BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Towing Photos with X5.

153K views 428 replies 93 participants last post by  kanar200 
#1 ·
Anyone else use their X5 to tow things?

We have a '12 X5 Diesel that replaced our towing vehicle (an 08 Chevy Silverado) so obviously the replacement needed to be able to pull when we were car shopping. No complaints yet! Seems to tow everything from 600lbs in sheet rock and bathroom materials to a covered snowmobile trailer and our 21ft Four Winns runabout with no problems and still get relatively good mileage compared to the old V8 truck. Love that torque!

Anyone else tow and have some pictures? I am looking forward to loading down the boat the boat this upcoming summer and really trying the X5 out!

See less See more
#44 · (Edited)
I get 11-13 towing @70-75. The main factor is wind velocity and direction.My trailer is an 18' V-nose, and the total deadweight including race car is 4500 or so. This is 1-2 less than I got with my Tuareg diesel, which should be pretty close to the 35d. My X5 35i tows better than the VW did overall, though, mainly due to WB/ suspension differences. I like diesels, but the 35i is fine for towing and I feel no need for a diesel.

#45 ·
I have towed various sizes of U-Haul trailers in the past with my 2010 X5 3.0, mostly when friends are moving and need help but don't have a truck with a hitch. No complaints since 2010..

#46 · (Edited)
My X5M tows like a dream; can't even tell I have ~6k pounds behind me while towing my race car. I'd like to add electric brakes, as the trailer is already equipped with it. Big dollar install of the hitch (and computer reset) from the dealer, but thankfully I was able to negotiate it in with the original purchase for cost. ~11mpg in efficiency mode while towing, and just under 10mpg in M mode while towing.

#48 ·
Probably about the same as my diesel X5 unloaded! ;)

#49 ·
Probably stronger and only limited by yanking the subframe apart on launch!

#51 ·
At a stop light with the family and the 22 foot ski boat behind the X5M, some kid pulls up in his Civic and revs his engine, slap the M in launch control, light turns green and rocket away, with the freaking boat attached...

Time to go test drive an X5M, but bring my boat along so that I can try that..

#53 · (Edited)
"Here are a few things I have towed with my X5 35D. Never had a problem. I used a hitch from Europe because I did not want to cut up the bumper. That diesel just loves to tow on the highway! I don't have the third row seat option, but the car came stock with the rear air suspension."

KaKalika,

I'm in the same boat as you, no third row but have air suspension and, I am also using a european hitch.

Video of my European Hitch opening and closing.

http://s1087.photobucket.com/user/expat3/media/trailer/hitchopen-closevideo.mp4.html

Here are a few pictures of the trailer.

Heading to the track.

photo Picture307b.jpg

photo Picture305b.jpg

At the track

photo Picture326.jpg

photo Picture322.jpg

Truck and trailer at track

photo Picture312.jpg

I love how well the X5 tows.

I'm not quite sure how link the hitch open/close video without it opening photbucket. It also seems as if the video quality suffers from opening the video this way, but, you get the point.

#56 ·
the automated hitch it indeed awesome, but too bad it only offers the ball thingy, which means no bike rack potential :(

#59 ·
I've never looked for a bike rack that could mount to this style hitch because I mount the bikes on a roof rack (old school I know). I guess you could always use this rack sold by BMW and still use the hitch. Although I'm not sure if there would be any clearance problems with bikes mounted

http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-forums/x5-e70-forum/48860-bmw-rear-bike-rack-pics.html

Although what yogi799 is using looks like it works just fine. I prefer not having the receiver style hitch and the hole you must cut into the bumper cover. What I like most about this option is you don't see it when not in use, I don't have to remove and store the ball when done towing. I just push a button and the hitch disappears until I need it again.

To each their own, I can see where this hitch may not have some useful features and is somewhat limited but it fits my needs perfectly :thumbup:

#58 ·
Some of the European/North-American differences in towing equipment are probably cultural. For instance, in my experience you would rarely find anyone "over there" who actually has a need or a desire to tow what you pictured. Lifestyles are generally different.

In fairness however, the differences between European and North American hitches are primarily driven by two very different regulatory environments. In Europe, a hitch must pass dynamic testing that involves approximately 2 million cycles of forward/aft and side/side forces with the full-rated load attached. The U.S. requires one-time static load testing only. To the best of my knowledge, a U.S.-style sliding square-tube receiver has never passed the Euro dynamic test because there is necessarily a substantial amount of play in a sliding square-tube receiver. The play causes it to blow up under heavy, repetitive cycling. An argument could be made that the Europeans are over regulating by requiring dynamic load tests, but metal fatigue is very real. Not coincidentally, the European tow rating for a vehicle is often 20% higher than the North American tow rating for the same vehicle.

