BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

IOS 6 for iPhone and Connected drive

33K views 156 replies 26 participants last post by  650iQ7 
#1 · (Edited)
Maybe is already well known by most of you, but here is a link showing IOS 6 beta version allowing messages to be read through connected drive, finally.
Also, I was finally able to download/upgrade media/bluetooth update file from BMW.COM, and upgraded iTunes as well,ready for IOS 6!. Click on smiley face
:)

#37 ·
Are you saying you're the Thom of navigation?!?! :rofl:

I'm just taking iOS 6 in bit by bit as I stumble across stuff. So far, I'll give it a :thumbup: aside from this text/e-mail mess. Panorama is pretty cool - expect it to be overused in future videos just for the hell of it lol.

#44 ·
I got my iPhone 5 tonight - earlier than expected :) :D

I haven't had a chance to play with it much aside from just connecting via BT - gonna try to figure outrage messaging tomorrow and see how it goes.

It's kinda a mess right now because I need to upgrade my OS from Lion to Snow Leopard to own load the latest iTunes so I can sync my 5 with my 4S backup. I'm ashamed of myself for getting so behind with my software, but I have the disk being overnighted to have Saturday so I can marry my phone with no data but all my info with the new phone with data but no info. Gotta admire Apple for the marketing genius of forcing me to buy their software right after buying a +$400 phone. Sneaky but brilliant...

Hopefully I'll have it all working and integrated with the car by Sunday morning...

#48 ·
My iPhone 5 is showing texts via BT (only when received when I'm in the car already) but still no email. The old tech BB was better in this respect as it synced all texts and email. I guess we're all waiting on software fix. BTW I'm running 3.5.4 in the car.

#50 · (Edited)
+1. This is what I'm getting as well. I can't say that I've gotten an e-mail while driving - that I've noticed anyway - but I just have the email icon (envelope + @) with a "0" next to it. I noticed the envelope text icon show up by the clock when the text came through, then I went to "office" then "current office."

It definitely has some kinks that need to be worked out, but it's better than what we've had before. It would be really nice if there were to add an icon to access Siri so that we could reply to the text being viewed, but I think that may be asking for too much.

#49 ·
I've been getting emails in my idrive using 650iQ7s method of going to notifications in the phone and cycling on-off-on for each email account.

Only problem is that it still goes under text messages section, not email messages.

Works for now until we get a bug fix, I guess.

#52 ·
My i5 now works with my Office functions but only shows 2 flavors of messages not three like before with the 4s and iOs 6. I cycled the blue tooth notification on/off setting and now the office shows a field for emails and bmw messages but not text. iOs 6.1 is coming soon at a theater near U...

#55 ·
I turned notifications on in the bluetooth menu and I got my first text in the car. My bluetooth is turned on but I am using the usb cable to listen to music.

Attachments

#64 · (Edited)
Something new today... When I get an email through my idrive, it's usually cut, showing only the first few lines and followed by a "..." indicating that there's more. Can't see the rest of it.

Earlier today, for the first time, I was able to scroll down to read the whole email, which happened to be a bimmerfest notification.

I don't know what initiated that but has anyone else seen it? That's what my wife's BB does.

#67 ·
I had problems receiving e-mail via iDrive until I accidentally forgot to lock my phone prior to docking in my snap-in adapter. If I don't lock my device prior to connecting, then launch the BMW connected app (which prevents iPhone locking), and then connect my phone, I get e-mail reliably (whether I have notifications configured on my Phone or not). I'm guessing not being able to pull e-mail off an iPhone while locked is a security requirement.

#68 ·
Dang... have the iPhone 4 adapter... hand me down from Donna's X5... can access all music and playlists, but can't see any texts or emails... Did the earlier '12 verts come without the UPD1005 updates? Just bought mine, which the dealership had for 4 months...

#69 ·
bluetooth

You do not need the cable or adapter for SMS transfering to iDrive office, need to set up your iPhone bluetooth and notifications. Do not really need the latest bluetooth interface update. :typing:

#70 · (Edited)
Emails

:mad: I upgraded today to latest IOS 6.0.1, emails now do not show in iDrive office, only SMS. Even turning off/on notifications for each email.

