BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Lets talk HID kits! What to know and what to worry about!

2K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  Frey7190 
#1 ·
Hey guys,
Thanks for checkin out my post! As some of you know I am the proud new owner of a 04 330ci with SMG.. So far, ive put about 400miles on it and I love it.

Anyway, now the "brand spankin new" feeling is slowly starting to leave me, its time to mod!
First thing is I drive a lot at night, and my stock halogens aren't going to cut it for me. My previous Audi has stock Bixenons and my beater (nissan pathfinder) has aftermarket HIDs, so this one will need get some.

I did a quick search on this forum and others, and found that there are some troubles with HID kits on our e46's.... especially the facelifted coupes??.... Someone mentioned he needed to buy "adaptors" to get them to fit, another one said they had to cut the housing in order to get the bulb in!

Now I dont mind getting my hands dirty, but I dont wanna mess up my headlights by cutting them, that just sounds way to sketch. So what are my options? I have posted a pic of my headlights below so you can see what im working with. Also, I found this website (link below) that sells the HID kit for our e46's for like $30! True HID with ballast bulbs, and wiring! Has anyone bought and tried these?

Do I need to buy 35w or 55w HIDs? Will my error lights turn on with HIDs? Do I need to run a relay wire to them?

Thanks guys for the help!
James

Link: http://www.ddmtuning.com/index.php?p=product&id=102&parent=85

Pic of headlight:

See less See more
#2 ·
looks like you have projector style halgoens, if so I think you can put a hid kit in its place.

you can do 35w or 55w... 55w is brighter of course. I would recommend 5000k color 55W hid kit, very bright white.

when you switch from halogen to xenon, you need to reporgram the LCM (computer) to accept them. Otherwise you will get bulb out errors and the lights wont work.

Some people have used workarounds such as 'error cancelling ballasts' and the like, but that seems to be hit or miss.

I think this is what you want: http://www.bavtoys.com/prolumen55hidkit.php

#3 ·
Thanks for the info!

So im good in that I have the projector already, so I just need a standard HID kit.. What size bulb do I need for the low beam?? H1? H7? etc...

Personally, I would rather get the computer re-programmed, but how does one go on by doing that?? My Audi had a program called Vag-Com which I could program the cars ECU with, does BMW have something like that in order to program the LCM?

Thanks guys!

#7 ·
Your car takes an H7 bulb.

You can have the computer re-programmed. IMHO it's the "cleaner" option.

Your only problem will be that you will have no "permanent" high beam. When you pull backwards on the stalk, the inner beam will flash, but when you push it forward you are not going to have any high beams because the computer is sending power to an empty pin (which in a factory bixenon car is sending power to the high beam solenoid which your car doesn' have).

#8 ·
"when you switch from halogen to xenon, you need to reporgram the LCM (computer) to accept them. Otherwise you will get bulb out errors and the lights wont work."

Please expand on this, I just ordered a pair of hid lights myself, I was unaware of the need to reprogram the computer. How would I go about doing this?

#9 ·
"when you switch from halogen to xenon, you need to reporgram the LCM (computer) to accept them. Otherwise you will get bulb out errors and the lights wont work."

Please expand on this, I just ordered a pair of hid lights myself, I was unaware of the need to reprogram the computer. How would I go about doing this?
If your car has halogen headlights stock, you need to have the computer programmed to work for xenon.

An independent shop with a GT1 computer can do it for a small fee.

#18 ·
:dunno: Oh boy :dunno: How about because I don't know anything. I bought the car recently, never had hid lights before, one light was out, it cost 75 bucks to replace it (one bulb) at the store and my buddy said he could order me a new pair for 120 so I said okay. I didn't understand until now when I feel like a doofus that xenon and hid are the same thing. That's why I confused yall, because I am confused. My apologies.

#19 ·
Lol, it's okay. You're learning. :)

You should buy like 3 pairs of these bulbs while they're in stock and cheap...

http://www.ddmtuning.com/index.php?p=product&id=264&parent=85

I bought a pair when it was $35. Freaking great buy. Light output is amazing and it's lasting me already for over a year.

I'm going to buy a set of 6000k again, a set for my dads Porsche and maybe a pair of yellow for the hell of it.

#22 ·
yeah, I didn't know it was a halogen car until I already owned it. When I went to the dealer to get it, I saw the projectors and since it was 2pm I never bothered to ask or turn them on.

So now im going to turn them into HIDs and get that downfall fixed. Also im kinda on the brink of buying angel eyes, but stupid eBay sellers have "projector" and "non projector" kits and some that "fit all e46". So I dont know what to order.. Not to mention one of my college buddies has a 645i and he has changed out 2 sets of angel eyes because they burn out, and one time they damaged his headlight because they got too hot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.