BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Idle Control Valve

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Screamin 
#1 ·
Hey yall,

I been looking really hard at my ICV and i have cleaned it twice with MAF cleaner and some Electrical stuff cleaner... Im kinda scared to get carb cleaner in there cause it supposedly eats plastic for lunch. But either way its started to idle much better on startup considering what it was doing.

My question is hgow the ICV actually works, is that little metallic flapper thingy in there like one of them springs that when it gets to a certain temp it shrinks or expands? or is there a spring in there controlin that flapper lookin thingy?

I moved it around a little and it got stuck when i pulled it down, but i cleaned the **** outta it and got it to break loose again and go back to its normal position, which is halfway down the top hole. Or at least mine is.

I searched for ICV but its just a bunch of people suggesting others that they should clean it. all that i saw anyways.

Thanks for any help or insight to how this thingy works!

#2 ·
#3 · (Edited)
UH oh... i think i been playin with something else and not the ICV... the little flapper thingy looks the same though except mine is plastic and mounted on the side of the intake and has a little plug for it and stuff... its easier to take pictures instead, so i guess ill do that tomorrow...

found a picture of it here online... but it doesnt show the part that im interested in and there isnt any DIYs that i have found with this particulatr ICV in it...http://www.bavauto.com/lview.asp?imgfile=assets/imglib500/13411435846.jpg its mounted ont he front of the intake

#4 ·
nevermind, im just gonna go all out in the cleaning of this bad boy... since in all the write ups i see everyone is using throttle body cleaner and some usin gas, ill just pour dome drain-o down there and clean it right up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.