BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

New Member Guide - Posting, avatars, etc.

556K views 662 replies 535 participants last post by  umeerr78 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hello and welcome to Bimmerfest
As a new member to Bimmerfest the forum can seem overwhelming at first. Take a few moments to review our easy guide to use the forum and you will be navigating around and posting in no time. Make sure you post an introduction thread as a good way to test your posting abilities.

How to use Bimmerfest
  • Find your BMW model forum
  • How to search for information
  • How to post a question
  • Uploading images and creating polls
  • How to add a signature and avatar to your account
  • Other forum sections

Find your BMW model forum

The site is categorized by the car series (2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Series, X models, etc.) and specific model and model years are under that.

forum user guide

If you BMW starts with a number, that is the series you have. 335i = 3 seires. 550i = 5 Series. If you have a model that starts with an X then head to our X model forum listing. Simply scroll down the forum section looking for your series, then locate the forum that encompasses your BMW year.

forum user guide

How to search for information

Use the search function of the forum to help you find a certain topic that you are looking for without having to post a new question. Bimmerfest.com has a wealth of knowledge ready for you to discover. For example, you want to do a muffler delete on your 3 series and you have a question as to how loud it would be. Instead of posting a new topic you can search instead to see if that topic was previously discussed.

In the upper right hand corner you will see the search bar, click on it and type muffler delete.

forum user guide

Next, you will see the search results for muffler delete in that section.

forum user guide

Click on the topics and browse through them. You can see that the first result was about the muffler delete and how it will sound, exactly what you were looking for.

forum user guide

forum user guide

Not only can you search individual sections to find what you need, you can search the entire forum and use the same process. This helps out everyone on both ends.

forum user guide

How to post a question

If you are unable to find a topic that relates to your problem by searching or if you just want to start a new topic anywhere on the forum click on the "New Thread" button on the upper left hand corner and put a subject and write what you want. When you are done click on "Submit New Thread" or "Preview Post" to check if everything is showing the way you want.

forum user guide

forum user guide

Uploading images and creating polls

If you have an image that you want to show you can either upload it to imageshack, photobucket or another hosting site and you can use the image that has the href at the beginning or the code that has forum user guide

Adding a signature or avatar to your account
Signatures and avatars are text, graphics, or pictures you can add to your user account to differentiate it. The avatar and/or signature shows up next to messages you post on Bimmerfest.com. Think of them like a facebook profile picture (avatar) and email signature (forum signature).

This is a signature - It has both an image and text in it.
Bimmerfest signature

Signatures can contain both text and images. The image can be larger than an avatar but should not be too large or they distract from the content and take up too much screen space. Keep your signature picture less than 250 pixels tall. Signatures can be created through the User CP (User Control Panel) link at the top left or thought this direct link.

This is an avatar - It is only an image or graphic
Bimmerfest add avatar

Avatars are images only and can be no larger than 120 pixels wide by 90 pixels tall. To have an avatar requires 100 posts or becoming a supporting member of Bimmerfest. You can set your avatar, once enabled, through the User CP (User Control Panel) link at the top left or through this direct link.

Other forum sections

Other than the BMW model section, Bimmerfest has many other sections that have their own purpose.

- After the model section you have "Bimmerfest Regional" section. Here, major areas are categorized and members from those areas post there topics related only to that area. If you live in New York and you want to post a meet coming up, go to the NY/NJ/CT section and start a new topic there.

forum user guide

- Next is "The Best of Bimmerfest" section. Here you can find guides on how to do it yourself in regards to fixing your car, you can ask a dealer any question that you want in regards to a new purchase that you may have, the European delivery section is great for those that want to buy a new bimmer from Germany and plan to go there to do it and much more sections.

forum user guide

- The "Bimmerfest 20XX" section is all about the biggest BMW in history which is held every year in California. At the top of the section there will be the next or current Bimmerfest and under that will be previous events. You will find pictures and videos of all events

forum user guide

- Finally is "Everything Else" section. This includes general auto, off-topic where pretty much everyone lets it all out, the for sale section and others.

forum user guide

Thank you for taking the time to read this. I hope that it helped you to find what you were looking for and how to navigate the site correctly and fully." target="_blank" >forum user guide

Adding a signature or avatar to your account
Signatures and avatars are text, graphics, or pictures you can add to your user account to differentiate it. The avatar and/or signature shows up next to messages you post on Bimmerfest.com. Think of them like a facebook profile picture (avatar) and email signature (forum signature).

This is a signature - It has both an image and text in it.
Bimmerfest signature

Signatures can contain both text and images. The image can be larger than an avatar but should not be too large or they distract from the content and take up too much screen space. Keep your signature picture less than 250 pixels tall. Signatures can be created through the User CP (User Control Panel) link at the top left or thought this direct link.

This is an avatar - It is only an image or graphic
Bimmerfest add avatar

Avatars are images only and can be no larger than 120 pixels wide by 90 pixels tall. To have an avatar requires 100 posts or becoming a supporting member of Bimmerfest. You can set your avatar, once enabled, through the User CP (User Control Panel) link at the top left or through this direct link.

Other forum sections

Other than the BMW model section, Bimmerfest has many other sections that have their own purpose.

