BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

C7 A6 versus F10 5er comparison video

8K views 60 replies 31 participants last post by  Ingolstud 
#1 ·

Let the usual pissing match commence :thumbup::rofl:

#2 ·
I drove the C7 A6 a couple of weeks ago. I really like the power train. Also like the tech a lot too. And the price. Those who care about throttle response will love the A6 - it's instantaneous.

But I also was reminded I don't like the looks, the interior does feel a little cheap by my standards, and would have preferred the active suspension of the European models. I test drove both the sport and the non-sport package and thought I would like both of those setups for different occasions.

#8 ·
This sums it up almost perfectly for me except that I would not want the active suspension. I find the sport package to be ok for general use.

But damn, that powertrain is smooth and STRONG.

#3 · (Edited)
How many people have you heard say the 5 looks like a 3? If anything, it's more like a 7. I think they need their eyes checked.

I just drove an A7 and liked the car but didn't like the cheap plastics and finishes used in the car. Prefer the 5 series myself. Also, I've learned the price difference between BMW and Audi is quickly compensated for by the much better lease residual values of the BMW.

#4 ·
Agree on the cheap plastics and finishes. The 5 is very close to the 7 in interior quality. The A6 is nothing like the A8 on the inside.

#6 ·
If there's ever been a bigger piece of yellow journalism I certainly can't recall it.
One has to wonder just how much these shill clowns got paid for their efforts.

#9 ·
OMG! Do these guys get paid to do this? Who would trust these two with these cars? That was a riot..kind of like a B Movie, but in a car review format

Why not see if the Audi coud catch the BMW??? That was the most unscientific car review I have ever watched, and it took over 9 minutes..LOL

Attachments

#12 · (Edited)
Volkswagen is well known for its funny commercials. This is one in a somewhat other format though. I am still wondered why you would drive an AWD 535, if not for living in the snow for longer periods. A RWD BMW will smash the standard FWD Audis all the time. And on this side of the pond it is almost all Audi pullers you meet in real live. But what about the throttle response in this film, is that something you endure with a 535? My diesel reacts direct on the accelerator. Is it software and so what version of CIC is it you need to have to overcome this?

#15 ·
LOL +1

Or somewhere two villiages are missing an idiot each!...:thumbup:

#14 ·
Interesting video. I like the fact that Audi has identified BMW as the standard-bearer it wants to beat-out for automotive dominance...underscores my decisions to select BMWs for the past 5 cars I've owned (including the 2 that are in my garage right now).

#16 ·
A 3 second throttle response lag? I know we're over-run with threads on throttle tip in and delay on this car but 3 seconds sounds like a bit much. Sounds more like turbo lag but 3 seconds would be ridiculous for that as well.

I'm not driving a 535 so I can't really speak from experience but the BS registers really came up when I watched that part of the video.

#19 ·
I only watched bits and pieces. Glad I didn't watch the entire thing. The part I saw that totally turned me off was when they overdramatized the one "tester" trying to put the gear shift lever in to drive.

#20 · (Edited)
Did a back to back test drive between F10 535I, 550I and 2012 A6...

Looks like i am the odd man here... i know you guys gonna deep fry me for saying this but i felt the interior layout (basically the dash and button/knobs) is pretty good compared to F10.

The knobs are really good... dont feel like plasticy to me .Any ways thats me (To me the best layouts are Infinity and Acura).

and comming to test drive itself i tried to duplicate the severe problem we are having here (Throttle response) i was able to duplicate in 535I (very slightly noticable but not in annoying range) and 550i(its completely neglible you wont even remember the delay once the engine kicks off but you will be in 60 all the time without even knowing it) and 2012 A6 is in between 535i and 550i (You guys should really test drive it) a novice like me felt the difference so you guys will certainly appreciate it.

there are few tech things which are not avaialble in A6 which may be a deal breaker for some, like the 360 view cameras , Auto parking assist, Apps...

configuration is very very simple no confusion, its as simple as configuring a acura or honda. There is package called Innovation package which cost 5900$ and includes entire silicon valley (except the few above)

its basically like master of all jacks but nothing perfect.. if you configure BMW equally you will be around 6-8k below.

