Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > F12 / F13 (2012 - Current)

F12 / F13 (2012 - Current)
The all new 3rd generation 6 series coupe (F13) and convertible (F12) forum. The F06 BMW 6 Series Gran Coupe forum is here

Old 04-09-2014, 09:02 PM

Mein Auto: 650i Cabriolet
Drivetrain Malfunction

I had a Drivetrain Malfunction after 1100 miles in my new 2014 650i Convertible.

The car had been sitting for 4 nights while I was out of town. It said "drive with moderation" which is what I had to do at night. I had to drive about 10 miles in this condition. The car shuddered and reved - in idle it had really variable revs.

This is what I saw...

The next morning it still said Drivetrain Malfunction, but when I did the vehicle status check it then said "All OK" and then it seemed to be pretty normal on the way to the dealership.

The dealer found a bad Vanos Solenoid (exhaust?) and a bad thermostat (stuck open). Both were replaced. I will post more details from the dealer paperwork, there are some codes.

After about 6 hours I got the car back (had a loaner) and it seems back to normal.

I am wondering what to consider/look for in the future. I have 3 more years with this car!
2014 650i Cabrio (current) M Sport package and edition Carbon Black : Black Nappa leather dashboard:Active Driving Assistance:Lane Departure Warning:Active Blind Spot Detection:Side and Top View Cameras:Speed Limit Info (sometimes ignored)
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=384930&dateline=1397101129

Last edited by 6cab; 04-10-2014 at 05:54 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 04-09-2014, 09:20 PM

Here is some info on VANOS

2014 650i Cabrio (current) M Sport package and edition Carbon Black : Black Nappa leather dashboard:Active Driving Assistance:Lane Departure Warning:Active Blind Spot Detection:Side and Top View Cameras:Speed Limit Info (sometimes ignored)
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=384930&dateline=1397101129
Old 04-10-2014, 11:20 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 650i Coupe
Welcome to our group. Your where you should be to learn all about the many attributes and possible issues related to the 650i/N63Tu.

With the DTM warning usually a dealer will do a minor repair as in your case and see if that corrects the problem before moving into changing out all of the injectors, which is probably where your headed.
Imola Red
Individual Leather
Merino Opal White
M-Sport
20" 373 Wheels
NON-RFT/Nitto 555ZR-Extreme
Full LED Lighting
Piano Finish Black Trim
Ceramic Controls
M6 Spoiler
Imola Red Diffuser/Gloss Black Wrap

Old 04-10-2014, 02:52 PM

I was afraid I might be headed toward some more part replacements...

At least no bolts broke - so far

Those 373 wheels are growing on me. I had 19" 313s on my 335is, so it has taken some getting used them.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:58 AM

Mein Auto: 650 coupe SE, V8 4runner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakeDaddy View Post
Welcome to our group. Your where you should be to learn all about the many attributes and possible issues related to the 650i/N63Tu.

With the DTM warning usually a dealer will do a minor repair as in your case and see if that corrects the problem before moving into changing out all of the injectors, which is probably where your headed.
It is still ridiculous to be having a problem like that at 1100 miles.

2014 650i M Sport Edition
Imola Red
Ivory White Nappa
Bang & Olufsen Sound
Full LED Lighting
LED interior Lighting
Driver Asst Pkg
Executive Pkg
M6 Spoiler
20" 373M Wheels
Heated Steering Wheel
Xpel Clear Bra
BMW MGP Brake Calipers
Bimmian alum pedal set.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjoed2 View Post
It is still ridiculous to be having a problem like that at 1100 miles.
Who knows what's gone on with the gas or more than likely a defect in the hundreds of pre-assembled manufactured parts.

The 4.4 TT V-8 valvetronic isn't your basic boring banger.

