BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

transmission swap from auto to 6 speed

3K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  E36 Phantom 
#1 ·
iv been searching for hours and I cant find anything for what im looking for I want to do a tranny swap on my 93 e36 318is 4 speed auto to a standard 6 speed from a 97 e36 not sure what the model is ill have to do some more research but I think its an m3 something or another same body style as the 318 so im convinced its an e36 but its a 97 with the 6 speed tranny if I don't figure it out I want the e36 6 speed from a 97 or anything else with them but anyways my question is would the 6 speed mount right onto the 1.8 4 cylinder or would the drive shaft for the tranny have to remade to fit the 4 cylinder as its an automatic atm

#4 ·
Since you are running an autotragic transmission, you will need a flywheel, pilot bearing, friction disk, pressure plate, drive shaft (if you can get it with the transmission), differential, new flywheel bolts (they are one time use), flex disk or Guibo, shifter assembly (usually comes with the manual transmission), clutch pedal assembly, master cylinder for the clutch, and perhaps a re-tune of the ECU since you will need to get rid of the autotragic transmission ECU.

And that is the just the beginning... ;)

For your 318i, I would highly recommend one of these kits: http://www.specclutch.com/cars/BMW/318/1993/Single

From what I researched about Spec Clutch products, by far one of the best out there. The Audi guys are gaga over these clutch systems and they really handle the abuse. Best of all, they are all made in the USA (Alabama). All their clutch kits are also pre-balanced to their respective friction disks and pressure plates. So that takes that part out of the equation and lessens the engine and gear chatter. If I had known about these guys sooner, I would have bought their kit for my S50 engine maintenance project. But I do know that their kit will be going on my M50B25 engine out of the MTech.

#5 · (Edited)
Harry, this is the same guy who wants to bore out his 318 to "get more RPMs" so he can "top out at a higher speed" on his 318 that was just pulled from a farm (after sitting for two years) and is running on mismatched wheels & tires and probably needs every single wear item to be replaced on it. He claims to have found his "exact car" in Forza Motorsport 4 and learned that he can beat stock Vipers with his 318 with "a couple aftermarket mods and turbo".... Now he wants to install a 6-speed trans from a '97.

PS: No E36 BMWs came with 6-speeds in North America, ever.
PPS: Forza Motorsport 4 only has one E36 BMW, and it's the M3.

You can't make this stuff up: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=710477&highlight=

#9 ·
It's Giubo.

#11 ·
Done. Sorry, Jon. You've been bumped!

#12 ·
It's ok Jon, when one door closes, another one opens. Welcome to my sig, you'll like it here better, anyway. :D

C:\>Sent from my 386 using MS-DOS__

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.