BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Several Issues

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  joe1807b 
#1 ·
In the past week my 2005 X5 has had several issues arise. 1st the airbag light came on and is now staying on. Right after that the seat belt light came on and began flashing also sounding the fasten belt alarm even though I was buckled in (no one in passenger seat) Last night my headlights began flashing randomly while driving at night. Also steering wheel controls are no longer working. These problems have all happened in last week. Any ideas what the problem may be?

#2 ·
Have you checked your battery voltage? I vehicle battery that is starting to fail...or has very low voltage...can cause erratic electrical glitches as you describe. Think of it like being punched in the head...everything becomes discombobulated due to the electrical impulses in your brain being scrambled. :)

If you've UNLOCKED your OBC...you can run TEST 9 to see what your battery voltage is...or if you have a multimeter...you can get an accurate reading. When the battery voltage dips to approx 11.89 volts...the battery is at approx 0% state of charge. This doesn't meant that the battery is totally dead...there may be some residual reserve capacity or cranking amps that may be able to start the vehicle...but if the battery is slightly discharged...it may not have enough "juice" to keep all the electronics going...again, think of a boxer that's been punched hard in the head.

If UNLOCKING your OBC is foreign to you...see the instructions below on how to UNLOCK the HIGH instrument cluster. There's also a link to my CarDomain page that has a description of all 21 OBC TESTs that will help explain what your are seeing once the OBC is unlocked:

#4 ·
After cleaning the interior of my vehicle two day's ago, My air bag light came on. Once you start the car, the regular light will come on and go off as normal, but the air bag light blinks once and stays on. I've checked all wires under the seat. i made sure I was very careful. I used a damp hot towel to wipe down by dash, seats, center console and side door panels. making sure that the damp warm watered wash cloth was just that. a little damp to remove dust & dirt. on the said areas. When applied, there was only a very slight moisture on the areas, doors open and quickly dried within a minute if that. I was very careful.

Coincidence?

I see that you have to have a special code reader to read this specific codes for the air bag & reset. Like the Peak module for the Air Bags and well as the Engine Code

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

~Mud

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.