BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

R series bikes?

9K views 23 replies 8 participants last post by  dark rider 
#1 ·
Hey guys, quick question;

Anybody here have personal experience/opinions on the R series BMW bikes?

I'm looking at possibly picking up a 2007 R1200s with 16k miles on it. I know these air cooled boxer motors are BMW's bread n butter motor, I've seen plenty of CL with well over 50k miles :thumbup:

Basically here's my situation:

I've had 3 honda 600cc sportbikes (F2, F4i, 600rr), and I currently have a Victory V92c that I inherited.

I was looking at picking up a Ducati 1098 this fall, but after looking at the insurance costs I quickly decided that'll have to wait a couple years :rofl:

I'm looking for a relatively comfortable, yet sporty bike that I can ride daily for 10-30 miles a pop, reliable, and most important I want it to have character.

This, IMO, is one of the coolest looking bikes i've ever seen.. its goofy, yet kinda mean, and almost subtle at the same time....

See less See more
#2 ·
always thought they were great looking bikes, not too many of them produced and those that have them love them, do it you wont be disappointed. unless you want something to go faster than 140-145ish, then IMHO it isnt your bike, go get a used S1RR

#3 ·
MO - Snap that bad boy up in a heartbeat! If you don't want it, send me a PM with the asking price and contact info. :thumbup:

#4 ·
I've been reading up a bit more on them, looks like I'll be waiting a bit longer and just getting a 1098 down the road. I wanna be able to do track days now and then, and the power/weight ratio of the R1200 isn't nearly as favorable as the Duc, and the suspension of the Duc is obviously geared more towards handling precision vs the BMW's comfort..

#5 ·
Ducs are great (owned a few of them myself) and def more track oriented, but dont just rely on numbers for that R12S, if you can, go ride it before you decide, it is more than the sum of its numbers, just dont ecxpect 150+ speeds out of it and it will be a hoot to ride, a bike not everyone will have and something that will last a lifetime if you want it to.

#6 ·
Well I've been reading up in various forums, and there's a lot of talk regarding the way the bike is set up, not really designed for hard riding.

I'm gonna get a harsh, intolerable, impractical bike now while I'm still young, then pick up a sporty tourer for when my back and legs start to fail me :rofl:

#7 ·
I have a r1200r, same engine as the s.

Knowing my bike I would never envision it to be a good crotch rocket type. The boxer engine is nowhere comparable to any inline 4 or v-twin in terms of power band. Though on specs the torque peaks at 6000 rpm, I feel the torque on my bike plateauing at 5000 rpm.

At practical level, this bike is at it's best cruising at leisurely pace. Because of that the bike kinda grows on me; it is so much fun to ride in the most practical riding conditions.

I would take the ducati if speed is what you look for though. I almost pulled the trigger on a ducati streetfighter 4 months ago; decided not to at my wife's stern warning. Still thinking about it all the time. Someday, perhaps.

#9 ·
ya might go look at an aprilia rsvr factory, one of the best bargain bikes out there these days, light weight wheels,ohlins suspension about 140hp a very nice sport bike for day rides and track days. won the master bike competion for what 3 years in a row prior to the rsv4,s1rr and current crop of bikes being brought to market

This post has been deleted
#12 ·
No way, being Italian is a huge part of the mystique of owning one of those bikes.. I don't believe the VAG is going to change anything about the bikes, other than offering potentially more R&D money.

The quirky maintenance schedules and Italian stubbornness of riding the bike is what makes owning a Duc kind if exciting, it's something untamed and exotic..

#13 · (Edited)
after owning three of them, Ill pass, just not worth it to me for $ spent, did love the 996 I had, SPS cams 54mm full Termi exhaust and a custom dyno tune done by Jeff Nash at AMS, had alot of fun track days on it, but just drivinng by a ducati shop will result in them charging your credit card for a grand. if you want Italian style with honda maintenance go Aprilia.

#14 ·
The rsv4 is the only Aprilia I'd ever want to own, all the others look silly to me, never been a fan of Ape styling :dunno:

As for the Duc maintenance, there are lots of locals around here that wouldn't mind helping out with maintenance for a case of beer and $20 :thumbup:

#15 ·
As for the Duc maintenance, there are lots of locals around here that wouldn't mind helping out with maintenance for a case of beer and $20 :thumbup:
Bah, do it yourself!

BTW, Ducati is expected to be acquired by VAG. You may want to wait a little bit in buying a Ducati to get the German quality!
:tsk:

This Aprilia rs50 was my first bike! Lots of fun :)

Attachments

#17 ·
I would look around for a used RSVR Factory, wonderful bike, they can be had for anywhere from 5k-9k depending on year and condition, and only won the Master Bike competition for what 3 years running, till they stopped making them. as a previous owner of bth ducs and apes, give me the ape hands down everytime.

#21 ·
have owned a 2002 RC51,01 996,03 999 and a 07 RSVR Factory. give me the Ape over them all any day, best overall package out of the bunch and my 996 had SPS cams, 54mm full termi TI exhaust, susp set for my weight and custom tune by AMS, it runs a close second to the Ape in how good they all are to me. def splitting fine hairs though as they are all great bikes.:)

#23 ·
I owned an R1200S for about 2.5 years. I own an S1000 now.

The R12S is a great bike. It is easy to ride very fast, it is more bike than you will be able to use on the track. You can also ride it 500 mile days if you choose to do so, I rode mine Seattle - Las Vegas and back.

They are a little goofy looking, no shortage on character. They didn't make many, they didn't sell many. I think the issue with sales was the price, they were very, very expensive new.

I recommend them!

#24 ·
I think you would find either a K1200R Sport or K1200S to be more appealing than the R1200S, based on your tastes and intended usage. FWIW, I do love the looks of the R1200S, but I just lusted for more power than the boxer can deliver... As a former R1100S and R1150R owner, I made the move to the K1200R Sport back in 2007, when killer deals were available, and it has quite simply been the best bike I've ever owned. 143rwhp (163 at the crank), paralever/duolever suspension (totally unique), standard ergos, partially faired (same front fairing as the R1200S!). It's not a full on race bike, but is more than ample for track days, commuting, light touring with the collapsible bags, and is an awesome everyday backroad burner in the N. Georgia/W. NC/E. Tenn Mountains!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.