BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

328Xi Sportwagon Hitch

4K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  invisihitch 
#1 ·
I have a 328 Xi Sportwagon and I have had no luck in finding a trailer hitch. I don't want to tow anything, I just want to be able to carry 2 bikes around without having to take them on and off every time I go into my garage. I am also a little concerned about constantly taking them on and off without scratching or damaging the car.

I have contacted my local dealer and no luck there. I have also contacted BMW of North America and I am waiting for a response.

The undercarriage of the car does not look like it has any place to mount any type of hitch.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

#6 ·
I am always reluctant to forecast a completion date on new-development projects because, by the nature of the work, the number of iterations required for the development of a new product is somewhat unpredictable. But my guess is that we are looking at releasing this product in more than one week but less than one month.

As for mounting points, a proper BMW hitch mounts to the chassis studs (and only to the chassis studs). This preserves the function of the crumple zones in the event of a rear-end collision. A frame-mounted hitch bypasses this critical safety function and instead transfers collision forces down the frame into the passenger compartment. Which ever hitch you decide on, please do not go that route.

Daryl
daryl@invisihitch.com

#7 ·
I have a 328 Xi Sportwagon and I have had no luck in finding a trailer hitch. I don't want to tow anything, I just want to be able to carry 2 bikes around without having to take them on and off every time I go into my garage. I am also a little concerned about constantly taking them on and off without scratching or damaging the car.

I have contacted my local dealer and no luck there. I have also contacted BMW of North America and I am waiting for a response.

The undercarriage of the car does not look like it has any place to mount any type of hitch.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
My dealer told me that the 3 series is not recommended for towing. And i was just inquiry about towing our little 14' outboard boat.

#9 ·
My dealer told me that the 3 series is not recommended for towing.
Many dealers in North America are completely unaware that the 3 Series is tow rated by Germany -- and given a fairly stout tow rating. Dealers here in the U.S. can be very surprised to learn that BMW offers a hitch as an option on the 3 Series in most other parts of the world.

In all fairness, the dealers here get their information from BMWNA and BMWNA does not offer a hitch for the 3 Series (unlike just about all the other BMW companies on other continents). So technically I guess it is accurate to say that BMWNA does not recommend towing with the 3 Series. But Germany certainly does.

#8 ·
Thanks

Daryl,

Thanks for responding. I have been waiting for hitch type bike rack since the fall of 2011 when I picked up my 2012. It has been almost 20 months. I ordered a roof rack and the appropriate mounts for 2 bikes today from my dealership. Not the best option in my opinion but my patience has run out on this. I still will be looking for the hitch if it ever comes out in case I really hate the roof rack system.

Thanks for your input!!

#10 ·
I lived in Germany from 91 to 95 while serving in the U.S. Army. They of course make BMWs and have so many different options for engines, interiors, etc that it would make an American consumers head spin. I purchased a 1992 525 and a 1993 318 convertible, what great cars. I saw BMWs like the 3 series pulling what they called caravans (camper trailers) with cars that the old 1.8 liter engine. I also saw Opal cars with 1.0 liter engines doing the same thing.

#12 ·
Did you guys see the no hitch BMW bike rack that attaches to the bumper frame through two removable tabs? I saw one on an X5 and was hoping my F31 would support that rack but it appears the answer is no. I only have a place for a tow hook in the right side.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#16 ·
I just looked under my car and it is not the same as yours. My 328Xi sportwagon is a 2012 so I am guessing that BMW must have redesigned from 2011 to 2012. I have the large bold further up the chassis, but no mounting points near the bumper. This resign is probably why BMW and the aftermarket guys haven't been able to come up with a hitch.

Thanks!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.