BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1999 528i Auto transmission trouble

14K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  bmw_n00b13 
#1 ·
Bought my first new BMW in 1999 and now it has 54,000 miles on it, just broken in. It's been serviced by the BMW dealer where I got it and since I got it. Problems with the transmission just happened and I'm told I've got to have a new transmission put in for mega bucks! I'm not a stupid crazy driver who abuses a car. I've never had any transmission problems with any other car I ever owned and I'm a senior citizen. Saw one recommendation on the internet that BMW transmission filter be replaced every 15,000 miles to extend the life of the transmission. I cannot find anything on any service sheet that says my dealer ever changed my transmission filter. Do I have a case? What is the recommendation? Are there others with transmission problems after so few miles? This is totally unacceptable in this day and age. I am a mechanical engineer and know a bit about cars and engines. This is outrageous for what is supposed to be a premier car. Right now I don't drive a Beemer, it's a Bummer and I'm just getting started.

#2 ·
The automatic transmission on your BMW is supposedly a "lifetime fluid" tranny fluid. It gives the impression that one doesn't need to change the tranny oil.

Before going the route of getting a new transmission, spend the money to have the fluid and filter changed.

What is the transmission doing?

#5 ·
According to Bimmer Magazine we can expect automatic transmission failures between 80,000 and 120,000 on all BMWs with the lifetime fill, unless it's dealt with early enough. Appparently BMW sees lifetime as 100,000 miles, i.e. CPO warranty.

#8 ·
Take it to a transmission shop; someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I think your car got a GM transmission, so it's common enough that anyone should be able to work on it.

BMW doesn't make their own transmissions, so they don't work on them***8230;somewhat illogical but think of the added training involved.

#9 ·
There ar so many posts in here about BMW transmission issues, but very few people ever come back to say what the issue was. Leads me to believe they gave up and put the car out of its misery. I am considering doing the same thing. I have a 2002 530i with a mystery shudder between second and third gear. It only happens from a dead stop. Otherwise the transmission shifts fine and there are no faults. I have read this exact same issue in many threads, but no one EVER says what the issue was. Does anyone have any ideas? Its not fluid level. Again, there are no faults, no check engine light. A few people have said drive and drive and drive until it faults. I have driven a year, and there are no faults. Any thoughts out there?

#12 ·
Has your car been read by the BMW GT-1 computer?
Look here for a good mechanic:
www.Bimrs.org
Or look in phone book, or ask around.

How many miles do you have?
If your car is a 2002, I would think that you have approx. 80k miles.
I would replace the old ATF and filter and see what happens.
I can't hurt IMO.
But, first, get the codes read.

Contact Jared at www.EACtuning.com for information about which fluids, parts, and if you would like to know more about Amsoil.

#10 ·
This is an older thread - OP posted in May and never came back. He just vented his anger.
OP should have posted what the symptoms of his tranny were? His is a GM tranny. It prolly could be fixed for less $$$ than replacing. Lots of tranny shops that know the GM tranny very well.
But OP should post what the concern with his tranny is. Also, it's the first time I hear about replacing the filter at 15,000 miles, but lifetime fluid? Something is not right.

#11 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.