BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Protecting my investment? x35d

3K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  jesus_man 
#1 ·
We are buying a demo 2012 x35d and take delivery in a few days. It is the 7-passenger version, but we will rarely use the 3rd row. It has black Nevada leather interior.

What are some products you recommend to protect our investment? We'd like to look into all weather floor mat options, a sunshade etc, but being new to BMW, we're not sure what is a good product, what we don't need etc. I would appreciate any help!

Secondly, I am not new to diesel at all, in fact I am very excited to finally be in a position to finally own a diesel SUV! But I am new to this generation of diesel engines. I am new to the DPF, the Urea injection etc. I know that short drives are bad for these components, so I am looking for suggestions on how to drive the X5 so that we aren't doing it any harm. It's my wife's car and her commute is about 15 miles one-way. But we do plan to use this car as a weekend warrior for traveling. We certainly want to maximize fuel economy, but don't have a problem with using the skinny pedal when needed.

Thanks for the help!

#3 ·
I was looking at those. I had a set in my truck. Driver side fit perfect, passenger side didn't. I think it was because 90% of the trucks like mine were Auto and mine was a manual so I think that had something to do with it. Glad to hear you like them.

#6 ·
We had 3M clear bra installed on the front of my wife's X5d. In 16 months she's put slightly over 30k on the odo and the front end and mirrors look brand new. She has a couple of deep rock scratches just beyond the protective clear bra.

#8 ·
A car is not an investment... It will not appreciate over time!

I was like that 10 years ago - buying weatertech mats, hood protectors, thinking about clear bar, washing and Klasse every other week etc. And then I got older and realized that it is NOT my last car, there will be others after it. So at this point car is a utility, a mean - but with lots of elements of fun and practicality.

Are you planning on keeping it until it runs to the ground? if yes, then you should consider certain protections to avoid maintenance/repair costs.

#9 ·
Alexmish - I'm not here to argue with you on a car being an investment. There are cars out there that do appreciate. This is not one so maybe I made a poor choice of words, but at the end of our ownership, if my car looks 10% better than yours than it should sell easier and for more. I am also only taking a little pride of ownership.

#10 ·
I only found one guy who will do a clear-bra, but recommends against it as he says it will yellow over time.

So considering the color of our X5 is platinum gray, is there any other wrap that I could use that would look good? My first thought was black carbon fiber, but I don't know that my wife will go for that. Maybe a matte black?? Anyone seen any wraps that only protect the front? Thanks!

#16 ·
I have it on my wife's car - 2002 325i and it has not yellowed. The car bakes in the hot sun at work all summer long for the past 10 years as she has no covered parking available.

I would recommend you get it installed as it has saved the paintwork from the severe winters and hot summers. Bugs in the summer and sand and rock chips used for traction in the winter.

The color is Titanium Silver so if it has yellowed, it would show easily. You can always replace it if it does yellow after a few years. Repainting the car would be more expensive.

#11 ·
In 7-8 yrs of having a clear bra on one of my vehicles I haven't noticed any discoloration. I suppose if it did discolor you could remove it and replace it. For me, I'm not a fan of the "wraps."

#14 ·
Just wanted to let everyone know that I just installed a set of Weathertech digital fits in our X5. I am very please except the lack over coverage for the passenger side up higher on the floorboard near the firewall. The OEM mats cover approx. another 6" above where these cover. Looks like a case where they thought the design was "good enough" and didn't go back and look at the OEM mats to see what they covered.

Otherwise, we got the full set, including the 3rd row and cargo space and am pleased. We will have to fold or remove the cargo mat to use the 3rd row, but that will be rare.

#15 ·
^^ surprisng. "digital" should always be better...right??

;)

#17 ·
A vehicle is an investment....just not a good one.

Clear Bra is worth it hands down......for sure.

As far as trade in goes the dealer could care less about the number of wash and wax jobs or mods. They care about accidents, unrelated routine service and a piece of paper that tells them the latest average selling price of your trade in. Three weeks ago we traded in a beautiful Lexus LS 460 with low miles driven by my soft footed wife without a mark on it. They looked at it for less then a minute and that was it. If you baby your car it makes you feel good about how you care for the things you own but if you flip them every four years like we do the dealers don't care so don't get your heart broken. Now if you plan to pass it down to your kids that's another thing, lol, wait till they get their hands on it. Enjoy it while you have it I say and if you want to detail it every week they have a ball.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.