BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

How to remove dash & door panel for stereo upgrade?

17K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  John320 
#1 ·
I did a search on "door removal" and "dash removal" without any luck. I'm looking at CPO X3's this weekend and want the premium audio, but it appears it's somewhat scarce. If I find a car I like without it, I want to know in advance how difficult it will be to upgrade things my self.

FWIW I've pulled plenty of dashes & door panels on older cars (Miata, WRX, Jetta...) but never attempted it on anything as nice as a modern BMW.

#4 ·
That's a great pictorial DIY. Thanks for going through all that work to create ... and just in time, too. My front/rear passenger door pulls are loose at the top and I need to tighten them. Your DIY helps alleviate my concern on how to remove the trim.

:thumbup:

#5 ·
glad to hear that, upgrading the front speakers on the X3 actualli made me want to drive it more now......

that was one of the things that i didnt like about the car...was the crappy speakers esp in mid and high range...esp when i can hear a huge diff between the sound in the X3 and the sound in my other car (the Z4M with the THX system...and a Audi TT with a Bose system and a set of subs in the back) the X3 was the only car that came with std system .....

i now have most of the sound faded up to the front (75% front) since i did not upgrade the rear door speakers (and i usually dun have passengers in the back anyhow) ....which elimates the 'distortion' from the rear stockies

#3 ·
Dash is so easy you will laugh. Total of two screws. I will look up my directions at home.

It's essentially pulling back on the air vents above it, and then removing two screws below.

I'll post some pictures later.

#6 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.