BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Service Engine Soon (SES) Light

7K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  QSilver7 
#1 ·
My SES light came on just as I hit the 111,200 mi mark of my 2005 X5. The book states "there is a malfunction in the exhaust-relevant electronic systems." Anyone know what that means and how much it will cost to fix? Also, does anyone in the Western New York area know of a really good outside detailer in the Niagara Falls/Buffalo area? thanks.

#2 · (Edited)
This is simple but not as simple as just spitting out suggestions.

The SES (service engine soon) or CEL (check engine light) or MIL (malfunction indicator lamp) as mentioned in your owners manual...illuminates when one of the "many" sensors in the engine electronic emissions system set's a fault.

The federal government set a mandate that starting in Jan/1996...all vehicles must comply to OBD II standards. This brought an industry standard across all car mfgs in how to maintain air pollution controls etc...and that all vehicles could use the same equipment and have the same codes etc.

So, until you get the codes read...the issue could be from multiple areas...and in most states...you can get the codes read for free from places like Autozone/Pep Boys etc...or you can even pick up a simple OBD II scanner/reader from amazon.com for approx $17-$99 or more. I keep a simple $20 OBD II reader in my glovebox...others spend much more money for scanners that do more...and some go all in and buy software/hardware they use on a laptop that allows them to communicate with the entire communication BUS.

Go get the DTCs (diagnostic trouble codes)...and report back with them....or you can even google them since they are industry wide standards. You'll be surprised how much info you can find online. For instance, if you have a PO 340 DTC...type "BMW OBD II PO340" into a google search box and see the types of results you get. :)

This was the 1st result at the top of the google search for the above: http://engine-codes.com/p0340_bmw.html

To understand what the DTC digits mean:

These are the things OBD II covers and why we can't just toss out suggestions without knowing what codes have been registered:

#9 ·
...I have a P102 code. How do I find out exactly what that means?
Two codes from Auto Zone : P0313 OEM Brand: OBDII
and P1092 OEM Brand: BMW
The P102 code is missing a digit...perhaps you mean the P1092 code that you later indicated?

And as mentioned in my previous reply above...a simple google search can many times give you a lot of info about a DTC...especially if its one of the more common ones. If the 2nd digit in the DTC is a "1"...then as described in the DTC break-down chart...it is a more specific MFG code.

Examples of what I found by googling:

...You'll be surprised how much info you can find online. For instance, if you have a PO340 DTC...type "BMW OBD II PO340" into a google search box and see the types of results you get. :)

#5 ·
P0102: Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Low Input

What does this mean?
Basically this means that there is a problem with the Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor or circuit. A more technical description would be that the MAF circuit had lower than expected voltage (air flow).

Symptoms
You will likely not notice any serious drivability problems, although there may be symptoms such as a general decrease in power or sluggishness.

Possible causes of OBD code P0102
The MAF may be disconnected, or a wiring connection may be bad The MAF may be dirty or otherwise contaminated (Note: if you use a reusable oiled air filter, be careful not to apply too much oil or that can contaminate the MAF). The MAF sensor may be faulty The vehicle computer may be faulty (very rare)

Possible Solutions
The simplest thing to do is to reset the code and see if it comes back. Then start with the cheapest, easiest repair procedures: Verify that the Mass Air Flow Sensor wiring is connected properly and that there are no broken / frayed wires. Inspect for any air leaks near the MAF sensor. Take the MAF out and clean it using a spray cleaner such as brake cleaner or electrical contact cleaner. Be gentle with the sensor. Check the voltage of the MAF sensor (refer to a repair manual for vehicle specific information) Replace the MAF sensor.

#7 ·
P0313: Misfire Detected with Low Fuel (generic misfire code) Old fuel filter? Fuel pump weak?
P1092: Pre-Catalyst Fuel Trim Too Lean Bank 2. Related to P0313. Once you have low fuel, you will have more air in the A/F mixture.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.