BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

IOS 6 for iPhone and Connected drive

33K views 156 replies 26 participants last post by  650iQ7 
#1 · (Edited)
Maybe is already well known by most of you, but here is a link showing IOS 6 beta version allowing messages to be read through connected drive, finally.
Also, I was finally able to download/upgrade media/bluetooth update file from BMW.COM, and upgraded iTunes as well,ready for IOS 6!. Click on smiley face
:)

#3 ·
finally!!!!! I was waiting for this, now I can see both messages and emails after IOS6 upgrade...

of course there are always limitations: it doesn't actually sync messages or emails, it only shows new messages and emails as they come in., they need to be unopened/unread, it's basically pulling the email and sms notification messages from the phone. You cannot reply or do anything with them, just read it or have the iDrive read it out load for you in a cryptic way or use a phone number in the message to dial.

And of course you need to jump through some hoops to make it happen
- Need the latest combox update (3.4.5)
- Turn the "Show Notifications" to on in bluetooth settings
- In notification center turn on "Show preview" and "view in lock screen" for each email account and also for messages

it works through bluetooth so it works with or without the dock or the connected driver app.

#12 ·
I cannot get messages through idrive

I have turned on all notifications, I did upgrade my 4S to IOS 6, I did upgrade the idrive software from BMW.com, I have turned on notifications in iPhone bluetooth for the BMW vehicle. I did not get SMS through :cry:
Is there anything else?.
Thanks

#4 ·
I cannot see any SMS or email on iDrive screen, am I doing something wrong?
Upgraded to IOS 6
Thanks

#5 ·
I just upgraded to IOS 6, I am able to get Test messages come through on the Idrive, but not emails. Has anyone had this issue? I have set Notification On, Alert Style: Alerts, Badge App Icon: On, Show Preview :On and View in Lock Screen On. I lock my phone and see new emails coming though the notification much like text messages, but I do not get it on the Idrive.

#7 ·
It was exactly like that on mine at first; I have couple of email accounts on my phone, it was not showing the emails, up until I turned on the notifications on all of them. Or maybe it took a while to recognize as I was playing around in notifications settings.

#6 ·
just to make sure: you are using an iphone 4S? and you have the office menu in the iDrive screen?

to read the messages you need to go to office>messages menu, where you can filter for all or e-mail, text or service messages. (if you can see the filter for email and text, but no messages, then make sure you have the right settings in iphone's notification center and wait for a new message. If you don't see email and text on the filter make sure you have turned on "show notifications" in iphone's bluetooth settings) Again only new unread messages show up simultaneously as you get the notification on the phone, not old ones.

If you are not in office menu, little message icon shows up on the right top of the screen indicating a new message.

#10 ·
just to make sure: you are using an iphone 4S? and you have the office menu in the iDrive screen?

to read the messages you need to go to office>messages menu, where you can filter for all or e-mail, text or service messages. (if you can see the filter for email and text, but no messages, then make sure you have the right settings in iphone's notification center and wait for a new message. If you don't see email and text on the filter make sure you have turned on "show notifications" in iphone's bluetooth settings) Again only new unread messages show up simultaneously as you get the notification on the phone, not old ones.

If you are not in office menu, little message icon shows up on the right top of the screen indicating a new message.
I have an Iphone 4 not a 4s. Yes I have set the notifications for email. I see them pop up on the phone when screen is off. The text messages come through but the Email Icon on the idrive always shows 0.

#8 ·
It looks like the upgrade turned off emails notifications, Bluetooth notification is new (vehicle specific)
Thank you very much will try it tomorrow

#24 ·
No contact picture

I do not get the contact pic on the iDrive screen when getting a phone call with IOS 6 :bawling:. With the IOS 5 I did not even get the artwork for each song through bluetooth, just when connected to the USB cable, I will check this tomorrow.

#11 ·
Still testing, the upgrade to IOS6 also has an option to block the notifications on screen for SMS and by default is blocked. This AM SMS did not go through, will see now by allowing notification on screen. Did not get any email while driving.
I am guessing email/SMS notification on iDrive does not require the iphone to be connected through cable to the iDrive, and hope will still work while connected.

#14 ·
Thank you

I will try a new pairing and will follow all the recommendations from the link. Again, thank you :) :thumbup:

#15 ·
It did work!, I repaired my iPhone and SMS notification going through, emails do not.

#19 ·
Jimm652 did you do anything special? I have upgraded the Idrive code, IOS 6 on Iphone. I enabled notification for emails. I get Text but not emails.

#18 ·
upgraded my phone to 4s today and same issue, text messages work, but emails don't. Tried it on my wife's car and mine with same result.

#20 · (Edited)
My emails are now going through the iDrive in the same inbox as SMS. I do not know if it is by chance, but since this AM emails were not going through, while iPhone connected through Bluetooth and unplugged from the USB, I went to each email and turned off notifications and then turned them back on, also I did not have any icon (alert style) selected on the emails, I selected the central location for notifications (alerts). Now it is working.

#21 ·
My emails are now going through the iDrive in the same inbox as SMS. I do not know if it is by chance, but since this AM emails were not going through, while iPhone connected through Bluetooth and unplugged from the USB, I went to each email and turned off notifications and then turned back on, also I did not have any icon selected on the emails, I selected the central location for notifications. Now it is working.
When you disabled and renabled notification, was your bluetooth still connected? Also are you connected via USB or just bluetooth?

#22 · (Edited)
Emails working

:thumbup:, Yes, the iPhone was connected through Bluetooth and was not plugged to the cable USB. Then I disabled and enabled the notification for each email, also I have selected the alert style to "alerts" prior to this, it looks like they defaulted to "none" after update to IOS 6.

#23 ·
It may just be a patience thing. My wife told me that it took like five times of shutting the car off for the night and then restarting for work in the morning before emails came through. Once they did though, the emails would appear on idrive flawlessly. This is on her BlackBerry but same concept.

Perhaps just some time and patience in needed.

#26 ·
Well, this AM emails stopped working and I repeated the steps I described above and working again

#28 ·
I was driving and wife did check emails on iDrive

#30 ·
I tested it again after I went to the vehicle, and again emails did not go through, went to each email and turned off notifications and turned them back on and started working again. It looks like with each start I have to do this to be able to get the emails.

#33 ·
Agreed! I've been very anxious for iOS6 and MAP for one simple reason. I hated getting a text while I'm listening to Pandora or MOG and have to end my music session to see what a new text is with iOS5. Now, with iOS6, I don't have to do that.

Another thing... If you guys are upset that Google Maps have gone away, there is a work around:

Go to Google Maps on your Safari Browser. When you do, it will prompt you at the bottom of the page to set it to your homepage. When you do this, it will add a Google Maps icon on your homepage, similar to the old one (it just doesn't show Cupertino anymore). Easy Peezy!

Also, Google released a YouTube app in the App Store which is far superior to Apple's outdated, preloaded YouTube app.

#36 ·
Nahh man not me lol. I do have a lot of Navigation Apps lol, but then again, i am a navigation guru. Anyway, a lot of people in all different Forums on here are complaining about Apple's Maps and that they liked Google better. Just giving a heads up on how to get it back as a quick access.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.