But you won't have better options like nappa leather or better selection of interior wood trim etc:-

#21 ·
I have a two part response to this video:

1) I agree with the consensus; these two clowns look like they should be driving Camaros and Mustangs and drinking Bud Light while having one hand down their pants, Al Bundy-style. Even if they are qualified to evaluate a luxury sedan, nobody's going to take them seriously because of the way they present themselves.

2) Subjective things aside, it's obvious that Audi put in a ton of effort to crush the 5-series with the C7. In almost every empirical measurement, the A6 wins, whereas before Audi would put out a car that was 0.8 seconds slower on the 0-60 run, or a few hundredths lower on the skidpad and they didn't give a rat's ass. The C7 is notably different in this regard, and for that Audi deserves a tip of the hat for upping the ante.

Meanwhile, with the F10, BMW did a cursory cosmetic update and added a few features they copied from the 7. The F10 is by no means a bad car (I have one :)), but I'm sorry, you have to give Audi the gold metal here when it comes to improving their mid-size sedan over the previous model. BMW just kind of rested on its laurels and didn't really produce a game-changer this time around.

#24 ·
I have a two part response to this video:

1) I agree with the consensus; these two clowns look like they should be driving Camaros and Mustangs and drinking Bud Light while having one hand down their pants, Al Bundy-style. Even if they are qualified to evaluate a luxury sedan, nobody's going to take them seriously because of the way they present themselves.
I blame Top Gear. Now every car show or segment feels it has to be "funny" whatever that means. The 2nd guy wasn't actually that bad; if he lost his hillbilly sidekick it wouldn't have been a bad segment.

I love TG as entertainment, but every once in a while I long for a show like the old TG which was sincerely interested in reviewing cars.

#22 ·
Hmmm. Well, I do think the F10 is more than a cursory cosmetic update to the E60. That said, good on Audi for upping the ante as you say. Haven't seen an 2012 A6 yet. Last time I checked, a couple of weeks ago, they had none in stock. So, even if it's a better car, you can't get one.
Hate it when that happens.

#23 ·
In South Florida they have several.

#31 ·
I'm a little surprised to hear they feel the steering on the S4 to be inferior to the E90 because I found it quite lovely with a quick rack. The A6 feels surprisingly similar for a car that's actually bigger but alas it's rack hasn't got as quick a rack.

#37 ·
even edmunds.com has compared 535 and a6 quotes the following

http://www.edmunds.com/audi/a6/2012/...ison-test.html

"Yet, the 5 Series is the car that made the midsize luxury sedan class cool, and BMW executives seem to have lost sight of that. There's nothing terrible about this softer, more luxurious 2011 535i, but it doesn't match its predecessor's braking and handling numbers, and more critically, it just isn't as fun to toss around anymore.

The Audi A6 has never been a player in this class - the 5 Series usually outsells it 4 to 1. But great things happen when an automaker has nothing to lose and this A6 feels like a winner.

This 2012 Audi A6 puts a smile on your face when you steer into a corner. And it puts one there again when you floor the throttle at the exit. This all-wheel-drive sedan is arguably a more entertaining car to drive than any of its rear-drive rivals. Sport sedan or not, the Audi A6 is now the car of choice in this category."

#38 ·
So glad you joined this site to dig up a 2 year old thread bashing the F10 and praising the A6. Great job! So proud!

#40 ·
My 550 is waiting on the docks at Bremerhaven. Is it too late for me to cancel my order and buy an A6 instead? I'm now worried my 550 will be a complete piece of garbage.

#43 ·
My fellow troll, have you forgotten the A6 (like the S7) has the usual Audi steering :D

"But as much fun as the S7 is, Scott and I couldn't get past the sadly typical bad Audi steering feel. Comfort mode is lacking and Dynamic is overboosted -- there's no sweet spot. Ron described it as "numb but precise." Fair enough. But the mid-corner understeer can best be described as middling. But in this company, and especially at this price, it's unacceptable."

