about bothering doing oil changes my self, as the cost difference between the parts and them doing it is pretty low. But for cars like my 540 which take a large amount of synthetic oil I can probably get the oil and filter for 2.5+ changes for the cost of them doing once! I also bother to drain the oil correctly and fully....

#13 ·
Whoa! I wouldn't let Jiffy Lube, et al, change the oil in my pressure washer! Want your drain plug cross-threaded? Want the oil capacity short-changed? Want a cheap Chinese filter? Step right up!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.