BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

BMW will recall diesel models to fix emissions glitch

90K views 490 replies 88 participants last post by  floydarogers 
#1 · (Edited)
About 2,740 2011 and 2012 model year X5 xDrive 50i and X6 xDrive 50i vehicles, and 21,600 3-series diesel models, will be recalled, the automaker said. The recalls are scheduled for May 9, with a customer letter to follow, BMW North America spokesman Dirk Arnold said.

BMW said certain emissions components, including the SCR catalyst, the DEF mixer and the EGR valve, may improperly overstate vehicle mileage, causing emissions standards to be exceeded and the illumination of the "Service Engine Soon" light.
Follow link to Automotive News at site: http://topics.dallasnews.com/article/00eF7ro9rc09g?q=California

#47 ·
Recall Letter 11E-A03

I just got the recall notice - dated May 2012. It's Labelled "SCR Catylist, EGR Valve &/or DEF Mixer and ECU Software Flash"

Per the letter - BMW has determined that these parts may not be "robust enough" and after time may result in excessive NOx emissions along with illumination of SES Lamp.
It says that if the repair is not done the vehicle might fail an emission test. And in California it is mandatory.

They'll replace parts - if required. The repair will take one day.

#48 ·
They'll replace parts - if required. The repair will take one day.
Wonder if they will actually have the parts in the States for the replacements. I had a recall early on with my car and when I finally got around to take it in then found out the part had to be shipped in from overseas. What was a one day to replace recall turned into a 2-3 weeks of waiting on the part to then do that.

#53 ·
Got the letter, called my SA and he said he had already ordered the parts for me and set up a car for me to use the day the parts come in... SWEET!!

#56 ·
I hope this does not discourage BMW from selling more diesels in the US. Still hoping for a 535d soon.

Received my recall letter today. Will call a dealer tomorrow, probably Sun Motors as they provide pick up service and a loaner.

#61 ·
I have my car in for its 2nd annual oil change and the Service Advisor called me to say that it was done and that we need to set up another appointment for the recall. Supposedly all parts will be received in a few days and so I am set up for 23 May 12 to have the work done. Lets hope on the parts as it almost seems that dealers are getting sent a kit per car under their maintenance program.
I am in Canada but haven't got the official letter yet.

#63 ·
Got the letter yesterday. Hope there is no "detune" but understand it is needed to met ca emissions in the states that require that, so I don't have a choice.

I've had a cracked egr manifold and bad def tank...growing more concerned about the emissions system.
I say give them an opportunity to sort it out. If it doesn't happen then you can be concerned.:thumbup:

#66 ·
My d is at the end of the BMW warranty.
Today I called my dealer to speak to the SA about the reliability of the d past warranty.
He said bmw's are expensive to repair and would recommend getting extended warranty for peace of mind.

He checked my Vin and said there are two recalls outstanding so I got an appointment for Thursday to get them done.

#67 ·
I do not think your SA really told you anything other than an attempt to sell a warranty that I bet they get a commission out of. A lot of vehicles are expensive to repair but the real question is how often does it need repairs. To give an example my simple truck is far from cheap to repair, for example between a relay and injectors last year I was out something like $4k. Some of the costs I have seen quoted for the 335d repairs I found amazingly lower than I'd imagine such as transmission replacements.

#70 ·
He wasn't trying to sell me the extended warranty which is handled by the business manager.
I dread to find out how much it would cost to replace the def system, or turbo out of warranty.
I have under 200 miles to go and the warranty will be over.
So far I am leaning towards rolling the dice since the f30d is rumored to be here 2013 and I might just trade my d in then when it should have covered 70-80,000 miles.

Still no letter....
Just call your dealer to check your VIN and the recall should show up.
No need for any recall letter.

#71 ·
Turbo failure would be the least of my worries of actually happening. If you bypass the BMW dealership way of fixing things then what in the DEF system is actually expensive to replace? Even better question if an expensive item in the DEF goes out then will you actually try to have it fixed or bypassed? You have to do what ever makes you feel comfortable though. I plan to get the cheaper of the BMW warranty offerings for a piece of mind over a catostrophic failure. I might change my stance since I have 22k miles or so to actually decide.

#73 · (Edited)
Just got the letter yesterday
The car has 12k miles and not a single issue so far, knock on wood
I am wondering if that recall work will screw up the excellent 12k reliability record because the recall has something to do with the strict Nazi Cali emission requirements
Also concerned about any change in power and gas mileage if the software update will pump more fuel into the DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter)

I am 50/50 on doing this recall
Is there an expiration date? Can I do it later if a problem shows up? My point is should I touch something that is working perfect so far?

Anyone who had this recall done? Any changes noticed in the car behavior?

#74 ·
I am 50/50 on doing this recall
Is there an expiration date? Can I do it later if a problem shows up?
For these questions I'd contact BMW via the contact methods listing at the end of the letter.

What I gathered from the letter was that the car might be producing too high of NOX levels and if it is then some of the emissions components will prematurely go bad and cause an SES light eventually. So their solution to this is to replace those parts now and do some programming on the car as well to compensate for the new parts differences.

I think it would be hard to judge impressions after this recall at this point in time. If it in fact has a reflash of the ECU then people will have to deal with that ECU <-> Driver learning period and the car should in fact seem different during that.I'd find someone who gets it around now then ask them of their impressions in a few months.

#75 ·
In for recall

Took my 2011 in today for the routine oil service appointment. They said there was an EGR recall and gave me a 2012 328 loaner. (Nice car.) They called me later to say they did not have the parts in stock and the car will also need computer reprogramming.

My car will be ready Friday and I will report if there is any change to the driving.

(Got recall letter in todays mail. It was delayed by a zip code error.)

#76 ·
My car is still in for oil change after tire flat on way to work. Spoke to dealer about recall. He said bmw has known for a while and i probably wont get a letter since i had my egr valve replaced with the new one in dec 2011 and had the ecu flash then as well. We will see if i get a letter or not. But i havent noticed much difference in car characteristics. Average mpg is consistently 33. Have done slightly better on some tanks when i milked the gas pedal. As my other thread shows, the reflash didnt save me any tire life on the rears so torque doesnt seem to be a problem.

#77 · (Edited)
I just spoke to my dealer and I was told it's a 90 min job. I was surprised because I always thought reprogram took a couple of hours. This sucks because it means a 3-4 hr commute once everything is done.

Sent from my MB525 using Bimmer App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.