BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

How to replace low beam headlights?

12K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Jimxw 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

One of my low beams lights stopped working and I ordered this new set: http://www.hidextra.com/h7/5000k/

How do I install it? I read that I just need to remove the 3 screws around the round housing? Do I have to remove the whole headlight unit prior to installation or will a small screwdriver be able to remove the screws?

Thanks,
Kevin

#2 ·
If prior to facelift model. 3 screws removes the round cover. Remove the "U" shaped clip and that allows the rubber bellows to slip up the HT cable. Then there is a bulb retained to twist to get the bulb out. PROBLEM: The X5 does not use H7 Xenon bulbs unless you retro fitted the xenon lights.
Sure would help if you were to tell us what year and model you are driving and anything else you might think would help us to help you.
GL.

#3 ·
I'm driving a 2003 BMW X5 3.0i

Did I order the wrong bulbs? I did not "retro fit" or do any modifications.

How would I remove the 3 screws? The space is tight (especially for the screw on the bottom). Will I just have to use a small screwdriver?

Thanks!

#5 ·
Help us help you better by creating a signature that contains your model/model year/build date (or add it to your info that appears to the upper right).

There are multiple e53 models, engines, transmissions, headlights (halogen & HID) that occurred during the production from the 2000-2006 model year. By having this info permanent in your posts...there isn't a lag in responses/replies waiting for more details. Sometimes diagrams & part nbrs & other info may need to be looked up before replying to your post...and by having NO information at all...can make forum members not answer or respond to your posts due to lack of information. :)

Again, help us help you better by clicking the USER CP link at the top of the page and create a signature that contains info about your X5. If not, just remember to post model info (as you came back to do in post # 3 above). :)

#8 · (Edited)
Last question(s) hopefully:

1. Do I buy D2S or D2R bulbs?

2. Which are the best bulbs (brands? models?)? Closest to OEM quality or better? I heard Phillips was good.

3. What temperature (4300k, 5000k, etc.) matches the OEM bulb?

Thanks guys! :)

#11 ·
How to replace low beam xenon HID bulbs 2006 BMW 330i http://youtu.be/v-irmBq9OLg

search on youtube:
How to replace low beam xenon HID bulbs 2006 BMW 330i

My car is a 2006 330i Sedan with HID lights. The left side low beam light was dead after 7 years since I bought the car. Dealer was asking for $200+ for just checking what was going wrong. I decided to do the replacement myself. So I bought the exactly same HID bulb from amazon which cost me $35, and I used a coin (a quarter) as the only tool to finish the job. Cool? Please keep in mind that you take your own responsibility if you try doing this yourself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.