BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Door trim lights....

26K views 25 replies 17 participants last post by  Target 
#1 ·
Does anyone know if these lights on the interior door trim are supposed to light all the way through, or is it normal for just the front to light up like in my pic that i took....

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
you long time members will be very happy that i searched the subject before starting a new thread:D

i been thinking the same thing ever since i saw someone else's pics of there interior in the day time and the lights where real bright.

I didn't even notice they lighted up at all to tell you the truth....nice
at first i thought it was some kind of aftermarket mod, so i went and looked at my doors and to my surpise:yikes: i had them too.

my question is do they sell any aftermarket kits, like AIB's do for the halos, to make these brighter....
it will be a trip :brent: for your stoner friends that is! :angel:

i will search for the pics i saw and post them

EDIT: here it is

#17 ·
i will search for the pics i saw and post them

EDIT: here it is

I'm supprised to see my picture of my 7, and even more supprised to find out that it is from someone else's photobucket album link!

I took that picture around 5pm with no flashlight and ISO at 800. I think they were designed to be noticeable yet not too bright.

#6 ·
that picture appears to be taken in a dark enviroment with a flash that was bounced, rather than direct illumination... thats is why the orange glow seems so bright, yet it looks like the picture is taken in daytime... they are fairly bright, but you can only see them at night... you may also want to check your dimmer switch as these are controlled it as well.... the 7 had some really intelligent interior lighting, and yes i do miss it...

the light also is brighter at one end, and fades away towards the other end, it is not designed for the entire panel to light up evenly...

#11 ·
The strips of light are only lit from one end and are meant to really shine down on the buttons and door locks, not the whole door... this combined with the little LED lighting in the roof, the lights shining on the console at the front near the cupholders, and the lights on the pillars at the back really make a nice ambient effect at night.

#13 · (Edited)
This ambient lightning is now available on a lot of cars (mostly option).
Mercedes overdid it a bit with the S-class

BMW has it spot-on. It's a joy to drive the car during the night.

wrong place to ask, but does anyone have pictures of the ambient lightning in the new 7-series?

Maybach overdid it as well, but, since the car is a bit vulgair, it's okay I guess.

On the B and C pillars there are 3 white LEDs creating the ambient lightning.
Have to say that I adore the 3 clocks on the roof.

By the way, the 7-series is a much better drive than the maybach.
Drove it for a few days and was glad to be driving my 7 again.

#14 ·

That is EXACTLY how i want my 7 to look! Mercedez has it right on, IMO of course. :thumbup:

i still think that someone should make an aftermarket upgrade to make the existing ambient lights brighter and possibly change colors :brent:

#15 ·
+1, I love the Merc lighting, its the same as the 7 with the strip of light but since its brighter and is lit all around it makes people notice how cool it is. People tend to not really notice how good the lighting is in the 7, they almost take it for granted until I point all the LEDs in the car and then turn them off to show the difference...

I'm a sucker for pretty lighting :D

#19 ·
Take notice how bright the lights are on the buttons compared to the orignal pic it is clearly a much darker environment when the picture was taken.

#23 ·
never notice it. cool find. and i am also looking forward for an aftermarket led light on the door handles

#26 · (Edited)
The only thing I found searching was this thread, but it doesn't mention which 7 series model it's for: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=257168&highlight=door+trim+light

If that guide can be used for the E65, it seems like you have to remove the entire door panel. Also it doesnt mention where the LED is located, nor does it mention the part number/type of LED bulb.

Edit: I also can't find the bulb on realoem.com - I presume the #11 - #14 on this page is for the exterior door handle light, right? http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=GL61-EUR-08-2001-E65-BMW-745i&diagId=63_0737

Or is the LED part of/integrated in the silver door trim, and not a separate bulb?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.