BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Fog Lights wont work

20K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  hnaz 
#1 ·
I was taking a speedy stroll through our contryside one night, and beings Im military I live on base. We have to turn out headlights off before going through the gate for security reasons. When i turned my lights off I noticed my fogs werent on, so i pushed the button repeatedly bc i was actually just upset. but nothing ever happened. no little green "fog light on light" or fog light action at all. i wuld really like to get to the bottom of this problem,
I checked fuses, no luck. Bulbs are brand new, but my fog light brackets are broken anyways, i just got em rigged right now to say in there so they dont fall out. Could it be the switch or is there a relay somewhere that i dont know about. And how do you check a relay if its good or not? I dont have a voltmeter that i can use. Mine got fried by an idiot. Didnt know there was voltage limits on them.

Any ideas please let me know, i miss my fog lights....they have been out for over a month too. If the contact on my switch is dirty then that would be great news to hear. lol

#3 ·
my fog lights normally stay on with my parking lights on. Or with my low beams on, but they arent working either way. no green light. no anything

#5 ·
yes, my low beams, high beams, brake lights, parking lights, turning lights, side markers, interior lights, it all works. Just not my fog lights.
i havent researched that deply into it bc im even though im mechanically incline im not electrically. Ive electrocuted myself on a car and it wasnt fun. So i try to stay away from electrical issues. But if its an easy fix or someone knows whats causing it im more than happy to fix it myself.

When i electrocuted myself i had no clue what i was doing, i was just messing around with the car.

#7 ·
are you in a coastal area?

#9 ·
I have the same problem! It just happened a couple of days ago. They were on when I went to one location and after I restarted the car and drove home, I noticed that they were not on. I too have no other bulbs that are out, no fuses or relays out, and I have no green light in the dash. I am wondering if this might be the contact switch. I'll pull the unit and check to see if the connection is good. From there, I am going to check the connection of the fog lights themselves. There really isn't anything else we can look for except maybe hire the Ghostbusters because there is a ghost in the system. If anyone else knows of anything, please pass this on.
Thanks.

#13 ·
You guys probably have a bad switch. It was the case in the 92 325i I have. I verified the lights and wiring were fine by jumping the pins on 30 and 85 with a wire (this is after removing the relay) with the lights on and the fogs came on. I replaced the switch, and all is good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.