BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Replacing Dashboard

15K views 13 replies 13 participants last post by  romeomike 
#1 ·
I need to replace my cracked dashboard from my 1990 325i. My plan is to obtain a clean dash from a junked car and go through the process replacing. Has anyone done this? I was wondering how difficult this process is, what kinds of tools I need and how much time a non mechanic like me will need to finish. Any comments would be appreciated.

#14 · (Edited)
For what it's worth, the pictures don't display in "native" Firefox. However, they do show in Internet Explorer, or using a Firefox extension called IE Tab.

I did the dash replacement awhile back (http://www.nvo.com/themaus/dashreplacement/). Took some photos of the horror. I spent the good part of a labor day weekend working on it. Taking everything apart was easy, putting everything back together just right is a major PIA that takes time and patience and some muscle. Here's some tips:

1. Do it when the temperature is above 65-degrees F. This will let you bend and flex the pieces into place without worrying about new cracks.
2. Tape and label all the wires. If you have a digital camera, take pictures of everything as you disassemble. That way you can have a reference in case you forget about where something goes while you're putting everything back in.
3. While you have everything out, replace all the little indicator bulbs in your gauge cluster and OBC. Replacements can be bought at Bavarian Autosport.

Good Luck!
I had a question about a recommended temperature setting for this job, and you answered it. Thanks.

#4 ·
Boy that tutorial (with pictures) on removing the dash is really a nice bit of information to have. Question: Do you have a similar tutorial on how to replace the carpet? It looks to me like the dash has to come out to do the carpet, plus a bunch more stuff. At least it looks to me like a bunch more stuff has to come out if you don't want to cut the carpet out. The part of the carpet that is at the front of the trans tunnel is "trapped" by a bunch of stuff (heater box?) on top of it. I have a new carpet coming (from the dealer) and I would like to install it without cutting it if not too big a project. However, everyone that I have talked to on this subject says "cut it". -Dave 1987 325ic "one owner -me"

#7 ·
carpet

oi replaced the carpet in my 86 325e and all i had to remove was the center console.
taking the original out isnt a great idea unless u got alot of time and money cause the padding under the carpet is a good 4 inchest thick and has alot dif shape, i looked for replacement padding but couldent find any. if u get relly lucky u might find some good padding in a junk yard but when i went every 325 had the sunroof removed and wet interior from rain.

#9 ·
I did the dash replacement awhile back (http://www.nvo.com/themaus/dashreplacement/). Took some photos of the horror. I spent the good part of a labor day weekend working on it. Taking everything apart was easy, putting everything back together just right is a major PIA that takes time and patience and some muscle. Here's some tips:

1. Do it when the temperature is above 65-degrees F. This will let you bend and flex the pieces into place without worrying about new cracks.
2. Tape and label all the wires. If you have a digital camera, take pictures of everything as you disassemble. That way you can have a reference in case you forget about where something goes while you're putting everything back in.
3. While you have everything out, replace all the little indicator bulbs in your gauge cluster and OBC. Replacements can be bought at Bavarian Autosport.

Good Luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.