BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Non responsive and stuck CD changer***8230; need help

4K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  dfauerbach 
#1 ·
RE: Non responsive and stuck CD changer… need help

Before I give up I will give this a try… It is regarding the in-dash cd exchanger in a 2003 745. I spent many hours reading posts in this forum and other car forums. Got some good suggestions that worked however…. First, the “Challenge”. The changer would not eject the CD cartridge and would not respond to input via the I drive it as if no CD was in it. I figured that it was not reading the CD and maybe the changer was empty. So I pressed “eject” the “flap” opened and I can see that it had pulled a CD but would not return it. I read every post on the subject and then some… took some suggestion… shimmed under the cartridge with a thin object, “tapped” the cartridge hard wile pressing eject and finally it did eject… so far so good. Before I retuned it, I wanted to make sure the “arm” that pulls the cd was working. So I pressed and prodded and tricked the changer to move the “arm” that pulls the CD out of the cartridge to make sure the arm still worked. Now I felt it was safe. So I returned the cartridge to the changer and… Walla … it did not work and the problem repeated itself. The CD was pulled into the changer and the changer is not reading it or at least no control over changer from the I drive. I read somewhere that perhaps disconnecting the Electricity to the changer and re connecting it again may work but I do not know where to access it from. I was thinking maybe the “fuse” box?... Any help would be appreciated before I just give up and “forget it”….

See less See more
#2 ·
Removing the power won't help, but the dealer can perform a "reset" on the changer which will make it push the cd back in the cartridge so you can eject the cartridge. You can then ignore the changer or have it replaced.

The jammed changer will most likely prevent the car from going to sleep, which will cause battery disconnects. Its probably a good idea to get it un-jammed.

#6 ·
Picked my car up from the dealer one visit and my changer was the same way. It was a Saturday and I was going straight there on Monday morning but to my surprise it was fine by Monday morning and never had another issue. Seemed to reset on its own.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.