BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
41K views 131 replies 42 participants last post by  Sophisto 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello all. I am new to this Forum. I have been reading a little into different things pertaining to the F10 5 series. I am not new to BMW. In 2002, my mom bought a new 525i sport package. It now has 220k miles without any major issues. Original transmission and engine. She is now retired at the age of 50, and wants a new 5 series. I have been convincing her that she would love a 550i over a 535i based off of performance. We eventually went to test drive both of them, and she loved the 550i more. My friend's dad had a 2013 550i with issues and he eventually got rid of it and bought a 2014. That kind of makes me want her to back out of a 550i but, I want to see how many of them are failures vs non failures. My question is what are some common issues with the 550i vs 535i drivetrain wise? I also have been reading oil consumption issues but then again 15000 mile oil change intervals are just simply way too long for any personal vehicle. How much more reliable is the V8 vs the inline 6. What are some common things to look out for while testing them out? And ideally, we are looking for one with no more than 20k miles and 2013 or newer with at least the executive package. So all I want is input and thoughts. So far, We have had good experience with BMW but then again, the inline 6s were more reliable than the V8s in the 90s and early 2000s. Also, what is the mileage you guys are getting out of your tires? Preferably the M sport size. And what about you guys with X drive, what mileage out of your tires?

Also if you have any other bmw model with either the inline 6 turbo or the turbo 8, feel free to chime in.

Thanks too all that responds.

See less See more
#102 ·
In terms of reliability, stay with 6 cylinders. Since they serviced my V8 fuel injectors so many times, I actually developed some sort of a bond with a BMW foreman. We bumped into each other when my V8 lease was up. He asked if I was getting another. I said I'd probably go back to 6 bangers car. He pulled me aside and whispered to me, 6 bangers cars are much more reliable than V8. There are way more engine issues with V8 than I-6.

#103 ·
The N63TU motor now in 2014 + 550i utilizes the 535 N55 injectors now. Injectors as noted are what plagued 550's from 2011-2013. I have a 2014 550 and put over 22k miles on it without a hiccup. (knock on wood). So reliability going forward should be on par with the N55

#105 ·
The only thing I find mildly annoying about the V8 is the frequency with which you must refill the tank as I start off intending to drive mildly and have no self control within minutes. I only say this because of your statement that she intends to take 4-500 mile road trips because she undoubtably will have to stop to refuel versus the I6 which most likely could make it on a single tank. Just something to keep in mind if you take road trips where you like to stay driving versus frequent stops.

Other than that one minor gripe I have no hesitation in endorsing the sheer joy of the V8.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#107 ·
The only thing I find mildly annoying about the V8 is the frequency with which you must refill the tank as I start off intending to drive mildly and have no self control within minutes. I only say this because of your statement that she intends to take 4-500 mile road trips because she undoubtably will have to stop to refuel versus the I6 which most likely could make it on a single tank. Just something to keep in mind if you take road trips where you like to stay driving versus frequent stops.

Other than that one minor gripe I have no hesitation in endorsing the sheer joy of the V8.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Good point. Maybe a 535d would be the best of both worlds?

#111 · (Edited)
Somewhere in the dungeons of these forums there exists a long debate about chosing between V8 and inline 6 BMW motorization.
While the modern V8 have lots of power and torque not a lot of owners seem to use these capabilities, the V8 is heavy too, altering the cars behaviour.
The inline six BMW engine is a longtime masterpiece and winning prices around the globe for best engine time and again. The three litre is a good performing power and torque wise choice for a five series car. If you are looking for extra torque, look at the diesel version.
One insight in the old thread was that the inline six is a smoother running engine than the V8 while the latter is nothing more than two shuddering 4 cilindre engines in a V configuration. Outside of the US there seem to be only a few customers interested in this prehistoric set up.

