BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Winter

12K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  a9094 
#1 ·
Hello, I am considering a BMW as a next car, but I am worried about the winter performance. My choice was a E38 740i 1995 v8 with traction control. Can someone tell me, how is it to drive a bimmer of this size with rwd in tough winters, painful or totally ok? traction control helps?how are bimmers on snow in general?

#2 ·
havent driven mine in snow yet. but wet pavement, sand, gravel, or mud is not difficult to drive on with traction control on. i dont know if they improved it from 95 to 01, but it works the same basically. i was told to stray away from the particular year your mentioned, so anything with the older 4.0 V8 as opposed to the more reliable 4.4 V8. 4.0 supposedly had a lot of known engine problems. i'm sure some of the other people can speak on behalf of the problems. so late model 96 models and up would be better to look for.

#3 ·
It's all about the tires..if you keep stock 18's on, (or aftermarket 19's on) you may slide into a wall--ask me how i know.... If you put snow tires on, you'll be fine ...the car weighs almost 4k pounds, so that's a plus when you're trying to get out of light snow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.