Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > BMW i > BMW i3 I01 (2014 - Current)

BMW i3 I01 (2014 - Current)
The BMW i3 and BMW i8 are the first two cars launch under BMW's new sub brand BMW i. The i3 is an all carbon fiber, all electric vehicle meant for urban mobility.

Old 05-25-2017, 11:36 AM

Mein Auto: Infinity G35
Considering i3 vs volt vs Tesla Model 3 - Finally made up my mind

I decided by next car will be able to drive without gas. Either fully electric or REX.

I've been researching, test driving, and choosing between a used i3, used gen1 volt, or new tesla model 3.

Now I know the model 3 isn't out yet, but I have a good spot on the reservation list and could probably get one in late 2017 / early 2018.

Cost wise the telsa would cost me about $35k after the tax credits. The volt I want would cost $15k. The i3 I'd want (REX with Harmon Kardon, and Tech package) would cost about $22k.

I think I've finally decided on a 2015 volt. I like the interior of the i3 much better, but there are just some things I can't get over - the limited road trip capabilities is major, but the WHEELS AND TIRES are the main thing. The narrow wheels are the cause of the darty freeway handling, and all the frequent blown tires.

Honestly if it had regular width tires, I think I'd buy the i3. I hope maybe they fix it in the next generation so I can get one someday, but I'm just not willing to drive around this city with HORRIBLE roads, and feel like I'm one pothole away from ruining my week. No spare tire = huge pain in the ass. Custom tires = long wait to replace them.

How much range do you really think the i3 gains by using these tires instead of more sturdy ones? I'd gladly sacrifice 5 miles per charge to get rid of those weenie motorcycle tires.

So good luck to all you i3 owners. I get the appeal, I really do. If you know anyone at BMW, please tell them those narrow wheels are costing them customers.
Advertisement
Old 05-25-2017, 12:25 PM
Fastpaddler

Mein Auto: 2016 Jaguar XF AWD Presti
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipnslider View Post
I decided by next car will be able to drive without gas. Either fully electric or REX.

I've been researching, test driving, and choosing between a used i3, used gen1 volt, or new tesla model 3.

Now I know the model 3 isn't out yet, but I have a good spot on the reservation list and could probably get one in late 2017 / early 2018.

Cost wise the telsa would cost me about $35k after the tax credits. The volt I want would cost $15k. The i3 I'd want (REX with Harmon Kardon, and Tech package) would cost about $22k.

I think I've finally decided on a 2015 volt. I like the interior of the i3 much better, but there are just some things I can't get over - the limited road trip capabilities is major, but the WHEELS AND TIRES are the main thing. The narrow wheels are the cause of the darty freeway handling, and all the frequent blown tires.

Honestly if it had regular width tires, I think I'd buy the i3. I hope maybe they fix it in the next generation so I can get one someday, but I'm just not willing to drive around this city with HORRIBLE roads, and feel like I'm one pothole away from ruining my week. No spare tire = huge pain in the ass. Custom tires = long wait to replace them.

How much range do you really think the i3 gains by using these tires instead of more sturdy ones? I'd gladly sacrifice 5 miles per charge to get rid of those weenie motorcycle tires.

So good luck to all you i3 owners. I get the appeal, I really do. If you know anyone at BMW, please tell them those narrow wheels are costing them customers.
The Volt is excellent. I will get one soon to use for local trips.
Old 05-30-2017, 03:55 PM

Mein Auto: i3
Enjoy,
I am on my second i3, over 25,000 miles, never a blow out or a flat.

And, I do not find any of the concerns you claimed are present on the tires.

And, read some reviews on the seats in the Bolt....some of the most uncomfortable and problematic on the market.

I find the i3, with the new batteries, gives me 125 miles electric and 75 gas with the REX.

With 195 absolute confirmed range, plus the gas option, and seats that are great, you can have your Bolt. It is a great car, lost of bang for the buck. But don't try to sell me on something you've made a decision on. Buying lesser but adequate is ok. But your concerns a and comments are factually wrong.

I have a moon roof, Harmon Kardon sound, leather seats, fast charge and an app that give mes the option of car information and preconditioning. Plus, a gas REX and great BMW service.

I don't regret my decision.

Read the forums. You may regret yours.
Old 06-02-2017, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGS9500 View Post
Enjoy,
I am on my second i3, over 25,000 miles, never a blow out or a flat.

And, I do not find any of the concerns you claimed are present on the tires.

And, read some reviews on the seats in the Bolt....some of the most uncomfortable and problematic on the market.

I find the i3, with the new batteries, gives me 125 miles electric and 75 gas with the REX.

With 195 absolute confirmed range, plus the gas option, and seats that are great, you can have your Bolt. It is a great car, lost of bang for the buck. But don't try to sell me on something you've made a decision on. Buying lesser but adequate is ok. But your concerns a and comments are factually wrong.

I have a moon roof, Harmon Kardon sound, leather seats, fast charge and an app that give mes the option of car information and preconditioning. Plus, a gas REX and great BMW service.

I don't regret my decision.

Read the forums. You may regret yours.
I said VOLT. I don't want a bolt. If I'm going to pay that much for an new electric car it will be a model 3. But I can get a used i3 for 20k or a used volt for 15k.

I do really like the harmon kardon and the interior, but i3's aren't really any good for road trips like the volt is. There's just a peace of mind that comes with knowing I can take off on a whim if I want. The volt's rex allows that. The i3's really doesn't.
And although you havent blown any tires, there are tons of reports of people with a lot of tire issues, and the roads in my city are terrible so I have to take that into account.
Old 06-02-2017, 08:01 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT; i3 BEV
FWIW, far more people post about problems than the lack of them, so take that into account regarding any failure or problem.

The i3 was designed for shorter ranges, its REx for range anxiety, not for long trips, although people use it that way. The Volt is designed with the idea of being a more efficient long-range ICE. The i3 was not. The i3 is super efficient for what it was designed for. You can use pliers to remove a nut, but a wrench is better...pick the right tool for the job or live with the compromises.
Old 06-04-2017, 04:21 PM

Mein Auto: i3
Got it Volt, not Bolt, V/B dyslexia.

I drove a volt. Took it home for a weekend trial. I thought it lacked any sports car feel an the acceleration of the i3. It was a nice car, very sedan life. Kind of soft in the corners and heavy.

It certainly is better for long trips. The i3 just felt like a sport car.

And, as has been noted, there are lost of complaints about problems, but very few if there are no issues.

The most common complaint I hear about the tires is that on the end of lease, BMW makes them replace the tire as they have excessive wear.

If tires are wearing out, they are not failing from impact.
Old 06-19-2017, 03:08 PM

Yeah the volt is better for road trips and the i3 better around town. I think if you have 2 cars, the i3 is the perfect second car. If you only have 1 car, like me, you need a car that CAN make road trips when needed.
I know the volt isn't as fun to drive and the visibility is way worse than the i3, but it still has good torque off the line.

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
decisions, i3, tesla, tires, volt

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > BMW i > BMW i3 I01 (2014 - Current)
Today's Posts Search