BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

CONSUMER REPORTS- RATES X5 35i PREMIUM WORST CAR

14K views 42 replies 19 participants last post by  Emission 
#1 · (Edited)
Consumer Reports juts came out with a BEST/WORST list
of cars.
The X5 35i Premium was rated as a worst .
The details are in the Consumers full report on the vehicle which is copyrite.

#4 ·
#5 · (Edited)
Before we get another avalanche of how Consumers Reports hates BMW, it should also be noted that CR rated the BMW 328i as the Best Sports Sedan.

-----------------------------
BMW 328i
The 3 Serieshttp://www.consumerreports.org/cro/bmw/3-series.htm is legendary for its handling prowess and fun-to-drive character. With its recent redesign, it has also become roomier, more luxurious, and more fuel efficient. Ride comfort and fit and finish are impressive. And its 2.0-liter, turbocharged four-cylinder engine delivers quick acceleration, while posting the best gas mileage in its class. Sure, the rear seat is snug and the start/stop system is a bit abrupt. We'll live with it. $43,195.
----------------------------

#7 ·
They do ask something quite similar:

"Our annual owner-satisfaction survey, conducted by the Consumer Reports National Research Center, asks subscribers a single, revealing question: Considering all factors (price, performance, reliability, comfort, enjoyment, etc.), would they get their same vehicle if they had it to do all over again? "

Not exactly the same as "which car they would rather have," as, for example, lots of people would rather have a Ferrari than a BMW, but for practical reasons, such as lack of funds, never will.

Under the classification of "Large and Luxury SUV," the X5 is not in the top eight (they only listed the top eight in the summary I saw." Under the classification of "Small SUVs" the X3 came in third, after Mazda CX-5 and the Honda CR-V, but ahead of the Audi Q5 and Subaru Forester.

Remember though, these ranking have nothing to do with any "hard" data or testing -- it is simply a ranking of how many current owners say they would get the same vehicle if they could do it over again. No more, no less.

#9 ·
Truth is, you guys (myself included) like the X5 for reasons unlike the average consumer (aka Consumer Reports readers). You didn't buy your X5 because it was spacious, reliable and had low operating costs... you liked its styling, driving dynamics and performance. Consumer Reports does not measure those parameters - its readers are much more likely to like the Infiniti JX, an all-around much better seven-passenger SUV when the question is posed to the general public. ;)

- Mike

#11 · (Edited)
Truth is, you guys (myself included) like the X5 for reasons unlike the average consumer (aka Consumer Reports readers). You didn't buy your X5 because it was spacious, reliable and had low operating costs... you liked its styling, driving dynamics and performance. . ;)

- Mike
Correct. Though I must admit I was a bit surprised when I first packed for a camping trip and discovered the X5 has less cargo space than my Ford Focus Wagon...

But it is interesting to note that the answer to the question of "would you buy the same vehicle if you got a do-over," is, in my interpretation, a good indication of how well the vehicle has met the pre-purchase expectations of the buyer, i.e., a lower score means the buyer is of the opinion he did not get what he was expecting. So clearly when a vehicle gets a lower score, the expectations of the buyer did not match the vehicle they actually received for whatever reasons. I guess one could look at the inverse of the "would you buy it again" score as a "how disappointed were you in your purchase" rating. Perhaps BMW advertising is too effective and some people have unreasonable expectations when they buy a BMW?

#12 ·
If we all did what CR recommended we'd all be driving MDX's and RX's. I subscribe to CR but take their recommendations with a grain of salt (regardless if I agree or disagree with their recommendations).

We drove the MDX and RX prior to purchasing our X5d and both vehicles were really nice. However, they felt sterile and disconnected.

Fortunately for me, my wife fell in love with driving the X5. Thus we purchased the 2012 X5d and with slightly over 30k on the odo in 16 months have had no regrets. BMW is very good at building that "fun factor" into their products.

It's a shame the X5 was included in the third row vehicle option along with those other vehicles that have legitimate third rows. I would assume the vast majority of X5's sold do not include the third row option as the vast majority of people looking at and purchasing the X5 do not view it as a legitimate third row vehicle.

We added the third row option fully knowing it is not a legit third row vehicle. However, it is a convenient option the 4-5 times/year we use it.

#19 ·
If we all did what CR recommended we'd all be driving MDX's and RX's.
Or BMW 328i's, which CR rated as the Best Sports Sedan. Or Audi A6's, which they rated as the best Luxury Car. I seem to recall they also liked and recommended the new X3.

But that's why CR publishes their test results and describe why they made their choice -- different people have different priorities, so recommendations are only as good as the criteria used to make them.

