BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Oil change now engine is high pitched?

1K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  emrocha4 
#1 ·
I recently got an oil change by a shop, something I never do but it was really cheap, I usually put full synthetic in but they did a mixture, now my engine has a high pitched tune to it. Could it be the change from full synthetic to partial and should I change it again back to full ? Thanks guys

#4 · (Edited)
Take a look around the engine bay with the engine running and try to locate where the sound is coming from. Pay particular attention to the belts, alternator, water pump, etc. Also just look around for other things that don't look right (e.g. vacuum hoses). You never know what those oil change guys are doing under the hood.

Also, 10W30 only protects your engine up to about 50 degrees Fahrenheit, so it's too thin for summers in Indiana (as is 5W30). It's probably okay for the winter, however.

#6 ·
what does your manual say to put in? Mine is 5/30 synthetic.
I don't know how that could be, unless you somehow have a different manual than is typical in the US. Here's what the US manual says:

Note that you are supposed to vary the oil viscosity depending on your local climate, factoring in seasonal temperature fluctuations.

#8 · (Edited)
Ya I don't know where you got that..
I got it from the 1992-1999 BMW 3-Series owners manual which came with all of our cars. ;) Flip to page 126 and prepare to have your mind blown.

I have even looked it up and it said "BMW's own "High Performance SAE 5W-30 Synthetic Oil"
Okay, great. But where did you look it up? And if what you looked up was correct, you would have also learned that the OEM BMW 5W30 synthetic oil, from Germany, is NOT the same as the off-the-shelf 5W30 synthetic oil you buy at the auto parts store or instant oil chance places in the US.

My husband has worked on cars for over 30 years and believe me when I say that is what is to be used.
I'm not going to believe your husband who "worked on cars" over BMW AG and the owners manual... :rolleyes: If your husband worked on cars for 30 years and yet somehow managed to miss what is clearly recommended in the owners manual, I would recommend that he stop working on cars.

#10 ·
Oh that explains it Mine is a 2003! Lol Well call BMW and ask My husband is very particular about things being done right or don't do it at all and Just recently on a car show we watch they gave info about what car oil to use that contradicted using what I have been telling you and after contacting them myself found that what I am using is exactly what should be used and was right. Now that you use the oil that you use, you should put regular gas in it as well. Hi performance cars are different than having a Chevy or ford or Toyota. Lol You get what you put into to them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.