BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Considering going from 335i to 135i

3K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  angler 
#1 ·
Note: I'm posting this on the 1 and the 3 series forums to get both perspectives.

I would love some advice on switching from a 335i to a 135i.

I currently drive a Space Gray/Black/Burl E90 335i 6-speed manual, sport, premium, nav, (non-M-sport) with about 55k. I love everything about this car except the colors are a bit blah for my taste these days. Maybe I'm getting old but there have been a few times when I couldn't spot my car in the parking lot! I primarily to commute to and from work about 15 miles each way and have an SUV for family duty.

The 335i is out of warranty now and I recently had to spend $1,100 to replace a water pump and thermostat. I fully expect other repairs to come up sooner or later so I need to get into something with a warranty for at least for a year or two. I'd like to have something of an interim car as I hope to do a late 2014 / early 2015 European delivery.

Over a year ago I took a 2-day driving class at the BMW Performance Driving School in South Carolina where I got to drive both 335i's with Steptronic and 135's with DCT. I actually preferred the 135i for the track events we used it for but wonder about living with it every day.

I have the opportunity to buy a very low mileage Sedona Red/Black/Aluminum 2011 135i with DCT, M-Sport, premium, nav, HK stereo, moonroof, etc. with only has 6k miles on the clock. Don't know anything about the owner and why the car has so few miles and I'm not sure if that should concern me or not. I really love the color of this car.

Feel free to chime in with pros and cons of each car, going from 4 doors to 2, from manual to DCT, differences is of the N54 to the N55 engine, etc. Whatever it is I would really appreciate any advice you can offer. Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
The 2 doors always look better than sedan if you have no kids to haul around, the E82 135i is much fun to drive compare with the F30 335i and you should get the 6MT instead of DCT. Most people don't like the feel of electric steering on F30 but I got a loaner yesterday and to tell you the truth it's pretty close to the hydraulic on 135i steering.
I like the Estoril Blue on F30 Msport plus you can get the HUD and roomier but if you plan to use the car for track then I would stay with E82 135i or wait for the new 2 series M coupe comes with LSD.\

#5 ·
This is all great feedback, thanks! One thing I'm concerned about is that it only has 6,000 on it. Should I be worried this this might be a track-used car?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
I wouldn't worry about that. Mine is a 2012 and has only 4000 kms (2500 mi) on it.

Just be sure to have it checked out mechanically if not at a BMW dealer.

Manual to DCT? Your call, I went the other way recently. The 135i is perfect for the 6MT imo, but that is a personal call.

I think the 135i MSport is one of BMWs best cars today.

#7 ·
335i to 135is

In March 2013 I traded my 335I E-93 with manual sp transmission for a CPO 135Is coupe with manual 6-sp trans. So far, very happy with the 135is. It actually has more usable trunk space than my 335i hardtop convert! This coupe has Dinan Stage One tuning (+60hp) so it a very brisk car! Fuel milage is about same. Take one of these for a test drive--you will be impressed! Handling is very quick-brakes are powerful and acceleration is WOW!

#8 ·
I went from a 2011 e92 335 to a 135 vert. The one is more fun to drive do not regret the decision at all. It did take about a week to get use to the smaller cabin but once I got use to it all fun broke out!:D. Go for it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.