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests...benz_cls550_4matic/viewall.html#ixzz2JKmIcvHg

#41 ·
The 550 is a great car, there are not many comparisons for the 550 vs A6. One post said that the knobs felt cheap in the 5 series. My knobs dont feel cheap or plastic at all, they are ceramic and they shine. There hasnt been one person who sat in my car and complained, and I have had a lot of people look at it.

I think that most of the people on these forums must be penny pinchers and purchase a stripped down base model version of the 5 series. If I did that, yea I would not be happy in it either. But with the M package, Bang and Olufen, Ceramic knobs, carbon fiber extras, shadow line trim, and more the car is really great

#47 ·
http://www.edmunds.com/audi/a6/2013/#fullreview:

In years past, buying a midsize luxury sedan typically came down to what you desired more: luxury or sport. Other than BMW, no automaker seemed to be able to truly provide harmonious levels of both. But with its 2013 A6, Audi has shown that it's finally got the secret recipe as well. And in some ways, it's even better than BMW's.

Last year, Audi subtly redesigned the A6. On the outside, the A6 gained the large trapezoidal grille and more angular headlights found on the latest A7 and A8 models. Outer dimensions shrunk slightly, but interior space grew, thanks in large part to a longer wheelbase. Yet Audi trimmed the car's overall weight with increased aluminum construction, helping the A6 feel lighter behind the wheel.

This year, the 2013 Audi A6 continues its charge by piling on even more new features. Most notably, the addition of an all-wheel-drive option for the A6's base 2.0T model effectively eliminated one of our chief complaints from the 2012 model. Also new is a fuel-saving start/stop engine function for the 3.0T and a top-view camera system with front and rear side cameras to peek around corners.

All the bells and whistles from last year are here as well. Features like a head-up display, an adaptive suspension, night vision with pedestrian detection and mobile Internet all keep the A6 on the cutting edge of technology. Besides all of this high-tech wizardry, the A6 also maintains Audi's reputation for high-quality interiors and a refined ride quality.

:thumbup:Taking all of this into account, it's easy to see why the A6 is a front-runner in the midsize luxury sedan game. Notably, the Audi knocked the venerable BMW 5 Series from its "Ultimate Driving Machine" perch when we pitted the two in a comparison test; it's simply the more engaging car to drive.::mad:

The new Lexus GS is also pretty sporty, though perhaps not quite as dialed in as the A6. Of course, the stately Mercedes-Benz E-Class and Jaguar XF are also worthy of consideration, as both are biased more toward luxury rather than driver fulfillment.

Deciding among any of these fine choices won't yield any losers.;) It will simply come down to what you value as a driver. That said, you'd be remiss not to check out the 2013 Audi A6, regardless of your preferences.:angel:

#52 ·
The A6 is a pretty looking car from the outside but that interior just doesn't do it for me. F10 >A6/S6 by a mile there.

For some reason whenever I am in an Audi i can't help spot out the similarities it has with my buddies VW's. Audi also shot itself in the foot now when they made the A4 look identical to the A6. Great for the A4 guy but sucks for the A6 dude that spent another 20K for his ride.

Alan

#57 ·
The A6 is a pretty looking car from the outside but that interior just doesn't do it for me. F10 >A6/S6 by a mile there.

For some reason whenever I am in an Audi i can't help spot out the similarities it has with my buddies VW's. Audi also shot itself in the foot now when they made the A4 look identical to the A6. Great for the A4 guy but sucks for the A6 dude that spent another 20K for his ride.

Alan
The interior of a car is a subjective thing, just like the exterior design of a car. While the F10's interior is very nice, the A6's is right up there as well. The biggest difference for me were the seats, the BMW multi-contour seats blowns the Audi seats away in comfort and support, and the A6 do not offer optional upgarde seats in the A6 and A7, which is a big mistake in my opinion.
As far as the A6 looking like the A4, I think the F10 looks more like the F30 than the Audis.

#53 ·
been favoring big audis as DDs for some time now
but i really like the new 5ers minimal interior.
audi and mb are now way too button-y.
the new exterior is growing on me too
having been an e60 hater.
i also am a fan of the soon to be endangered inline 6.
have to get behind the wheel of a 535xi and see whats what.
been in my A8 for 3 years now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.