BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

What's needed to get an ED Date locked

3K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  MustGoFast 
#1 ·
So I'm not new to the ED process, in fact I'm thinking about car #3 next fall. The difference this time is I want to travel over Oktoberfest with some friends rather than having pretty good flexibility in dates.

So I was wondering, how soon can I get my date locked, and do I have to have everything selected prior. This time I'm not sure which car I'm going to get yet, can I lock a date early and decide the details prior to production for example? I know I've heard of people having a date locked and changing dealers so there seems to be some flexibility around the date lock that I'm not familiar with.

I know on financing it only locks for 60days anyway so that's not going to get done until much closer to the due date.

Thanks for the help.

#3 ·
The earliest you can get your ED confirmed is 6 months. Some dealers will agree on a deal outside of that window (my first ED, we agreed 8 mo out), but BMW does not confirm greater than 6 months.

Just a thought on Octoberfest...enjoy the festivities..then pick up the car, maybe?

#5 ·
The earliest you can get your ED confirmed is 6 months. Some dealers will agree on a deal outside of that window (my first ED, we agreed 8 mo out), but BMW does not confirm greater than 6 months.

Just a thought on Octoberfest...enjoy the festivities..then pick up the car, maybe?
Six months would work for me. On the Octoberfest vacation, why worry about the car now, Make your plans and then get your order in, 6 mos before delivery; you should not have date problems that far in advance, and I know from others on this site that you can make minor changes (color, options), prior to production.

#4 ·
I am in a similar situation. BMW Financial Services now has a smartphone app promotion, for existing Financial Services customers, in which you set up a test drive, and can receive $300 to $700 off first lease payment, on a car ordered by December 31. I would like to take delivery in mid May and hoping ED will accept an order for delivery 5 months in advance. I thought you could go about 6 months on an existing model, but would appreciate hearing from anyone who has recently ordered that far in advance.

#6 ·
First you plant the seed, then you grow the tree, when the apple is ripe you pick it. It is exceedingly difficult to decide what day to pick the apple when you have not yet planted the seed!:dunno:

#11 ·
But if you know roughly when you want to pick apples, you know you must plant the seed a certain amount of time before. (Having grown an apple tree once and waited years for apples, it makes waiting for redelivery seem almost instantaneous by comparison). However, I did have to decide what type of apple tree to plant at the beginning.

#13 · (Edited)
I can have someone pick an apple for me, but I can't get them to pick up my ED car. Or has that changed? Do I have to order the car, or can I get someone else to do that?

ED is not as easy as apple pie - it's more like apple strudel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.