BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Why I don't get a motorcycle.

15K views 59 replies 29 participants last post by  Snowy Mtns Mick 
#1 ·
#2 ·
It was presented to senior management at NASA, JSC. The driver in the VW (?) was texting and pull in front of the cycle. You cannot use handheld cell phone at JSC. :yikes:

#9 · (Edited)
This was the messge when the charts were presented to senior staff at Johnson Space Center. Different twist to the story...

Motorcycle rider was traveling approximately*85 mph. The VW driver was talking on a cell phone when they pulled out from a side street, apparently not seeing the motorcycle. The rider***8217;s reaction time was not sufficient enough to avoid this accident.

The car had two passengers and the bike rider was found INSIDE the car with them. The Volkswagen actually flipped over from the force of impact and landed 20 feet from where the collision took place.

All three involved (two in the car and the bike rider) were killed instantly.

Stop talking on Cell phones*or*Texting while trying to drive!

Attachments

#13 ·
My mom and I rode about 200 miles yesterday.
Yep, she is 60+ and averages 18K+ per year. :thumbup:

#20 ·
can i borrow the 250 when she's done? i needs to learn too. everyone around me rides except, well, me. :( someone told me to get a 600/650 right off the bat to learn on. yeah... right.
If you're Asian I'd stick with the Ninja 250 for starters.

It's not very heavy so when you dump it you'll be able to pick it up no problem.

Also, they're lower so you won't be on your toes at the lights.

The 600 sportbike is way too much bike unless you plan on hitting the gym regularly and upping your protein intake.

Also, avoid red bikes, they're way too fast.

Hope that helps...:)

#29 ·
If you're Asian I'd stick with the Ninja 250 for starters.

It's not very heavy so when you dump it you'll be able to pick it up no problem.

Also, they're lower so you won't be on your toes at the lights.

The 600 sportbike is way too much bike unless you plan on hitting the gym regularly and upping your protein intake.

Also, avoid red bikes, they're way too fast.

Hope that helps...:)
thanks for the advice! having gout attacks every so often, i guess it would suck to be on the toes at the light (OUCH!) or to pick up a heavy bike after ditching the b*tch. Double-S, you touched my heart like you touch other member's member here. Much thanks! :kisses:

:rofl:

#32 ·
I also started on a Ninja 250... damned nice bike for a starter... light, easy and fun to ride. Also damned hard to get yourself a speeding ticket on unless you were going downhill ;)

A 600 MAY be a decent bike to start, if you get the right one. It all comes down to gearing. However, most 600's are geared to be crotch rockets. Then again I had a 750 (Honda Nighthawk) that I rode around for ages that would've been a fabulous starter bike, too. It didn't have much welly down low, but you could keep up with traffic on the highway.

If I were learning to ride today, I'd probably get a Kawasaki ER-6N (http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/Product-Specifications.aspx?scid=6&id=430) or Kawasaki Versys (http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/Product-Specifications.aspx?scid=6&id=433)... not that I have a love for Kawasaki necessarily (though I do ride a Concours 14) but those are both damned nice bikes for not a huge outlay of cash. They'd both make decent starter bikes, but have enough oomph to stay up with traffic.

Oh... and need I say MSF course is a necessity? :)

#34 ·
i like street fighters like Triple Speed or the Monster type. any suggestions on one of those starters? the Monster is not it; too expensive and while it does look nice, the Ducati name just doesn't strike me well.

#35 ·
The Speed Triple is a damned nice bike... but I would never recommend starting to ride on one of those! Good god, man! :) Seriously, that's a lot of bike for me, and I've been riding for years!

Again, take a look at the ER-6n for a street-fighter style bike... another good option (though used) would be the Honda 599... a classic street-fighter style 600cc bike that's a great starter option... or its big brother the 919. The latter is heavier and more powerful, but having ridden one I don't think it's too bad as a beginner bike so long as you have reasonable self-control :)

#38 ·
chivas i would recomend a ninja500, it's a great starter bike, a little more power than the 250, and a little less that the 600. i liked the advice the guy at the dealer told me when i was lookin. see that zx650? yes. well if it's not as forgiving as this 500, if you accidently give too much throtlle, your on your ass, with this 500, the only your going to pop a wheelie is to stand on the back. i was sold. i love the 500, but i do like the nicer zx bikes, epecially the 10 and the 14. but i have realize that the only difference in these bikes other than handleing is that top speed and and how fast you can get there. and ridding at 55 mph at first seems like warp speed.
here are a few other things also to consider about ridin in the city, really cagers(cars) don't see you. so you learn where the horn is real fast, and really you become so more aware of everything around you. the mos pita thing is stupid cars ridin your back tire, and the most irratating thing, there on your back tire at stop lights. wtf.
that's another thing, you will be more aware at stop sign, or lights, because those crazy nuts look like they are not going to stop. i'm surprised that i haven't wore out my tail light yet.

