BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Extended warranty options

3K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  ard 
#1 · (Edited)
Any suggestions on purchasing extended warranty at time of purchase of a new X5?

Are the prices for extended warranty negotiable?

#2 ·
#4 ·
I am currently in a 36 month lease, 30k miles per year, my dealership was lower priced than
the post mentioned above, for my situation I went with the 5/100k BMW Powertrain Plus, it was approx 1650 dollars, FYI , any dealership will require one of your keys shipped to " load" the warranty on your car.

#8 ·
It's not often anyone would put on 100K miles in 5 years. Let's say I am driving 12K miles/ year, then in 5 years, I would have put 60K miles. This is just 10K miles more than the original warranty of 50K miles. I would end up paying $1600 for an extra 10K miles then which is not as attractive compared to my driving 100K miles instead.

This appears to benefit the driver who puts on a lot of driving, not the average driver.

#6 ·
Why would you buy it now, instead of waiting till the last possible minute? If your car is stolen, lemoned or totaled (or you simply decide you want to trade it for a new "toy" in a couple of years) you will never recoup your investment.

#17 ·
+100

Never buy a warranty at time of sale. Buy only within the last 1,000 miles of the original warranty expiring...

Dealerships will lie to you about this.

- Mike

#9 ·
Agree with above. I purchased the BMW platinum 5/100 and extended maintenance plan 6/100 because my wife has already put 30k on the car in less than 16 months. She'll have 100k on the odo in less than 5 yrs.

I've been told in order to break even on the maintenance plan you need to drive in excess of 18k-20k per year. I understand completely that's at dealer prices. However, it's more convenient for my wife to simply take the car to our local dealer for service anyway. They get the car in for service when it's convenient for her schedule and always have a loaner waiting for her to drive. Service drop-off and pickup is seamless and she's always satisfied with how she's treated.

The extended BMW warranty is simply for piece of mind considering that around this time next year our 2012 X5d will be out of its original warranty. Once her X5d hits 100k I'll probably start looking at another one for her.

Bottom line, for us, both of these plans simply make owning and operating a 2012 X5d convenient and worry free. Everyone will have their own opinions about purchasing these products or not. Decide what works for you, make a decision, and don't look back. I purchased them simply for the convenience of the service offered at the dealer and piece of mind.

Good luck.

#11 ·
I've been told in order to break even on the maintenance plan you need to drive in excess of 18k-20k per year.
Actually not true.

It all depends on if you will get free brakes done- and THAT is driven by miles and brake useage prior to 4yr/50k.

There is remarkably little maintenance between 50 and 100k, or 4-6 yrs. 2-3 oil changes; a few filters, and a brake flush.

Of course salesmen like to figure out your hot buttons ("I put on a lot of miles" or "my wife likes the convenience") and they'll tailor the rationale to fit...:angel:

and of course 'break even' is calculated using stupid dealer prices.

A

PS Someone could get to 4 yrs, with 10k a year- and never have brakes done- and then need brakes at 4 yrs + one day.... so IMO, this is a decision that should be made at 3 yrs 11months or 49k miles. Youll have better data, and the plan is NOT refundable if the car is sold, or a total loss

#10 ·
Agree about purchasing when you have the car for a while or when the warranty is up. However you should possibly also look at insurance companies and their plans:

MBI for geico. Heard their stickler for quotes, but 250 deductible for every repair (and every repair is guaranteed so fails, no new deductible). Main thing is that your paying one person, and it seems as its on for the life of the vehicle (this is based of a friend who had his policy on his lexus since he bought his car new in 1999)

#12 ·
Ard, I agree with you. I failed to mention the 18-20k/year came from my Indy that works on my M5 and in the context of ones driving habits. In general, he stated most consumers do not come out ahead on these plans. The front brakes were replaced at 24k and the rears will need to be done around 40k (based upon the idrive estimate). My wife chewed through brakes on our Sienna as well....keep that amongst friends.

I think I'll break even on the maintenance plan given her driving habits and the extended warranty remains a crap shoot. Knock on wood the car has been trouble free. Bottom line...I no longer need to worry about either.

