BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Oil leaks on 2005 645

56K views 79 replies 16 participants last post by  rjwalsh 
#1 ·
Oil leak help: I'm looking for similar experiences or suggestions. I have a 2005 645. In the last several months, I've replaced the valve cover gaskets, the lower oil pan gasket, the oil pump and pressure switch. Today I learned that oil is leaking from the upper timing covers and perhaps the valve covers themselves need to be replaced if they are warped. I'm also concerned that the lower timing covers will go since it's about the only place left that could leak.

I'm currently at about $5000 and it could double if all this works needs to be done.

Anyone encountered something similar?

What constitutes a lemon?

I'm open to any suggestions. Thanks in advance.

#79 ·
I replaced that gasket once key word once. That was the hardest one to replace for me with the motor in. It's worth the $800 they probably quoted you. I had valve cover gaskets leak, oil pressure sensor, vacuum pump outer seal, and the alt bracket gasket. Other than that the rest was fine

#80 ·
are you suggesting I replace "valve cover gaskets leak, oil pressure sensor, vacuum pump outer seal"? I am just wondering while they have to take a bunch out to replace the alternator bracket gasket I might as well do some preventative or take advantage of the labour already being done. Thoughts?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.