#14 ·
Mercedes has done a brilliant job taking care of both ends of the market... the consumers who choose luxury and a smooth ride, and the enthusiasts who want a car that goes like frickin stink! The ML63 AMG is absolutely a *****cat around town, excellent ride and all, but all hell breaks loose if you floor the accelerator. It really is the best of both worlds... I cannot say that about the BMW X5 M. :(

- Mike

#17 ·
It is all about the performance. While that doesn't really bother me (my review was positive), driving the ML63 and X5 M back-to-back is a wake-up call.

I am a huge fan of the X5 (owned three from new), but most outside this forum consider the steering heavy, car overweight, interior cramped and reliability sketchy.

- Mike

#20 ·
Too lazy to read CR: did they specifically assess various vehicle with 3rd row seats? Why haven't they included new Tesla, which, to my understanding, somehow has it? I bet it would score poorly too, and the reaction from their CEO could be entertaining...

As a side note, I find comments "I like X5 for this and that" and yet not actually owning it rather telling - despite X5 performance, etc. you've chosen to own other vehicles that fit your needs better (size, cost, whatever) - and that's exactly why CR tests are as valid as, say, those by Top Gear or any performance-oriented outlet. They provide info, and it's up to us consumers to choose, based on our own priorities.

#23 ·
Too lazy to read CR: did they specifically assess various vehicle with 3rd row seats? Why haven't they included new Tesla, which, to my understanding, somehow has it? I bet it would score poorly too, and the reaction from their CEO could be entertaining...

The link above compared the X5 with the third row seating option vs. 3 minivans, an Expedition EL, an extended length Lincoln Navigator, Merc GL, Subaru Tribeca, and Chevy Tahoe. Doesn't seem like a legit comparison to me....i.e. 3 minivans and two very large SUV's vs. an X5 and a Subaru :dunno:

#22 · (Edited)
Quoted from smyles: "As a side note, I find comments "I like X5 for this and that" and yet not actually owning it rather telling - despite X5 performance, etc. you've chosen to own other vehicles that fit your needs better (size, cost, whatever) - and that's exactly why CR tests are as valid as, say, those by Top Gear or any performance-oriented outlet. They provide info, and it's up to us consumers to choose, based on our own priorities."

Agree with your above comments 100% regarding consumers making choices based upon their own priorities. Interestingly in the latest ConsumerReports magazine from April 2013 (not the above consumers.org internet link dated March 2013) they recommend the X5 35i Premium and X5 35d under midsized Luxury SUV's on page 37. Why the discrepancy between one form of media recommending those vehicles and another calling the x5 35i premium the worst of the BMW brand? :dunno: It's the same organization isn't it?

#25 ·
Interestingly in the latest ConsumerReports magazine from April 2013 (not the above consumers.org internet link dated March 2013) they recommend the X5 35i Premium and X5 35d under midsized Luxury SUV's on page 37. Why the discrepancy between one form of media recommending those vehicles and another calling the x5 35i premium the worst of the BMW brand?
The problem, if it is one, with CR reports is that you have to read how the report was made and compiled to understand it. Fortunately, CR is rather open about their methods. To answer your question, here's what CR says about their Best and Worst by brand:

-------------------
"The test performance variation differs from brand to brand, with some brands' worst model being still doing rather well, while others span a wide range making any generalities quite misleading. Take Acura, for example. Even its worst model, the ILX, scores a 77 (out of 100) and meets our performance standards, safety, and reliability criteria to be Recommended. Meanwhile, the best Jeep is the Grand Cherokee Laredo V6. It earns 71 points in our tests, six points less than the worst Acura. However, the Jeep Wrangler Unlimited marks the low point in our current ratings, scoring only a 20.
The gap between best and worst can be even broader. Chevrolet, for instance, spans from the Corvette Z06 (92) to the Spark (34). "
-------------------

For example, the Best Jeep scores worse in CR tests than the Worst BMW, i.e., when you limit Best and Worse to one brand, one model will have to come-out on the bottom, no matter how good it is on an absolute scale.

Which BMW model do you think should be rated below the X5 as the "Worst BMW tested?"

#26 ·
Like Mike stated; CR is evaluating SUVs based of the needs of a different consumer. They like Toyota Highlander. Both the X5 and the Highlander are nice for different reasons. Last place is not necessarily a bad vehicle in this class.

#28 · (Edited)
Last place is not necessarily a bad vehicle in this class.
As someone pointed-out earlier, while CR rates the X5 as the "worst" BMW, they still give it a "Recommended" classification. It's not like they are saying it's a bad vehicle, just not has "good" as the other BMWs they have tested, in their opinion.

But, as you point out, people have different priorities for what they want in their vehicles. The true value of CR tests in not in a single, one number, "score" for a vehicle -- such a number, of necessity, has an implied weighting of the importance of various performance and features, e.g., if a person wants a functional third-seat for adults and isn't that interested in handling, an X5 is not a good match. But for someone who wants some of the features of an SUV and still has reasonably good handling, an X5 is a good match. No single score can address both of these people.