Since my wife now deals with the service/maintenance of her own vehicle it's just something I don't have to think about over the next 70k of ownership.

For me, these plans are like valet parking. My wife doesn't need to worry about finding a place to park a couple of blocks away. She just pulls up and it's taken care of. I understand there is price for that convenience. Obviously for her I'm willing to pay that price. If my Indy was as equally as convenient I would not have done either.

Finally, can you comment on why there seems to be a discrepancy between the idrive brake status and the actually pad measurement? The fronts were consistent (2 mm thickness and idrive indicating time for service at 24k) but the rears were off by at least 10k (7mm remaining but idrive indicated that the service was needed at 27k). Is the idrive analysis based purely upon miles driven and time?

Thank you!

#13 ·
A

Finally, can you comment on why there seems to be a discrepancy between the idrive brake status and the actually pad measurement? The fronts were consistent (2 mm thickness and idrive indicating time for service at 24k) but the rears were off by at least 10k (7mm remaining but idrive indicated that the service was needed at 27k). Is the idrive analysis based purely upon miles driven and time?

Thank you!
Idrive is a gimmick, IMO. It is an algorithm using miles, fuel consumption and (I think) one single contact closure midway in the wear process. I ignore it.

My biggest issue is that BMWAG has designed their maintenance schedule based on "we measure/check pads and replace both rotors and pads at once"...the must do this since they dont schedule regular rotor inspections, instead they rely on the CBS/Sensor. Fine.

But when the dealer (and/or BMWNA) says "oh, we wont change your rotors, they are over the wear limit" they are violating the logic that allows them to have such large service intervals- a rotor that lasts 30k miles and is just over the limit when the pads are changed, will be dangerously thin at 60k.

I am going to open an NTHSA complain on this practice and see what traction it gets. IMO this 'practice' creates a public safety risk. :angel:

A

#14 ·
I am not sure how it would work with X5, but I changed the front pads 4 times / rotors 2 time in my previous 5 series. Every time when I was about the change the pads for the second time, the rotors were a bit above the limit. Based on my limited experience I assume the rotors are designed to last for two pad changes.

#15 ·
I've always wondered how the limit was calculated, is it

1)replace as soon as rotor gets below this thickness level

or is it

2) safe to go one more set of pads as long as you are above this thickness level

I assume its 1) but don't know for sure.

Jay

#19 ·
I just asked my friend who owns F10 in Europe. He had the pads replaced by BMW, the rotors stayed the same. Therefore, I assume nothing changed and they replaced them every second pads change.

#21 ·
I have 300 miles left before the factory warranty expires on my 2011 X5 35d. I'll hit 100k long before the 6yrs the extended warranty covers. But I still can't decide if I should purchase the ext warranty. I've had no issues with the car, so I figure I might just set aside some money and take my chances. It's after 100k that I think I would really want a warranty. Opinions?

#22 · (Edited)
FWIW my problems started right after the 50K warranty ended. I didn't get the extended warranty and have spent more (dealer and indy) in repairs than it would have cost me. I regret not getting it. Mine was a gasser so I didn't have the added plumbing you have with urea etc. but if it were me I would get the warranty from Danny Dutton at Pacific BMW danieldutton@pacificbmw.com who gives a great 'fest price.:thumbup:

#24 ·
How would you get a warranty on a car after 100k???

Have you bothered to get a quote from Daniel? Literally about the cost of a failed AC evap, and a window switch....at BMW dealer prices.

Do you have a good Indy?

#25 · (Edited)
How would you get a warranty on a car after 100k???
That was my point. You can't.

Have you bothered to get a quote from Daniel? Literally about the cost of a failed AC evap, and a window switch....at BMW dealer prices.
Yes.

Do you have a good Indy?
Yes, an excellent one. Probably the route I'll take. Only issue is I take some long trips so if I have a problem while on the road that can't wait I may end up paying dealer prices.

#26 ·
If you have a great indy, consider the 'powertrain' warranty.... Kinda like major medical.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.