#71 ·
:mad: I upgraded today to latest IOS 6.0.1, emails now do not show in iDrive office, only SMS. Even turning off/on notifications for each email.
Same here. I've yet to find a fix.

#73 ·
Can't wait till my Samsung Galaxy Note II comes in the mail so I can tap dance on my iPhone 4S. So glad I didn't *"upgrade"* to the iPhone 5.
Have to get a briefcase to carry that thing, won't you? Ha.

Signed,
iPhone5 User

#80 ·
It was just a joke, let us know how everything integrates with the iDrive, you never know, you may get a bunch of iPhone lovers to jump into the competition.

#81 · (Edited)
Of course... Note the smiley in my above post :)

Rather than make two posts, I just used your quote to explain my next project. Everything after "Bluetooth headset FTW ;)" was for the general audience and not directed at you lol. BTW, that looks like a Zach Morris mobile phone hahaha.

It won't integrate with idrive at all. That's why I love the screen size on the Note 2. It's gonna be self sustained so I can use the idrive for other things like a full map screen or night vision (which I rarely use because its annoying to switch between that and audio screens)

#83 ·
I guess you ain't cool these days unless you have an iPhone in one hand and a Starbucks in the other lol. You're such a hipster ;). I prefer my hands free in case I have to neutralize a proximate threat.

I'm a sucker for MFDs. No different than playing on idrive.

Kidding too, of course :)

#84 ·
I guess you ain't cool these days unless you have an iPhone in one hand and a Starbucks in the other lol. You're such a hipster ;). I prefer my hands free in case I have to neutralize a proximate threat.

I'm a sucker for MFDs. No different than playing on idrive.

Kidding too, of course :)
MFDs??? Enlighten me, por favor...

Hipster? Really??
A. I don't have an Instagram account, which, if I'm not mistaken, is required to call oneself a hipster.
B. I don't have any stupid hats or scarves.
C. The last time I shopped in a thrift store, it was to buy a pair of jeans to destroy for a sorority party... also, I learned that day that Goodwill isn't accustomed to breaking $100 bills. #awkward
D. I couldn't tell you the difference between Indie rock and a song by Lady Bieber or Justin Gaga.

#85 ·
Notifications

It looks like any notifications will transfer to the iDrive if you turn off/on the app notification while connected through bluetooth. I got whatsapp notifications today in the SMS inbox. :jawdrop:

#89 · (Edited)
Both being hipster prerequisites lol. I see them all the time. They got their Mac Books on the table, iPad in hand with an iPhone to the ear... And a venti, soy, extra hot, extra foam, three pump, no whip, cinnamon dolce latte, upside down, double cupped on their crusty lips.

The stinky, stale incense smelling wool hats are for odoriferous unpleasantries to the olfactory bulbs.

:D :D :D

#91 ·
Both being hipster prerequisites lol. I see them all the time. They got their Mac Books on the table, iPad in hand with an iPhone to the ear... And a venti, soy, extra hot, extra foam, three pump, no whip, cinnamon dolce latte, upside down, double cupped on their crusty lips.

The stinky, stale incense smelling wool hats are for odoriferous unpleasantries to the olfactory bulbs.

:D :D :D
So what is someone who has an equally picky Starbucks order but an Android tablet in one hand and Android phone in the other, and has never owned a scarf or knit hat in their life? :rofl:

Sent from my Galaxy Tab using BimmerApp

#93 ·
Viber notifications also transfer if you turn off/on the app notification while connected and with each start. It looks like iPhone IMAP vs BMW Bluetooth interface does not distinguish between notifications

#98 ·
You have got to post a gallery of detailed pictures and explanations once you get this contraption set up. I could use a good laugh, and I'm genuinely interested in seeing this technological marvel :)

#99 ·
New software available

New software update with BMW ConnectedDrive (communication and media) is available, do not know if fixes anything, I am out of town.
Just FYI

#100 ·
New software update with BMW ConnectedDrive (communication and media) is available, do not know if fixes anything, I am out of town.
Just FYI
Thanks for the update I'll try to install it tonight and report back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.