BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Trading for a 1985 635CSI

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  6 Brit 
#1 ·
So, I'm trading my 1999 740iL, which I have been very happy with, for a 1985 635CSI with 130,000 miles. I am trying to get the guy to put between 3k-5k on top of the trade so I can reinvest my money back into my new 6 series. Not including blacking the car out, these are the mods that I plan to do;
1.) Add a Sterling Coated Header for Manual Transmissions Only : $749.95 USD
2.) Add a Tri-Flo Performance Exhaust System - twin 3" round tips : $939.95 USD
3.)Add a Schrick High Performace Camshaft -284 Degrees : $699.95 USD
4.) Add a, if applicable, Bavarian Autosport Performance Chip ECU w/ 24 pin chip : $249.95

Total: $2639.80
My question is not only does this sound like a safe investment, purchasing a car with 130,000 miles and a broken odometer, but would these modifications really add a large amount of horsepower/torque?
Thank you,
Mike

#2 ·
the mod's wont do much but make it louder and idle rough...
I would wait to make sure it will last more than a month without needing thousands in just maint. before planning a bunch of mods
it's old...things will break

can't say you could make a better decision in buying it though hehe I am quite partial!
I will be using a shrick cam in mine too most likely...let us know how you like it, my hope is that it will still run just as smooth as they arent too horribly aggressive, however one can never be too careful with these cars. I would get the car and wait - see what it really NEEDS and then start the mod process once you know it is up to snuff

make sure it has not been overheated etc. they like to run hot (at least both of mine have) My odometer is broken too lol (so is my temp gauge...sometimes)I have NO idea how many miles are actually on it, I assume something like 400k considering the way it runs...mine is the classic case of perfect body and thrashed motor

considering body work is out of my league it was perfect for me...currently rebuilding a donor motor for it ;) Got some sport seats I am going to re-upholster etc. lots of odd's and end's to work on.

Make sure all your electrical options work...windows, seats, sunroof, fog lights...silly things that will show you the last owner took good care of it and took the time and bothered with the minor stuff...it adds up!

Oh and most importantly...POST PICS!

#3 ·
Welcome to the Shark Club! You'll love it, even if your shark breaks and you just dream about finding time and $$ to fix a couple of things... :cry:

Head over to www.bigcoupe.com and you'll find a large knowlegeable and friendly source of people to help you out with your new sixer.

What a classic car, and should be tons of fun.

I agree with 6-Brit above. DO NOT buy mods for your car until AFTER 1 year has passed. You need to use the $$ to ensure the sixer is running properly. Mine was nearly street-legal until a few things just fell apart this winter (and I store it during the winter). Mine is a '79, so I have 10 years on yours, but what I wouldn't have given to have gotten through a full year of ownership with $3-4k sitting in the bank for maintenance as soon as the spring hit!

Get the car going well, then play with the mods.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.