BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

USB music

3K views 16 replies 3 participants last post by  riku2 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi there, newbie here. I just went from a 2003 Hyundai Coupe to a 520d. 2010/2011 model.

It has a usb in the glove compartment.

Also it has satnav.

But what I want is the ability to wire a pen drive to it so it can work. At the minute , I'm having to use the aux input in my arm rest. No usb is present in the arm rest unfortunately.

Can anyone help. :cry:

Also I've heard that the glove box can be used to transfer music onto the hard drive of the BMW. I've tried this but all I can seem to be able to use it for is to export and import profiles :( :(

Are their any mods?

I also have bluetooth, but no a2dp at all......... :bawling::bawling::bawling:

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Also I've heard that the glove box can be used to transfer music onto the hard drive of the BMW. I've tried this but all I can seem to be able to use it for is to export and import profiles :( :(
Do you have navigation? is it the wide screen or narrower business nav? only widescreen professional navigation has the space on the hard disk for music. This professional version is standard in the USA so most people there are unaware that not all cars have the space on the hard disk for music because there are actually two kinds of BMW F10 navigation system.

You can try to see if you can retrofit the USB socket in the centre console. Search for 6FL USB retrofit. This will not copy it to the hard disk (you play it direct from the USB stick) but there is only 20G room on the hard disk anyway and I already have 30G of music on my USB stick in the centre console.

#5 ·
6FL isn't an entertainment system it's a way to connect USB to the entertainment system. A cable and some control units.
What you need to do is check that parts make up option 6FL: http://www.etk*****bmw/EN/search/optionAppliance/52150/S6FLA
Then check if you already have some of them (eg Combox is needed for 6FL but if you have bluetooth then you already have it).
The site is really good in that it gives some guideline as to the price. Use the VIN checker with your car's VIN to confirm which options you already have, this makes checking the parts easier.

Buy the parts you are missing and then work out how to connect them.

Probably the hardest part is taking the trim apart to run the cables. For the tiniest thing you end up taking off part B and to remove part B you have to take off part C and before you know it half the interior is in pieces and you have broken a couple of clips in the process.. all to run one cable to the centre console.

#6 ·
6FL isn't an entertainment system it's a way to connect USB to the entertainment system. A cable and some control units.
What you need to do is check that parts make up option 6FL: http://www.etk*****bmw/EN/search/optionAppliance/52150/S6FLA
Then check if you already have some of them (eg Combox is needed for 6FL but if you have bluetooth then you already have it).
The site is really good in that it gives some guideline as to the price. Use the VIN checker with your car's VIN to confirm which options you already have, this makes checking the parts easier.

Buy the parts you are missing and then work out how to connect them.

Probably the hardest part is taking the trim apart to run the cables. For the tiniest thing you end up taking off part B and to remove part B you have to take off part C and before you know it half the interior is in pieces and you have broken a couple of clips in the process.. all to run one cable to the centre console.

#7 · (Edited)

Buy the parts you are missing and then work out how to connect them. Often the cables are not listed and you must work out the cabling yourself. It looks like the USB uses the four pin round connector known as HSD line http://www.etk*****bmw/EN/search/selectCar/F10/Lim/BMW+525d+N57/ECE/61/61_2797/
This cable is not listed in the parts of 6FL. Normally the wiring harness is not listed as an option part (it's assumed you are replacing parts on a car which has the same option, so no need for a new cable).

You'll probably have to do some coding to enable the option as well, otherwise the head unit won't know the USB is connected even once cable and socket are in place.

[for some reason bimmerfest doesn't show the links correctly. the website is etk . cc / bmw]

#8 ·
I am not really experienced with Car mods. What about the feature to save music from CD to hard drive. Is that possible with the system that I have in place at all?
OR is the a non-hardware way of enabling extra features on my system through software and other things??

#9 ·
No, it seems that navigation business does not allow it (although I thought both professional and business navigation both have a hard disk, so it's a marketing decision by bmw).

I have not heard of anybody being able to use the glovebox usb to play music without first copying to professional navigation hard disk. it's a strange decision by bmw though. glovebox usb is already connected to the car electronics and it would be nice to play from there and charge your phone in the centre console usb but they don't allow that.

#10 ·
No, it seems that navigation business does not allow it (although I thought both professional and business navigation both have a hard disk, so it's a marketing decision by bmw).

I have not heard of anybody being able to use the glovebox usb to play music without first copying to professional navigation hard disk. it's a strange decision by bmw though. glovebox usb is already connected to the car electronics and it would be nice to play from there and charge your phone in the centre console usb but they don't allow that.
Guess I will just have to live with it.
One last thing. Do the optical drives come as DVD player standard. I.e will it only read Cd discs or will it read DVD too. I tried a DVD audio cd yesterday but it failed to read?
is there anything I'm missing?

#15 ·
The icon next to 345 looks like the hard disk icon. When you play from USB the icon next to the track count is different (the usb symbol).

USB1 on your screen is the name the hard disk has assigned when it imported the music from the usb stick to the hard disk. When you import from another usb stick there will be a second row with another name.

if you pull out the usb stick does the music still play?

Attachments

#16 · (Edited)
The icon next to 345 looks like the hard disk icon. When you play from USB the icon next to the track count is different (the usb symbol).

USB1 on your screen is the name the hard disk has assigned when it imported the music from the usb stick to the hard disk. When you import from another usb stick there will be a second row with another name.

if you pull out the usb stick does the music still play?
I'm really embarrassed here you are so right. I thought it was playing from the flash drive. It was not! My mistake, sorry about confusion. I really don't remember importing the music from the flash drive. I guess I was wrong. When it imports the music it used a default name for the folder as USB1, that's what confused me.

Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.