AND Hey if you a hotty on your arm she don't come cheap.
Imola Red
Individual Leather
Merino Opal White
M-Sport
20" 373 Wheels
Full LED Lighting
Piano Finish Black Trim
Ceramic Controls
M6 Spoiler

Old 04-14-2014, 09:10 PM

OK to provide more info for my incident

1)
FC 131601 VANOS EXHAUST 2 COLD START NOT CONTROLLABLE
FC 120408 CHARGING PRESSURE CONTROL DEACTIVATION

REPLACE BANK 2 EXHAUST VANOS SOLENOID

2)
FC 1D2008 MAP THERMOSTAT JAMMED OPEN
Diag Code D1150-B000000-01-01
2174 REMOVED AND REPLACED MAP THERMOSTAT
BLEED AND PRESSURE TESTED COOLING SYSTEM
Old 04-15-2014, 12:59 PM

Thanks for your update. Fairly minor stuff but absolutely needs to be corrected. I'm hoping that's will be it for now.

Read up on some of the preventative things to help keep the DTM warning from appearing.
Imola Red
Individual Leather
Merino Opal White
M-Sport
20" 373 Wheels
Full LED Lighting
Piano Finish Black Trim
Ceramic Controls
M6 Spoiler

Old 04-16-2014, 06:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 750i x Msport, B&O,
WOW I am SOO sad to see this is still an issue in a 2014 car. Welcome to the club. I think my car has screen burn in with the DTM. Keep an eye on it and be careful. I had many of these and was always able to get home or the dealer. I had a post a couple days ago that my car was behaving strange and there was a member with a transfer case issue. Based on what I was feeling I was thinking torque converter or maybe something in the transfer case. At that time the car flashed no errors. Called the dealer and they set an appt for today. Last night I was driving to the dealer and the DTM comes on. Big reduction in power and it almost seemed like something was locking up in the drive train. Things got real bad no power vibrations strange smells (not gas or oil or electrical) I was about 3 miles from the dealer and then check engine one and other lights as well. I was just trying to keep the car in motion and not cause a crash. Rush hour freeway.. I did make it to the dealer and I left the car running. I was hoping the thing would have caught fire.

So BECAREFUL when it acts up!! The car is preprogrammed to go in a limp mode when a event happens. More than likely to reduce the amount of damage to the car. But this can put you in risk because of the car not running well.

I do not want to be that negative guy telling you just bought a crap pile. I have had many cars. All different types. All different makes. I was at point in my life that I wanted to consolidate my fleet. BY FAR!!! This is the nicest car exceeding anything I have owned in driving experience. But in my case I am done and sadly do not know where to go on a replacement. I have been told to stay away from any BMW from 2007 on. This is from a lot of business owners in this field.

I want to wish you the best and I pray the car treats you good!!
Old 04-27-2014, 08:48 AM

Mein Auto: '13 650i X-Drive GC
Angry 2013 650i Gran Coup Powertrain Error

Yesterday, we were celebrating my daughter's 30th birthday and she hadn't really been in the car. We were on an open road with stoplights so I put it in Sport+ and accelerated moderately hard. The car just had its one year service last week. I didn't come close to redlining, but there was a huge cloud of blue smoke out the back and the Powertrain Error warning came up in yellow. The car was jerking and bucking and I got it home and called BMW Assist. They dispatched a tow truck which took about two hours. When I drove the car down the garage to put it on the flatbed, it felt fine, but the error light was still illuminated. However, once it was running for a minute or so, the error disappeared and the car seemed totally normal. After calling the dealer, they said it was my call and the car already has an appointment for service this week.

I'm getting mad as last week, they had to take apart my steering column to fix a clunking noise and vibration. They also had to replace the pan under the driver's seat as it was screaming like a banshee. This week, they have to take out the front passenger seat to replace the rails.

For the price of the car, it seems that the engineering is not up to snuff. Every time I have a problem, I come to Bimmerfest and learn that my issues are fairly common. That seems to say something about BMW.

I'm thinking about getting rid of it sooner rather than later and upgrading to another manufacturer.

Last edited by mkdundon; 04-27-2014 at 12:34 PM.