BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Lemon, any ideas welcome

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  BMWNA 
#1 ·
2004 525 about 9 months out of warranty 45k miles. Starter remains engaged even after engine starts, only way to make it cut out is take foot off brake. Sometimes it will remain running on 3 or 4 cylinders then pick up the last ones and run ok or it may quit! Dealer did put a new starter to fix it under goodwill warranty but did not fix the problem. Then sometimes when it is running so poorly the Idrive will say "Transmision Fault Drive Moderately" Whatever that means. Been to dealer since then but they said they couldn't duplicate, it was only doing it 90% of the time now 100% of the time. The dealer has fixed the sunroof which kept binding up and wouldn't close under warranty but now it's doing it again. The transmission downshifts hard when going downhill with light brake pressure at about 30mph nearly throws you against the windscreen. I've complained about that since I bought the car 3 years ago. No relief!! Steering wheel buttons rattle, dealer replaced once under warranty but now rattle again! Speedo plexiglass squeeks all the time unless you push on the lower right corner of the speedo. New tires did not fix the squeeks and rattles. Now when rolling up passenger window it will sometimes stop and say anti trap function activated, but nothing in the way. Finally Pass. restraint system malfunction on the Idrive menu and pass airbag off light remains illuminated even with someone in the seat!! Any help on any of these issues would be greatly appreciated. I may just fill the interior with gas and light it off. Don't worry I'll make sure I use premium!!!!

See less See more
#2 ·
Do research on the lemon law in your state, and see how long the statute of limitations is. The lemon law is generally very different on used cars. But I would do the research or call a lemon law attorney just to consult with them.

Best of luck to you.

#3 ·
Not sure of the law in WA, but in CA the lemon law applies to the original owner of a new car, for the first 18 months or 18,000 miles. If during that period you had 4 repair attempts for the same item, or 30 calendar days in the shop, the law kicks in.

There are sites that provide this info for all states--google it. Also read the BMW warranty booklet, which has specific steps you must take to preserve your rights.

FYI--there was a recall on the passenger airbag light issue.

You can also reinitialize the window which may address the anti-trap issue.

Both issues have been discussed in this forum.

#4 ·
Not entirely true. California has a lemon law for pre-owned cars as well, as do many other states.

From california:

"Although the special provisions discussed above apply to new motor vehicles, Song-Beverly has many general rules that apply to any consumer product sold with an express written warranty. As a result, there is important coverage for motorcycles, the living quarters of a mobile home, used vehicles sold with a dealer's express written warranty, "lemon" vehicles repurchased by the manufacturer and sold to consumers with an express written warranty covering the defect, and vehicles sold with a service contract."

#5 ·
Did a little research for Washington. Sorry, but it sounds like you're out of luck.

"You do not have to be the original owner to request arbitration. Later owners of a vehicle may request an arbitration if: the vehicle was purchased within two years of delivery to the original retail consumer and within the first 24,000 miles of operation; the vehicle meets the other eligibility requirements; and the Request For Arbitration is made within 30 months of the original retail delivery date."

Looks like you're outside of the "30 months from original delivery" period.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.