- After the model section you have "Bimmerfest Regional" section. Here, major areas are categorized and members from those areas post there topics related only to that area. If you live in New York and you want to post a meet coming up, go to the NY/NJ/CT section and start a new topic there.

forum user guide

- Next is "The Best of Bimmerfest" section. Here you can find guides on how to do it yourself in regards to fixing your car, you can ask a dealer any question that you want in regards to a new purchase that you may have, the European delivery section is great for those that want to buy a new bimmer from Germany and plan to go there to do it and much more sections.

forum user guide

- The "Bimmerfest 20XX" section is all about the biggest BMW in history which is held every year in California. At the top of the section there will be the next or current Bimmerfest and under that will be previous events. You will find pictures and videos of all events

forum user guide

- Finally is "Everything Else" section. This includes general auto, off-topic where pretty much everyone lets it all out, the for sale section and others.

forum user guide

Thank you for taking the time to read this. I hope that it helped you to find what you were looking for and how to navigate the site correctly and fully." width="645" alt="forum user guide" />

See less See more
#75 ·
My 520i 1982

Hi All,

It's been almost 6 months since I enjoyed driving my BMW 520i E28 1982. It was in a bad shape but now it is almost new. However, I have a bit of a problem in getting all the spare parts that I need as I am living in Ethiopia and there are very few 520i parts. Anyone who knows anything about 520i E28 1982, I would love to correspond with to enjoy my BMW.

#76 ·
newbie to the forum

Great to join the group. First question - where can I access the 100K maint checklist for 2001 X5 ? RPM Automotive Repair has quoted me ~$900 to complete this check. They explained that the only components this service indicates to replace are (2) O2 sensors and 6 spark plugs (3.0 model).

Thanks

#77 ·

New here like to say hello to all. Not new to Bimmers, From my early 30's now late 40's I had acquired a few : 1983 320is, 1987 325e, 1990 E30 Convertible, 1987 635 csi L7, just sold my 1989 E30 Convertible and I presently drive a 1980 BMW 318 Baur that being restored as I use it daily. Recent work, Complete paint job and minor bodywork, all rust areas was taken care of, original rims are being chromed out (not yet installed), new top (I've been waiting for over 30 days now, but soon it will be install) the interior is all original and near perfect condition ( not recaro's seat but I love sitting on those sofa chairs on long hauls LOL) Thanks for looking, Bob:thumbup:

Attachments

#83 ·
George

Just to get started. After watching and learning how exciting it is to own a BMW from my son I finally went out and found a low mileage E46 built in 2002. It is driven around town and through the Piedmont area of NC. It had been 30 plus years since I driven a stick shift, it seems to be coming back.

I have signed up for the Tarheel & Toe driving school at VIR in October where I hope to start learning how to handle the M3.

There are a few issues which I would like to learn about: What tire pressure are other E46 owners using and why? The inside cloth trim just inside the drivers side door fell away from cockpit last Sunday in the heat. Can it be reattached successfully with out replacing the entire door seal? What materials have been used that are still holding up.
thanks for your in-put
George

#85 ·
Hello

Thankyou for your welcome and look forward to getting to know the site,
I am the owner of a 1984 e30 323i, which is a great car to get around in. I have been touring Australia quite extensively, sometimes 5000 kms in less than a week.
Also owned a 2003 1150 rs rockster, impressive tourer.
Always on the look out for how to keep it purring along. German engineering is second to none!
Cheers Ali

Attachments

#86 ·
Thankyou for your welcome and look forward to getting to know the site,
I am the owner of a 1984 e30 323i, which is a great car to get around in. I have been touring Australia quite extensively, sometimes 5000 kms in less than a week.
Also owned a 2003 1150 rs rockster, impressive tourer.
Always on the look out for how to keep it purring along. German engineering is second to none!
Cheers Ali
Welcome! :)

Have fun on the E30 forum!

#88 ·
Top Problem

Hi, I have a 2003 Z4. I'm new to the forum and really have not used forums much, so I hope I don't make too many mistakes. We travel 6 months every year and we just returned. We had a friend baby sit our Z4 and when we got back the top will not operate automatically. The release to put it in the manual mode was pulled out, but we can't get it back in. the handle goes in but the cable doesn't. The motor works and the latches work when we get the top up or down but we have to move it manually. Anyhow I hope we get some help.

#90 ·
New car coming

Hi, Richard from Eastern MA (North Shore).

Anxiously awaiting recently ordered E92 328ix - black sapphire / oyster black. Haven't owned a sports car since the 70s - had 2 Sunbeam Tigers - plenty fast but didn't handle well without lots of suspension mods. Looking forward to enjoying the new car and reading the forums!

#93 ·
Having one BMW has always been my dream. It seems im finally gonna make it :angel:

#94 ·
Suggest me what should be the best possible way to own a BMW

#96 ·
Newbie to 2001 M3 Convertible

A quick HELLO! and introduction to all on the Bimmerfest forum. Happy to join tfellow BMW enthusiasts

My name is Kevin Shepherdson. I am from Perth, Western Australia and currently reside in Omaha, Nebraska. I look forward to reading and contributing to the the respective forums.

I am hoping to to purchase an 2001 Imola red M3 convertible equipped from the factory with the Cold Weather Package, Harman Kardon audio, Xenon headlamps, and CD player, full power seats, leather upholstery, and 4-way lumbar adjustments

It has been further upgraded aftermarket with the optional forged 19-inch wheels as well as high-end Bavarian Soundwerks speakers, amp and subwoofer with an iPod connection. The grey interior trim has been painted piano black.

I have included a couple of photos.

This is my first foray into the world of the M3. I had owned a 96 318i years ago and loved the handling.

I will post the details on the forum for the required help and advice on what to look for when test driving it before I make an offer.

Cheers,
Kevin

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.