#115 ·
Somewhere in the dungeons of these forums there exists a long debate about chosing between V8 and inline 6 BMW motorization.
While the modern V8 have lots of power and torque not a lot of owners seem to use these capabilities, the V8 is heavy too, altering the cars behaviour.
The inline six BMW engine is a longtime masterpiece and winning prices around the globe for best engine time and again. The three litre is a good performing power and torque wise choice for a five series car. If you are looking for extra torque, look at the diesel version.
One insight in the old thread was that the inline six is a smoother running engine than the V8 while the latter is nothing more than two shuddering 4 cilindre engines in a V configuration. Outside of the US there seem to be only a few customers interested in this prehistoric set up.
You apparently don't understand how engines work, so I'll help solve that problem.

This is a typical V8:
crossplane:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NloXNKARXCM

and this is the engine you're talking about :
flat plane:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I29P3K6POu4

except even a flat plane v8 is smoother than an inline four because there are more cylinders to even things out. it also does NOT require crankshaft counterweights, which means it will rev much more freely than an inline 4 of half the displacement.

http://www.projectm71.com/Cross_FlatPlane.htm

here's the underside of a BMW v8:

you can plainly see it has counterweights so it is NOT the same as "slapping two I4's together". even if you do "slap two I4's together" you didn't do just that because the counterweights are gone!

#113 · (Edited)
Here are some pictures I took Friday night. And for the ones saying my mom could not afford one, her and I have been laughing at that statement. I made sure to include my Honda in a picture and their commuter E39.

Attachments

#116 ·
I've had both a 2011 535 xdrive and now a 2012 550 xdrive m sport. For me the v8 is the way to go. I just love the power. Not that the 535 is a slouch but the 550 has power all across the range. The 535 lacks the mid range punch that the 550 has. 50 to 100 mph in the 550 happens in a flash (and it's such a friggin blast). If gas mileage is not an issue (you will give up about 5 mpg's). I would without hesitation go with the 550. The good news is you can't go wrong either way.

#119 ·
Sorry guys, the remaarks about the V8 were not originating from me.
So the V8 is a smoother running engine than one or two linked 4 cylinders, thanks for the explanation!
The former discussion was about the six inline being a more evenly running engine than the V8.
Explained by the more evenly combustion per engine rotation of these engines.
I do not know what all this was worth, but there was quite some discussion going on.
And helas there seem to be quite some shuddering BMW V8 engines (due to malfunctioning, not perse by configuration) around...

#120 · (Edited)
Interestingly, a flat plane v8 (like those found in ferraris) is like 2 inline 4s from a vibration perspective. But a regular cross plane v8 like those found in BMWs is smoother than that. Anyway, manufacturers can and do a lot to quell vibrations regardless of whether a particular configuration is naturally balanced. Vibrations reported by 550 owners seem to be due to bad injectors

#121 ·
Yeah I quoted your post and I missed the reference. anyways even (especially?) a flat plane v8 would be a hoot to drive. the trick is smaller displacement or lower reciprocating engine mass. Imagine if the e90m3 v8 was a flat plane motor? it would've been even more insane.

#126 ·
So , this car is a 2014 (02/2014) certified pre-owned elite with 3040 miles when we took delivery. The dealer literally posted it that day with no pictures. We went there, it was not even on the sale lot yet. It was in the back dirty but we did not care because lets face it, not everyone cleans their car right away. But anyways, we told them we wanted it, went back later to take advantage of that .9% financing plus $500 towards the first payment, and what do you know, we have the perfect car. Better than buying new because of that low financing rate as well as 25000 miles more of warranty. This car came from New Jersey. So now the options:
-M sport
-Sport transmission
-Sport suspension
-multi-contour seats
-Premium package
-Driver's Assistance
-Bang Olufsun (Sounds awesome and worth it)
-LED Headlights
-Sun shades

There may be other things i might have left out but so far that is what I noticed it to have.

All in all my Mom is happy, and my Dad...lets just say, I do not think he knows how to put it into gear so that is why he is avoiding driving it.

I included 3 pictures of the dirty exterior in the back dealer lot.

Attachments

#132 · (Edited)
Back in 2010 Needsdecaf contemplated about elfenbeinweis interior in a Sophisto grey F10.
I was greatly affected by his deliberations and got my F11 in Sophisto with an oyster black (so not the elfenbeinweis) interior.
Not so many choices then, I ordered one of the first F11 production cars, two weeks after they came on the dealers lists.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.