#40 ·
that's the part where you learn where the horn is. and yes i've had to do that quite a few times. i've even one day had to turn around behind me while riding, and throw a fit with the minivan behind me. i was like stuck behind a car, double lanes, and a car in front of him, and you know you need your space to stop or dive around, or sumthin, if they stop for some reason, and i keept hitting the brake lights to get them to back off, enough was enough. they did back off after that, i though wow what power, considering they were on 4 wheels and out weighed me.

#41 ·
Sometimes even the horn doesnt' work, I was forced into the tiny shoulder to the left of the fast lane next to the cement barrier on Palisades Parkway in NY state... Kept on the horn and the driver didn't realize it for almost a whole minute... felt like a day... car behind and infront of the DB that pinned me there too so I had no where to go. People just don't watch. NJ has tried to do a few things to make drivers more aware, they printed a photo of a bike on the back of all vehicle inspection stickers that says watch out for motorcycles, not a bad idea.. is it working? Probably not. It's a risk we all take, and have to ride with the understanding that these idiots could take us out anytime.

#42 ·
that's so true. people just don't pay close enough attention to bikes. it's the risk to ride, but when you find the right conditions, it's worth it.
i don't know how many days at work, it was a beautifull day, just right, and everytime i'd walk by my bike, she was like beggin to be ridden. she's trouble. then i get sad, and then at 5, i find the longest route home. i've told my wife plenty of times. that ridding a bike, gives a certain freedom that's really hard to describe.

#43 ·
Very true, it's an addiction and you can't explain it to someone who doesn't ride. I was rear ended on a friend's CBR at around 25 mph while sitting still.. the Medics told me I was crazy to ride again... I was on my bike the next day in pain, well i'm stubborn as well.. haha. The pleasure is well worth the risks involved.

#48 ·
The problem with 600cc and plus sport bikes is that you won't ride slow. The thing is designed in such a way that makes you feel like 40mph when you are really going 60mph. It takes will power to control the urge that comes from your right hand when you are on the bike.

#50 ·
That was a sad story and a reminder to watch the speed approaching junctions.

I ride a motorcycle almost every day and try to expect a car or truck to turn in front at any moment. I also drive a car and hope I never turn in front of a bike myself.

Riding is more dangerous but I'd rather be riding my bike than driving the car (although many of you here would think thats because I drive a MB C240!). :p

We are about to trade in the C240 for a 328i Convertible. Which will I want to take out then - the car or the bike?

#52 ·
That was a sad story and a reminder to watch the speed approaching junctions.

I ride a motorcycle almost every day and try to expect a car or truck to turn in front at any moment. I also drive a car and hope I never turn in front of a bike myself.

Riding is more dangerous but I'd rather be riding my bike than driving the car (although many of you here would think thats because I drive a MB C240!). :p

We are about to trade in the C240 for a 328i Convertible. Which will I want to take out then - the car or the bike?
I used to ride my bike over the M5...

#51 ·
WOW! That's a pretty tragic sight. I started riding 10yrs ago, and no matter how many times you see something like that, it doesn't get any less sobering.

To all of my riders: "Be smart, be careful, pay attention, and think quickly."

To all of my drivers: "Be smart, be careful, pay attention, and think quickly."

BTW, that looked like a Honda RC45 in the pic... That's a pretty rare machine these days!

#57 ·
I came to this forum to generate interest in a bike. This was the first thread I read and my previous thoughts are confirmed. A dangerous proposition.

#60 ·
The trouble is, at those speeds, by the time you see something, its too late to stop. I like to give the Beemer a squirt every now and then, but I wait until I can see for a couple os ks, preferably at the top of a roise where the road is good and there are no farm houses close to the road. 180ks is a bit enought buzz for me and then only under ideal circumstances.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.