We try to provide the best of both worlds by passing the Euro dynamic load tests with a zero-play ball mount for towing, while also offering a classic U.S. square-tube connector for attaching racks. Even then, we occasionally get dinged for not supporting both towing and rack attachment simultaneously, as is shown in your picture. Perhaps that will be next year's project.

Daryl

#66 ·
^^ I'm doing Electrical over Hydraulic brakes, basically getting rid of my surge brakes. I have to replace the actuator with a fixed one, and I'm going to use Titan Brakerite II

#68 ·
Nice trailer. If I could go enclosed I'd go for something exactly like that. I bet that low roof line makes a real difference in fuel economy. What are you hauling in it?

#71 ·
I did a bit of towing this past week with the diesel.

First trip out on the boat for the year.

Moved some furniture 80miles.

#73 ·
I love towing things. Replaced an 08 Silverado with the X5D. Had the 6.0 in it, and tuned it up with headers and exhaust. Thing would tow a LOT of weight.

X5D isn't QUITE as capable towards that limit, but for this boat and anything under it in size, it tows very nicely. Sometimes I noticed it lags at stop lights if i really need to get on it. Have to wait for the turbo to spool and then it takes off. Just a little different than an NA motor, but still very capable.

And yep. 07 Four Winns Horizon 210 SS. Very fun boat!

#74 ·
Planning on towing my 25 ft Cobalt about 600 mi to a new location. My X has dealer installed OE hitch with back up camera features.

Trailer is a Venture aluminum, dual axle trailer with disc surge brakes, leaf springs. Bought new in 2011, currently has 1K mi on it. Brake fluid has never been flushed. Standard non-radial, bias ply 15" tires, inflated to 50psi. Wheel bearings have not been re-greased.

Any suggestions before I undertake this journey next month?

Attachments

#75 ·
Check brake fluid reservoir. Check tire inflation pressure for the load you are carrying (50 PSI seems low, I'm running 80 PSI in my load range E tires, and the same size boat). Check your hub seals on the inside of the wheel, if necessary, regrease bearings (or use bearing buddies). Use an IR thermometer to monitor the temperature of the hubs at rest stops. If one is abnormally high, you have a problem. The one thing I didn't see on your trailer is a spare tire. You might want to buy a spare tire and carrier.

#80 ·
Did you even bother to try to search this topic?

By the way....welcome aboard.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#81 ·
Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Travel trailer

#83 ·
About 3900 dry so not too bad. 400 pounds tongue weight. 8.9 avg mpg over 360 miles on this trip though!
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Travel trailer Transport

#84 ·
About 3900 dry so not too bad. 400 pounds tongue weight. 8.9 avg mpg over 360 miles on this trip though!

Holy $%^&*. 9MPG is pathetic. I tow about 6k lbs with my old '03 high-revving Honda motor (Acura MDX) and getting 8MPG. It seems that technology has not advanced at all in the last decade when it comes to towing. Gasoline engines suck (ie suck and consume gas) as bad as they used to.

We need a true comparison here with the 35d. Blue Dragon goes first! Real MPG please at 100 kmh (62mph) towing 5-6k load.

8-9 MPG is a crime against humanity :D:rofl:

#86 ·
How much could you pull with the 3.0 engine? We bought a 22.5ft Cobalt bowrider and I doubt my X5 could handle it but I need advice on this! Dry weight of the boat is 3,850lbs and the fuel tank holds 40 gallons of fuel. I don't want the maintenance of the V8 however I'm guessing the diesel would have plenty of power? We have plenty of vehicles capable of pulling the boat in my immediate family and I personally have a black Z71 Avalanche and the X5. Seeing as how the Avalanche is more practical I might sell the X5 and just keep one vehicle yet the X5 would be perfect if it could handle it. Any advice would be appreciated!

#87 ·
Your X 3.0 can handle it! Tow rating is same as mine ('08 4.8i), 6,000lbs tow capacity. It won't be very quick from a dead start, but the 3.0 can do it.

I tow a Cobalt 252 (with a 454ci, 7.4liter DP Volvo Penta motor) dry weight 4,250 lbs plus the weight of the dual axle trailer at 1,050 lbs, for a total weight of 5,300 lbs dry. With gas it is in excess of 5,500 lbs.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.