BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Good E9x Hardtop Convertibles

12K views 81 replies 27 participants last post by  bri335is 
#1 ·
Hello All. My first post here. About 3 weeks ago my (paid for) E46 330 Ci Convertible was totaled and my wife wants another Convertible. However, I've read herein some horror stories about stuck and/or leaking E9x Hardtop Convertibles. I even saw the U-Tube video of the guy in SC showing his 335 leaking (badly) in a carwash.

So here's my question. How many of you have GOOD (properly articulating and nonleaking) Hardtop Convertible BMW 335's??

Generally, those that exhibit problems on internet are the tails of the distribution (statistically speaking) and so its hard to determine the real extent of a problem (again statistically).

What I'd really like to know is how many experience NO PROBLEM.

A leaking, non-atriculating roof to me is a show-stopper. I had a Z3 before the 330 and both were ragtops....and neither ever leaked for failed. If the problem with the E9x is really extensive....I'll look for another E46 (maybe a M3).

Thanks!

#54 ·
No leaking or other top troubles with my 3 year old (in 13 days) E93.

I realize I am in the minority on this forum, but I see no need to the air deflector. One of the reasons I have two convertibles is because I want the feel of the wind blowing around. If I didn't I would just get a E92 with a sunroof.

#55 ·
:thumbup:

#63 ·
My wife keeps one of those squiggy things in the glove box for her hair when we have the top down. I think it costs like one dollar. I saved $299 right there! :thumbup:

#73 ·
I've had my 2008 for two years now and no leaks, even in the rainy Pacific Northwest winters.
I use the high pressure hose at the car wash and no leaks. I do have a little rattle in the colder weather coming from the right rear. Gummi Pflege seems to fix it for a short time but it does come back.

I am a "no wind deflector" kind of person. Also, always windows all the way down when the top is down. For me a big part of having the top down, besides the sun, is the wind effect. But also, I'm mostly bald so don't have any hair issues. Even at highway speeds I find no significant noise problems, i.e., you can easily have a conversation.

#74 ·
I am a "no wind deflector" kind of person. Also, always windows all the way down when the top is down. For me a big part of having the top down, besides the sun, is the wind effect. But also, I'm mostly bald so don't have any hair issues. Even at highway speeds I find no significant noise problems, i.e., you can easily have a conversation.
More than an hour at speeds of 70 or above gets fatiguing to me....so on the highway, the windows go up unless I'm only going to be there a little bit.

Also, I've discovered that windows up with no windscreen is actually worse at higher speeds than windows down...90 mph with the windows up and with windscreen up is like 30 mph with windows down and no windscreen :thumbup:

In town they are always down, unless the giant truck beside me is making so much noise the person on the phone can't hear me :)

#79 · (Edited)
This shot shows the windscreen in place with the rear seat folded down and the BMW fitted luggage in the back seat.

You can clearly see that the wind deflector will not interfere with the movement of the front seat.
I leave it in pace all of the time during top down season as I rarely have back seat passengers.

#81 ·
BMW 328i Alpine White Hard Top Conv - 2009 leaked

My 2009 leaked on the driver's side, at 500 miles, purchased it in Illinois took it to dealer 3 times (no joy) relocated to DC area, while driving through PA over a bridge in the rain, water streamed down the driver's window. That was it! Reported it to BBB and BMW HQ New Jersey w/2k miles, BMW replaced 2009 w/2010 same attributes, HAPPY! Until now, its 2013, my warranty expires in Nov on my 2010 replacement and i've been having trouble with my roof again, how many miles 22k....have i taken care of it....better than my husband. Very disappointed....if you're going to sell a convertible (obtw their only manufactured in Germany) and you know the roof has issues....why not extend the warranty on the roof....especially considering the SAFETY aspects and the FAITH in the customer's reliability. I have a video of the Left latch (unk) breaking after having the seals fixed 2 months earlier, and taking it in because the right latch (unk, proper part name) being the reason i brought it in for the second review. At this point, i'm so disenchanted i don't know whether to trade it in....but i love "My Precious"....so much and did i mention she'll be paid for in May 2014 (Happy 50th Bday). Arrghghha:mad:

#82 · (Edited)
I'm a recent E93 owner and so far my experience has been exceptional. I did quite a bit of research before purchasing and was split between a E93 M3 or E93 335is. After reading many reviews ( Boston.com - http://tinyurl.com/lcw6l4w and Motor Trend - http://tinyurl.com/mqdgdmg and the write-up from Beden1, I decided on a 2011 335is.

I also used CARMAX to have one delivered because believe it or not but there are not many E93 335is's out there. I had a really good experiance with CARMAX got mine with 24,000 miles on it and they even gave me new OEM tires. That being said I got the extended warranty through CARMAX, it does not cover convertible tops so watch out.

I have had my car about a month put 2,000 miles on it. Since I live in Las Vegas put my top down pretty much everyday, I don't see much rain. I've run it through a car wash twice and not had a single leak. The trunk space is small but I regularly put two duffel bags under the divider with no problems. Also I spent $10 on a seat-belt attachment for the dog and he loves cruises.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.