BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Need a few quick tips

1K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  BMWredneck 
#1 ·
Sup yall,
Getting ready to take a trip home and its kind of a last minute deal, need some ideas of quick things to do before heading out. Already have oil change on the list even though it should be good.
Would getting my transmission flushed be good before a trip? its about 1200 miles.

And if my tires ask for 44psi, but the car asks for something less do i just make a happy medium between the 2 or just do what the tire asks?

Im heading down to the store now to get new O2 sensors, havent changed one ever since i owned it and changed the other about 3 years ago.

Just wanting to make the car run top shape and not have any problems while heading there and back. And also looking to get some good gas milage since im low on the green stuff.

#2 ·
:DOil : :thumbup: - always a good call

Tranny Fluid: :thumbdwn: - unless low or noticably burnt, I wouldn't.
I just drove 5,000 miles (2500 there in 2 days, same back) a few monts ago and had no issues on my 96 328is.

Tire pressure: :dunno: I've always been told to use the tire spec. I did work in a tire shop in H.S., but that was 15 years ago, Holy SH!T!!! That was even before my car came out!

O2 I let sleeping dogs lie, if it ain't broke...

The other things I'd look at would be belt condition, coolant strength (A tester costs what $10 Canadian? spark plugs - how old, colouration etc. http://www.dansmc.com/Spark_Plugs/Spark_Plugs_catalog.html

Enjoy your drive!
:D :D :D

#3 ·
Hey buddy :beerchug:

Oil change may be a good idea if you are/were planning on doing yours within the next 1 or 2k miles.

Transmission fluid change may be a good idea depending on whether or not it has been changed in the last 30,000 miles or so.

If you're over 10-15k on your sparks you may want to pull those and have a look.

Coolant flush may be a good idea if you haven't done it in the past year.

May want to check your belts.

May want to check your tires again and make sure that 44 isn't max pressure

#4 · (Edited)
Im not gonna mess with the coolant except check the level, right now its doing good and im leaving after rush hour so i should be outta the heavy traffic for majority of the drive, my tranny fluid i dont know when the last time it was changed, it wasnt anytime that i have owned it but it shifts fairly smooth and such, its just something i been planning on getting done for the past year and havent gotten around to it.

Most the time i hear people flush their coolant and end up with some kind of problem, i dont wanna do a flush and then have a problem where i cant leave. I might do it after i get back though.

3yr old wires and about a year or year and a half old plugs.

I just put 250 in to some parts for my car thats a quick change. forgot the fuel filter though, but now my mom wants me to get plane tickets and i really would rather drive than put up with the lady that had to buy 2 plane tickets for herself even though i lose 2 days extra to spend with em... which isnt a bad thing to me.

Oh i bought a new belt too, not the AC one though, figured if that goes out ill just sit in a sauna or roll the windows down.

Thanks for the tips:thumbup:

#5 ·
I just put 250 in to some parts for my car thats a quick change. forgot the fuel filter though, but now my mom wants me to get plane tickets and i really would rather drive than put up with the lady that had to buy 2 plane tickets for herself even though i lose 2 days extra to spend with em... which isnt a bad thing to me.
:bustingup

#6 ·
I second that :lmao: notion

:lmao: :lmao:

Well then sounds like you got it all planned out, just bring a gallon of coolant and distilled water, some duct tape, and some simple tools and hit the road, you'll be good for anything!

maybe a toothbrush, i tend to forget mine and have to buy them all the time ><

#8 ·
i gave the overheatability a shot today while i was bored, drove it kinda hard for about 10 mins, then went downtown to find some heavy traffic.

im not sure why but my aux fan actually kicked on, without me turning my A/C on. I almost peed myself i was so excited. oh and it didnt overheat.

#9 ·
Well im gettin ready to make the trip back tomorrow morning, was kinda sad on the drive down that i didnt see one bimmerfest person. I passed about 1-200 BMWs too.
But i claybard my car and waxed it today before i leave, i never had any idea that the paint was so awesome when it is waxed. It makes me get a little aroused when i look at it.

My gas milage was pretty good, but not the best, it was around 30mpg with the AC on, but i was gettin almost 500 miles per tank, if i ran it dry, i always filled up at 1/4 tank and went 430 on that. It felt weird to be getting such good milage out of a tank but my mpg was lower than normal. Guess it was the AC, at least im hoping, last time i drove this trip it was almost 40, and the lowest was 38mpg. Idk, it ran like a champ all the way here, the cops didnt even notice me, and im really looking forward to the trip home.

BTW, DC roads suck huge huge balls, i mean really bad. Either that or something is really wrong with my steering and i only notice it in DC.

anyways, take it easy all yall, hope to see someone between arkansas and delaware tomorrow. at least one sticker would make my day. haha

#10 ·
Didn't notice this thread before, but I just wanna make things clear:

YOUR TIRES DO NOT NOT NOT SPECIFY AN INFLATION PRESSURE. NO TIRES DO. PERIOD.

Thank you. :)

They specify a maximum safe pressure, which is NOT the pressure you should necessarily use. Use the CAR'S recommended pressure as a starting point, and add a few more pounds for more responsiveness, drop a few for a softer ride.

Running at the max is not a good idea.

#12 ·
No need for a pic, every tire should have that. It's the MAXIMUM SAFE PRESSURE. You go over that, your tire could explode on contact with potholes or other such things. You'll also get absurd wear in the center of your tires, have a smaller contact patch, and a miserable ride. Generally you won't ever even be close to the tire's max. It's unsafe to exceed it.

#13 ·
unles you hate your tires and want new ones...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.