BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

New Owner

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  BMWvoid 
#1 ·
Hello. I just joined the forum. My new vehicle is a 2014 X3 3.5i, with M Sport, Premium, Cold Weather, and Technology packages, and a whole bunch of new bells and whistles that at the moment seem overwhelming. I traded in my 2006 X5 4.4, CPO, 95k. I loved my X5. During the 5 years I was the owner, it never left me stranded, rarely had problems, and was a blast to drive. However, post warranty work was starting to take its toll. The math was working against me, since I am not mechanically inclined for these highly engineered vehicles and relied primarily with my dealership for service. Nevertheless, I am hoping for a similar positive experience with my X3. (I was BMWvoid at Xoutpost.com)

#3 ·
I ... relied primarily with my dealership for service.
First, I hope you enjoy your new X3.

I would strongly suggest you rely on your dealer for absolutely nothing other than warranty service or maintenance included during the warranty period. With a very few dealers excepted, you will grossly overpay for less than quality service. I am making this statement after almost 45 years of buying new cars and dealing with dealers.

No matter where I lived I was always able to find a trustworthy local shop that specialized in BMWs and/or Mercedes that could be depended upon for quality work at a fair price. Sometimes it took some effort to find a good shop but one was always there somewhere.

Again, with a very few dealers excepted, it is almost impossible to have an intelligent conversation with the dealer service advisors relative to the concerns about the work I wanted done or the problems that needed resolution. A small local quality shop is very different in this respect.

Your level of anxiety will be much less, the work done will be of a much higher quality, the cost will be less, you will be respected, and you will be able to meaningfully communicate with a good local shop.

In most cases I think it is a mistake to be of the perception that a modern BMW is to complex for anyone other than BMW.

#4 ·
Agreed

Thanks. I agree with your assessment.

Quick question: With my X5, I followed the Mike Miller old school maintenance recommendations starting at 20k when I bought it. What's your opinion about doing an oil change after the first 1000 miles on my new X3? I remember 10 years ago that interval was recommended on my SAAB.

#5 ·
I am of the old school too. I would and always have changed the oil at 1000 miles or so at my own expense. I also will never go more than 7500 miles or so without an oil change. With synthetic oil probably 10,000 miles is fine but I change the oil at 7500 to make me feel better about it. I also do not agree with BMW or many people that post here and think it is insane to start a car on a sub freezing morning and not let it warm up for at least a few minutes.

#6 ·
Pictures

Here are pictures of my new X3 and outgoing X5. It's only been a few days with the X3, but I like the new ride so far. They have dramatically different feel on the road. My X5 had the sports package, which may or may not be equivalent to the M package in my X3. The X3 is much smoother on the road and is deceptively fast. Fortunately, the heads up display keeps me in check. I do miss the growl of my V8 engine. But, I am starting to appreciate the purr of the N55.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.