The true value of CR tests is in the detailed evaluation, which scores individual areas of performance and features. While I often disagree with CR's overall scores, I find their detailed evaluations of particular areas to be accurate most of the time.

The one place where CR, Car and Driver, and other auto magazine tests and reviews often miss the target, in my opinion, is in evaluating ease of operation and control features. While some things, such as a control which is hard to reach, are valid criticisms, many tests take vehicles to task for being too complex and "hard to use." In actual fact, they often confuse "hard to use" with "takes time to learn." I can see why someone testing a BMW for a few days, and then going onto a different brand, might not like i-drive, but it's not really a big issue when you use the car daily and get use to the system, e.g., I found the i-drive to be distracting to use the first couple of weeks, but once I got the system down I was quite happy with it.

#33 ·
CR has no soul. Everything they do is strictly mathematical. That's fine when comparing vacuum cleaners, but is woefully lacking when comparing high performance cars.

#35 ·
Which must be why they picked the BMW 328i as the Best Sports Sedan?

And why they rated the Porsche Boxster as the best roadster?

The highest rated vehicle of any tested in the last year was the BMW 135i.

It's been a few years since CR tested a Porsche 911, but when they did they "scored" it as one of the highest-rated vehicles (96 out of 100) and they said they "found it a gas to drive, with pinpoint steering and rock-solid body control. Handling is extremely precise and agile, and the ride is relatively supple. Braking is phenomenal. "

Frankly, those are not what I would consider "souless" cars. But, that's just my opinion.

#34 ·
I have not read CR in 20 years.

I seem to do much better with Yelp, Amazon product customer reviews, etc.

I think CR has become obsolete if you are computer savvy. The same info is readily available and free.

#38 ·
Based upon the April 2013 publication of ConsumerReports shouldn't they have picked the 7 series as the "worst" vehicle BMW offers instead of the X5? They showed that the 750Li was the most expensive to own (pg. 6) and "thirstiest" (pg. 7) of the upscale luxury sedans. In addition, it was not recommended by them (pg. 33 and 43).

On the other hand, the X5 (35i premium and 35d) are both on their recommended list (pg. 37 and 44). Yet it was the X5 35i that was BMW's "worst" offering of their entire line up? Shouldn't the vehicle that wasn't recommended be on the "worst" list?
It just doesn't make any sense.

Clearly, the Internet article of "best and worse" is in conflict and is inconsistent with their print publication. Again, why bother with a "best and worst" within each manufacturer. Why unnecessarily elevate an overall poorer scoring vehicle to "best" while at the same time unnecessarily degrade a higher scoring vehicle to "worst?" The editors should not be required to pick a "best" and "worst" per manufacturer (as in the internet article). It makes more sense and seems more objective if they stick with the best and worst categories within a vehicle class (similar to what they've done in the magazine).

#39 ·
Again, why bother with a "best and worst" within each manufacturer. Why unnecessarily elevate an overall poorer scoring vehicle to "best" while at the same time unnecessarily degrade a higher scoring vehicle to "worst?" The editors should not be required to pick a "best" and "worst" per manufacturer (as in the internet article). It makes more sense and seems more objective if they stick with the best and worst categories within a vehicle class (similar to what they've done in the magazine).
You seem rather obsessed with this. CR did this as part of their discussion of brand reputation data and it's limitations. To make their point that one cannot blindly go by brand, as there is some large variation between models, they simply took their test scores and used them to show the best and worst models of each brand.

Here's the lead-in to their article when they did the best and worst of each brand:

"While car brand reputation can be a strong influence on purchase decisions, such perceptions can be misleading. The reality is, every brand offers models that perform across a spectrum, with some are clearly better than others. As we see in our annual Car Brand Perception survey, how consumers view brands can often be a trailing indicator and not reflect the current reality. To further illustrate this point, we have compiled a list chronicling the best and worst models by brand based on our overall test scores. The test performance variation differs from brand to brand, with some brands' worst model being still doing rather well, while others span a wide range making any generalities quite misleading."

Does that help?

#41 ·
Why are everyone in this thread freaking out?

All CR cares about is reliability and since the 35i is a joke when it comes to that, they ranked it super low. Simple as that.

No need to be freaking about it and trashing CR. They have their own statistics to back up their data.

#42 ·
All CR cares about is reliability
Yeah, that why they said this about rating the 328i as the "Best Sports Sedan:"

-----------------------------
BMW 328i
The 3 Series is legendary for its handling prowess and fun-to-drive character. With its recent redesign, it has also become roomier, more luxurious, and more fuel efficient. Ride comfort and fit and finish are impressive. And its 2.0-liter, turbocharged four-cylinder engine delivers quick acceleration, while posting the best gas mileage in its class. Sure, the rear seat is snug and the start/stop system is a bit abrupt. We'll live with it. $43,195.
----------------------------

It's all about the reliability....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.